Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6896
Something dosen't ring true here.  " about not going through proper legal channels, " why?

Its not like he would do it himself, like he procrasenated doing his taxes or renewing his Driver's license. There had to be a reason. If They CIA or whoever didn't go through channels. Where the ( channels ) compramised?

During the previuos adminastration The I.R.S. would suddenly Audit  a vocal political opponent of the President.  Is that what's happening now? Did they Tap Hillary's phone.? Something seems false.

Again ... an inductive moniter which gathers the small radio waves a wire emits and assembles it into data,
is a way of getting around the law.

"  These  were ( are ? )  legal  even  under  International  Law. "

I seem to remember Newt Gingrich was ( Tapped ) in this same way  "LEGALY "

Am I not correct ? does anyone else remember this ?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS

Horseman 77 wrote:

Something dosen't ring true here.  " about not going through proper legal channels, " why?

Its not like he would do it himself, like he procrasenated doing his taxes or renewing his Driver's license. There had to be a reason. If They CIA or whoever didn't go through channels. Where the ( channels ) compramised?

During the previuos adminastration The I.R.S. would suddenly Audit  a vocal political opponent of the President.  Is that what's happening now? Did they Tap Hillary's phone.? Something seems false.

Again ... an inductive moniter which gathers the small radio waves a wire emits and assembles it into data,

I'm interested. If wire-tapping is 'legal', what does the Bush admin. have to hide?
Why was/is he fighting so hard to keep it secret, play it down?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6896

Spark wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

I'm interested. If wire-tapping is 'legal', what does the Bush admin. have to hide?
I dont remember them Hiding ....  " I didnt do it "
or Denying ............................... " You have no proof "
I thought their response was more on the lines of " We did it,  it was legal and needed to be done, We are after all at War and we can opologize and compenstate later.

No ?
JamesDPS
+0|6744|Irvine, CA
The basic idea is that you cannot legally eavesdrop on a US citizen inside the United States without a warrant signed by a judge.  Foreign eavesdropping is a different story, and is obviously key to the CIA's operations (the CIA does not operate as much in the US, their chief responsibility is foreign intelligence gathering).  The domestic spying that the NSA has been doing, however, under Bush's orders and without court approval is illegal -- the administration is defending it, however, by saying that during wartime the executive is allowed such powers.  That's what's being debated:  whether or not emergency wartime executive priviledges allow this kind of thing.  The usual channel for secret (NSA) domestic surveillance is to get court approval in a special court specifically designed for confidential matters so as to not publicly expose the surveillance (and compromise the source of intelligence), but an impartial judge still has to approve the action.  Obviously, it's worth finding out why al queda is calling Americans in the US, but Bush circumvented the courts (he says in the interest of expediency), which is troublesome because it indicates that he believes himself above the law because we are at war.  It might seem okay right now when the people spied on have links to actual terrorists, but who's to decide how far is too far?  That's why you need a judge involved, to decide what is warranted and what is not (i.e. someone who would say "I see no probable cause to spy on JamesDPS even though he has been writing dissenting opinions posted on public websites", someone who would protect MY civil liberties, and yours, and those of other non-threatening Americans).

It all reminds me of that Jefferson quote, something like (paraphrased maybe) "He who would sacrifice liberty in favor of security deserves neither"--it's a fine line between the two, but when the government can lock people up, silence voices, spy on whomever they choose without any safeguards, and then write it off as necessary because of a war against an IDEA (like the "war on drugs", how do we know when the "war on terror" has been won?), the enemy has won.  Bush likes to say they hate us because of our freedoms -- and it seems he is trying to protect us by eroding them away.
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6766|Germany

JamesDPS wrote:

The basic idea is that you cannot legally eavesdrop on a US citizen inside the United States without a warrant signed by a judge.  Foreign eavesdropping is a different story, and is obviously key to the CIA's operations (the CIA does not operate as much in the US, their chief responsibility is foreign intelligence gathering).  The domestic spying that the NSA has been doing, however, under Bush's orders and without court approval is illegal -- the administration is defending it, however, by saying that during wartime the executive is allowed such powers.  That's what's being debated:  whether or not emergency wartime executive priviledges allow this kind of thing.  The usual channel for secret (NSA) domestic surveillance is to get court approval in a special court specifically designed for confidential matters so as to not publicly expose the surveillance (and compromise the source of intelligence), but an impartial judge still has to approve the action.  Obviously, it's worth finding out why al queda is calling Americans in the US, but Bush circumvented the courts (he says in the interest of expediency), which is troublesome because it indicates that he believes himself above the law because we are at war.  It might seem okay right now when the people spied on have links to actual terrorists, but who's to decide how far is too far?  That's why you need a judge involved, to decide what is warranted and what is not (i.e. someone who would say "I see no probable cause to spy on JamesDPS even though he has been writing dissenting opinions posted on public websites", someone who would protect MY civil liberties, and yours, and those of other non-threatening Americans).

It all reminds me of that Jefferson quote, something like (paraphrased maybe) "He who would sacrifice liberty in favor of security deserves neither"--it's a fine line between the two, but when the government can lock people up, silence voices, spy on whomever they choose without any safeguards, and then write it off as necessary because of a war against an IDEA (like the "war on drugs", how do we know when the "war on terror" has been won?), the enemy has won.  Bush likes to say they hate us because of our freedoms -- and it seems he is trying to protect us by eroding them away.
Well... I think the question of wether it has been done or not or wether it has been legal or not is a little bit unimportant in the light of the following question:

If it was possible to do this on a short notice... how long has the NSA been doing this now?

You see, the NSA is somewhat an internal intelligence agency, collecting intelligence in their own country. I would rather figure, they do not gather intelligence by just watching Fox News. One point has to be clear: Intelligence agencies always operate on the borders or outside the law. That's why there are no public reports on their activity.

By the way James: the quote "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." is not by Thomas Jefferson but by Benjamin Franklin (taken out of "Historical Review of Pennsylvania" (1759)).
One quote, that is often referred to Thomas Jefferson is "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"... though this quote is also often referred to Wendell Phillips
JamesDPS
+0|6744|Irvine, CA
Touché re: quotes   Again, I'm too lazy to run a google search that would have prevented the mistake haha!  You make a good point, for sure -- it does seem very likely that the NSA has been spying in this manner since their creation (and is probably why even their existence is something only relatively recently admitted by the gov't)... If they get their intelligence from Fox News we're all pretty screwed;  maybe I'm an idealist, I would at least like to believe that they use the courts to decide when wire-tapping is okay though.
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6747
Blame Bush and Mcdonalds they are the evils of this world
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6766|Germany

Berserk_Vampire wrote:

Hey... I like McDonalds... at least they got a broader choice than Burger King over here in Germany.
BEE_Grim_Reaper
+15|6766|Germany

JamesDPS wrote:

Touché re: quotes   Again, I'm too lazy to run a google search that would have prevented the mistake haha!  You make a good point, for sure -- it does seem very likely that the NSA has been spying in this manner since their creation (and is probably why even their existence is something only relatively recently admitted by the gov't)... If they get their intelligence from Fox News we're all pretty screwed;  maybe I'm an idealist, I would at least like to believe that they use the courts to decide when wire-tapping is okay though.
Sorry to say that, but even if it is said the hope dies last, but I think, the only wire-taps the courts decide are the ones placed by the police and the FBI. That's the problem with low-profile organizations as the CIA and the NSA... they are not really bound by national and international laws... If they would be, their existence would be a moot point.
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6747

BEE_Grim_Reaper wrote:

Berserk_Vampire wrote:

Hey... I like McDonalds... at least they got a broader choice than Burger King over here in Germany.
I dont like any of those burger places i do like the pancakes at mcdonalds but you get sick of it real fast, I like tacobell but you get sick of that very fast too
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6845|Perth, Western Australia
Burger King is called Hungy Jacks in Western Autralia ONLY. Wonder why?
JamesDPS
+0|6744|Irvine, CA
Actually even the CIA and NSA are subject to the law -- as far my understanding of the process goes, domestic surveillance (i.e. electronic eavesdropping) is approved by a secret court set up under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (so as to protect the intelligence or espionage operations from public knowledge, which would compromise their effectiveness); this 11-member court monitors the scope and value of the surveillance in order to protect ordinary citizens' rights. 

Bush has fully admitted ordering the NSA to circumvent this court, basically saying that under Article 2 of the Constitution he has that power to deal with an enemy who declares war against the U.S.  While I'm sure he does so for the protection of the American people, the troublesome prospect is that, over time, he is building more and more executive power without checks and balances.  And while it can be argued that this is nothing new -- that every administration has ordered these kinds of legally dubious activities (I'm not just trying to go after Bush here) -- the public reaction to its exposure is what's important:  it can't be tolerated.  When the public starts saying "the president can do whatever he has to in order to protect us" without question or dissent, it corrodes the core of the democratic process and system of checks and balances.
JamesDPS
+0|6744|Irvine, CA
Oh and by the way everyone should watch "Supersize Me" some time if they haven't -- I haven't touched McDonald's since that movie, except once for an egg mcmuffin and coffee on a road trip....  It's all about In 'n Out, baby!

[edit]: Back to the topic at hand though -- man, don't the French just piss you off? j/k -- time to put this one to rest I think...

Last edited by JamesDPS (2006-01-23 00:57:33)

Nubarus
+0|6821
[img]http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images1/rumsfeld_&_hussein1.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Nubarus (2006-01-23 01:03:36)

Spark
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS

Horseman 77 wrote:

Spark wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

I thought their response was more on the lines of " We did it,  it was legal and needed to be done, We are after all at War and we can opologize and compenstate later.

No ?
This is what I meant by 'playing it down'. Say 'were at war so shut up' then they forget
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS

Horseman 77 wrote:

Spark wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

No ?
i meant hide as in 'what are you talking about?'
and this sounds like 'it;s not such a big deal'
~ Richard Feynman
ProfeTa
+0|6729
I guess the Militay wins of Napoleon don't count right?

So what if they ruled the world for 100 years or more...in the end they needed help to win a war...Those French
/sarcasm
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6749|Tampa Bay Florida
Holy crap this is one huge thread   I'm glad to see so many fellow BF2 players who know what they're talking about.  I'm 15 and I've been to France twice in my life for vacation.  It's a great country, the people are nice, and I'm sorry to tell you anti-French people out there, but they respect ALL Americans who go to their country.  You talk about them losing wars?  Let's take WW2.  They were up against Nazi Germany.  Almost all historians are sure that if the UK was not located on an island it would've fallen just as fast as France had.  In Vietnam, France was struggling to keep it's colony and lost.  The only reason the US helped is because the NVA were communist, and we were doing it only for ourselves.  Then we ended up suffering a humiliating, miserable defeat, just as the French

Also, many historians believe that without French aid, the colonies would have lost the American Revolution.

For those of you who are anti-French, get a grip and maybe read a book or newspaper every year or so

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-01-23 15:20:33)

TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6885|Netherlands

Spearhead wrote:

Holy crap this is one huge thread   I'm glad to see so many fellow BF2 players who know what they're talking about.  I'm 15 and I've been to France twice in my life for vacation.  It's a great country, the people are nice, and I'm sorry to tell you anti-French people out there, but they respect ALL Americans who go to their country.  You talk about them losing wars?  Let's take WW2.  They were up against Nazi Germany.  Almost all historians are sure that if the UK was not located on an island it would've fallen just as fast as France had.  In Vietnam, France was struggling to keep it's colony and lost.  The only reason the US helped is because the NVA were communist, and we were doing it only for ourselves.  Then we ended up suffering a humiliating, miserable defeat, just as the French

Also, many historians believe that without French aid, the colonies would have lost the American Revolution.

For those of you who are anti-French, get a grip and maybe read a book or newspaper every year or so
makes sense

Last edited by TheMajorBummer (2006-01-24 02:46:48)

irarreF
+0|6812

FoodNipple101 wrote:

Fuck france smelly bastards there fucking stupid. They cant win for shit. There language is fucking retarded. So all in all we just xenocide them. there no good for anything.
Is this the official US response?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776

ProfeTa wrote:

So what if they ruled the world for 100 years or more...in the end they needed help to win a war...Those French
/sarcasm
napoleon was a n00b, didnt give enough food for his man.

most countries in the world do sell their weapons to dangerouse states, i have to admit that 1 moronic taiwanese commander sold our Night vision goggles which were given for free from the US, he sold it to the enemy (china) and that is kinda retarded
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Rosse_modest
+76|6835|Antwerp, Flanders

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

ProfeTa wrote:

/sarcasm

most countries in the world do sell their weapons to dangerouse states, i have to admit that 1 moronic taiwanese commander sold our Night vision goggles which were given for free from the US, he sold it to the enemy (china) and that is kinda retarded
Since when didn't he give enough food to his men?
He was probably one of the greatest military commanders to ever walk the face of this planet. His only weakness was he was a little too eager to take on everyone at the same time.

Last edited by Rosse_modest (2006-01-24 11:21:59)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6749|Tampa Bay Florida
Ya dude, Napoleon PERSONALLY led his men into battles, just like Alexander the Great and others
KtotheIMMY
+513|6823
The anti-military city? whatever are you talking about? I'm from the SF Bay Area and everybody I personally know recognizes that there's a difference between supporting the troops who serve in harms way, and the administration and political forces which send them into harms way.

Formerly of A Co 368th MI Battalion, US Army Reserves, Oakland, CA

yuck7777 wrote:

Research!! Were the hell did you do yours! A comic book maybe!! Saddam kinda misinterpreted an order from the CIA then Invaded Kuwait. Thats a new one!!! But, Seeing that your from the anti-military city. I should have known. What are you 12!!!!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776

Rosse_modest wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

ProfeTa wrote:

/sarcasm

Since when didn't he give enough food to his men?
He was probably one of the greatest military commanders to ever walk the face of this planet. His only weakness was he was a little too eager to take on everyone at the same time.
yes that was also the problem, if u fight too fast, u lose fast. But the greatest military commander of them all is not from europe... it was ghankis khan, ruled the largest empire ever. Took over china, he failed in japan coz there was a typhoon and destroyed all his ships (4k ships!!!). reached hungary...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard