Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6712
I love music and i'm sure a lot of you do... but music in the last 8 years or so sucks...
what happened?

90s...
Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam
Rage against the machine
Sound Garden
Radiohead
Counting Crows
Hootie
Gin Blossoms
NIN
Chili peppers
Oasis
and so many more...

the verve
Aerosmith(4 decades)
Stone temple pilots

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2008-08-09 03:00:57)

Love is the answer
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6435|King Of The Islands

I am
smelling like a rose
that somebody gave me
on my birthday deathbed

I am
smelling like a rose
that somebody gave me
cause I'm dead and bloated
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6526|Sydney, in 1978
It's just a jump to the left...
And then a step to the right!
Put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees in tight!
and its the pelvis thrust that really drives you insaneeeeananeyane

LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!

You all know the 70's was just better

Last edited by Mongoose (2008-08-09 03:22:55)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6515|Πάϊ
the steady decline that started from the 70's onwards is showing now more than ever, that's all...
ƒ³
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6526|Sydney, in 1978

oug wrote:

the steady decline that started from the late 70's onwards is showing now more than ever, that's all...
fixed. But yes its true. Who knows, if we do the time warp fast enough and long enough, we might just be able to go back in time
oChaos.Haze
+90|6434
You left hootie, but forgot Blind Melon.  Boycott it
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6515|Πάϊ

Mongoose wrote:

oug wrote:

the steady decline that started from the late 70's onwards is showing now more than ever, that's all...
fixed.
granted
ƒ³
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6712

Mongoose wrote:

It's just a jump to the left...
And then a step to the right!
Put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees in tight!
and its the pelvis thrust that really drives you insaneeeeananeyane

LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!

You all know the 70's was just better
I've gone to the rocky horror picture since the 80s...
70s music was awesome...
the eagles
jerry raferty
don mclean(american pie)
hall and oates
the Doors
Blondie
Love is the answer
Nintendogamer
+72|6583|Chelmsford, UK
its all indie rock nowadays, and they all look the same, play the same guitars, have the same long haircut, and the songs all sound the same, older music is better FACT.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6670|Canberra, AUS
I like many of those bands, but most of them have been superseded by Coldplay.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina

Cheez wrote:

I am
smelling like a rose
that somebody gave me
on my birthday deathbed

I am
smelling like a rose
that somebody gave me
cause I'm dead and bloated
Core is one of the best albums of the 90s and of all time IMO.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I love music and i'm sure a lot of you do... but music in the last 8 years or so sucks...
what happened?

90s...
Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam
Rage against the machine
Sound Garden
  Fuck you Chris for Audioslave
Radiohead
Counting Crows
Hootie
Gin Blossoms
NIN
Chili peppers
Oasis
and so many more...

the verve
Aerosmith(4 decades)
Stone temple pilots
jsnipy
+3,276|6518|...

saying "Music sucks Now" mean you are getting older.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire
Music was waaaaay better about 10-15 years ago all the way back to the 70's but there are still some good bands around nowadays, you just have to find them...

Arcade Fire
God Is An Astronaut
Sigur Ros
Mogwai
Maps
Tool
Queens Of The Stone Age
Radiohead (still going and still innovating)
Portishead (still going and still innovating)
Bjork (still going and still innovating)
NIN (still going and still innovating)
The Residents (still going and still innovating)

...but I agree, it's no comparison when looked at along side the likes of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Supertramp, Graham Central Station, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mazzy Star, Stone temple Pilots, Alice In Chains etc. etc.
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5951|Minnesota
zach from rage has a side project called one day as a lion just so you know
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
Well let me hire the worlds smallest violin and play the worlds saddest song, just for you.

Or are you going to bitch about how that was better in the old days too.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
Music doesn't suck, you're just out of touch with new exciting releases.

You do realize you're one step closer to becoming your dad when you talk about modern music being tosh, and old classics being the best . I think it's just a sense of nostalgia and memories of excitement that make you believe the old music was better. Quite honestly most of my music is from 1990 onwards and I don't regard any of it as crap, although I can definitely see where you're coming from about modern-releases being awful... but I think that's only looking at it from the mainstream perspective. If you base your opinion off an hour's worth of MTV-viewing, then sure music must seem like aural torture nowadays. But people stop listening to that crap at age 14; the 'MTV Generation' are nothing more than uncultured music-fans that haven't developed their own tastes yet.

Baddock wrote:

I agree with your entire post and +1 your music taste, but come on That made me laugh. Trent is still doing the angsty pseudo-industrial stuff he was doing back on Pretty Hate Machine. Albeit a lot more watered down for a bigger consumer market. As if he was even 'innovating' in the first place anyway- way to rip on acts like Skinny Puppy!

Besides no one has ever touched the Romanticist era of music! Even all those 1970's rock bands sounded terrible to me! Give me some Vivaldi and let me be! Now that's taking the 'over time music gets worse' approach to a real extreme!

Last edited by Uzique (2008-08-09 08:48:32)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Django Reinhardt ftw.
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6401|Earth
Jazz is just as good as ever nowadays, maybe better than back in the day when it was the most popular type of music.
Signature
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6757

music has pretty much always sucked.  thats why i think i own a total of 3 cd's..................somewhere in the attic.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire

Uzique wrote:

Baddock wrote:

I agree with your entire post and +1 your music taste, but come on That made me laugh. Trent is still doing the angsty pseudo-industrial stuff he was doing back on Pretty Hate Machine. Albeit a lot more watered down for a bigger consumer market. As if he was even 'innovating' in the first place anyway- way to rip on acts like Skinny Puppy!
I'll agree with you that he may not be turning out stuff as consistently good as his 90's material and that the themes of his music aren't wildly different to what he's been doing before but he is producing some stuff that could stand beside his earlier material and hold it's own no problem; 'Survivalism' and 'The beginning Of The End' wouldn't sound out of place on 'The Downward Spiral', his recent 'Ghosts' instrumental album is as good as any music he's ever written and recent singles like 'Discipline' manage to successfully combine his own Industrial sound with a more mainstream sound (which usually fails miserably). And to say he built a career on ripping off people like Skinny Puppy is a bit of stretch, he took what they were doing and done it better; I have quite a few Skinny Puppy albums and they're nowhere near Reznor's better material.

Where NIN are still truly innovative is the way in which they are approaching the digital era. The concept and design of the Year Zero album was fantastic, even if the album was a bit patchy. They are also leading the way, along with people like Radiohead, in the music industry revolution that is currently going on.
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.

usmarine wrote:

music has pretty much always sucked.  thats why i think i own a total of 3 cd's..................somewhere in the attic.
I think I've got 2, none of which I bought. I had about 70 songs on my old computer but cba downloading them again. I wouldn't listent ot them anyway.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire

usmarine wrote:

Music has always sucked? I'm afraid I disagree. Ever listened to Beethoven's ninth symphony?
Brasso
+1,549|6626

sergeriver wrote:

Sound Garden  Fuck you Chris for Audioslave
?

Braddock wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Music has always sucked? I'm afraid I disagree. Ever listened to Beethoven's ninth symphony?
5th and 6th tbh

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-08-09 09:09:39)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
You people are too old for your own good, with abit of Liquid Awesome, any music can be just that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard