blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6663
At least that's what it sounds like if we're to believe "a person close to LeBron James" who talked to ESPN.com's Chris Broussard and told him that James is willing to play in Europe for $50 million per season.

The report also said that two Euro clubs, CSKA Moscow and Olympiakos of Greece already have contacted James, who can opt out of his contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers and become an NBA free agent at the end of the 2009-10 season. There has been a recent exodus of players from the NBA to Europe, including Josh Childress who took a reported three-year, $10 million-per-year deal from Olympiakos, with options to get out of the deal at the end of each season.

Arizona recruit Brandon Jennings also bolted to Europe because he may not have qualified academically to play for the Wildcats and he isn't old enough under the NBA's current rules to go directly into the league.

Given the weakness of the American dollar and an NBA collective-bargaining agreement that limits opportunities for a lot of mid-level players, it's no wonder many are looking to Europe.And there is little wonder European teams are willing to pay the money. WNBA players get more money in Europe, where owners get tax breaks for owning professional sports clubs.
Now, our first inclination was to think that James - or the "person close" to him - was just throwing this out there as some sort of leverage for his next NBA contract.

But he's going to get a maximum deal whether it's from the Cavaliers or the New York Knicks or whichever team he decides to play with under his next contract. The maximum deal under the current collective-bargaining agreement, that is the player cant make more than $20 million a year.

And, for a player of LeBron's years in the league come 2010, that's going to mean a contract that is probably going to start under $20 million a year, depending on what league revenues are by then.

So, what if he's actually negotiating for more than himself?

Or at least for more than what is available under the current system?

The collective-bargaining agreement expires after the 2011 season, and NBA owners have an option to extend it a year beyond that.

Could this be LeBron's shot across the bow, a message to owners that if they don't loosen up the purse strings he and other stars might become part of the global economy?

Remember, under older rules Michael Jordan once got $33 million for a season with the Bulls.Is it possible that James would opt out and go play in Europe for a season, perhaps forcing NBA owners to open up the CBA in 2011 and agree to terms that would allow he and other superstars to get even more money before he agrees to come back?

He is the one player who might have that kind of leverage.

And what if some other 2010 free agents - or potential free agents, if they exercise options - such as Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, AmarĂ© Stoudemire, Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, Deron Williams  and Manu Ginobili decided to join James on a European vacation?

That would shiver David Stern's timbers, huh?

source
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5983|London, England

Its too late for reading, 3 am my brain shuts off. So blademaster how old are you? just curious
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6253|Texas
I doubt he'll go. America is still the best place to play basketball, and the Cavs won't give up easily on their star player.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6735|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
I doubt he'll go.  These rumors are probably more of a warning shot to the NBA than anything else.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6460|Stealth City, UK
New York....that is all.
BlackKoala
+215|6343
He deserves every penny we pay him.

How he manages to take the Cavs so far with such a shitty supporting cast is beyond me.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6596|Columbus, OH
A minimum of three championship rings usually helps you become internationally well-known, but maybe my math is off.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard