Poll

Can countries claim jurisdiction over ice?

Yes48%48% - 12
No52%52% - 13
Total: 25
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
British scientists say they have drawn up the first detailed map to show areas in the Arctic that could become embroiled in future border disputes.

Remember when Russia planted a flag on the seabed under the North Pole?  After all most of the Artic is ice.  Can you claim jurisdiction over ice that is melting down?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

You can. There are bases in the South Pole region of Antarctica held by Australia and a number of other countries which have divided up the area and claim rights and have set borders.

To be considered part of your territory though one of the requirements I believe is that it has to contain a permanently manned (in this case research) station.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Countries can claim jurisdiction over the seabed.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

TheAussieReaper wrote:

You can. There are bases in the South Pole region of Antarctica held by Australia and a number of other countries which have divided up the area and claim rights and have set borders.

To be considered part of your territory though one of the requirements I believe is that it has to contain a permanently manned (in this case research) station.
Antarctica is land with ice on it.  The Artic is mostly ice over the sea.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Dilbert_X wrote:

On what basis?  Thousand of miles away from your coast?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
Time to break out the winter camo and paint those Abrams white
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6478|Latvia

sergeriver wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, colonization? The Brits still own Falklands even though it's pretty far away.
jord
+2,382|6669|The North, beyond the wall.
Yeah, who's gonna decide which type's of area people can and can't claim?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

sergeriver wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I thought the whole reasoning behind the Russians attempts to do this was that they placed their flag at the bottom of the ocean. (which to me doesn't fulfill the requirements of actually controlling the area)
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

BALTINS wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, colonization? The Brits still own Falklands even though it's pretty far away.
That is land not ice floating on the sea.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
The arctic, once/if all the ice melts and stays melts. It's just ocean. The Arctic ocean. Normal international waters then comes into it. Simple. It doesn't matter if some bit of your continental shelf sticks out into the middle. It's still underwater and you still have to abide by the international waters shit.

Like this

Note how your continental shelf can still be international waters. It's done by distance from dry land rather than underwater continental shelfs

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-06 06:32:11)

latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6648|west liberty IA
imperialism shall strike one more time only this time on the ice. Just claim it for the time being....
ReTox
+100|6490|State of RETOXification
If we can claim land and sea as sovereign territory why not the frozen stuff?

Now get off my iceberg!
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6641
Norway can
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

The arctic, once/if all the ice melts and stays melts. It's just ocean. The Arctic ocean. Normal international waters then comes into it. Simple. It doesn't matter if some bit of your continental shelf sticks out into the middle. It's still underwater and you still have to abide by the international waters shit.

Like this

Note how your continental shelf can still be international waters. It's done by distance from dry land rather than underwater continental shelfs
My point exactly.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6541|UK

2142 tbh
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
Most people here seem to forget that under that ice there's just water.
The#1Spot
+105|6531|byah

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Time to break out the winter camo and paint those Abrams white
Dont diesel engines have a hard time starting in very cold weather?
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6641
"All coastal states have rights over the resources up to 200 nautical miles from their coastline,"

So can Russia actually legally claim the disputed area of the North Pole seabed?
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6478|Latvia

sergeriver wrote:

Most people here seem to forget that under that ice there's just water.
But then, after some >1000m there is earth which supposedly contains a good load of natural resources. So, they will either find a way around the "Law of the Sea" or just fight it out.

Last edited by BALTINS (2008-08-06 07:28:51)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

I'll claim my spot and take a hair drier for anyone who decides to mess.
13rin
+977|6471
I guess countries can "claim" whatever they want.  Being able to defend it is where the sticky mess is.  The US has a flag on the moon.  Does that mean it's ours?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
jord
+2,382|6669|The North, beyond the wall.
You can buy a genuine bit of land on the moon. So if people can own that, then you can own water/ice on Earth.

Might be a good investment actually. Buy some moon land and then hope there's resources there.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

The claim is probably whats under the ice/water.. the sea floor.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

The claim is probably whats under the ice/water.. the sea floor.
Those are international waters, therefore the seabed falls into international law.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard