• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • I don't know if anyone can help me, but I may as well ask.
Bulldogz
Blacking Out the Friction
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho
So I've had a Compaq NW8000 laptop for a year or so now, but my brother was using it until now. I'm reformatted it to take it with me to college, and I tried reformatting with windows xp professional. All the right drivers have been updated (except for one which I'll get to), and I even got the wireless to work which was a pain.

But after the first few updates with windows update (I think after I installed sp3) windows update stopped working. No updates will install now. Every time I try they all fail, so I don't have a clue whats going on here. - Windows Update problem fixed. Thanks guys.

I also am having trouble installing the video card driver for this particular laptop. Whenever I download the driver (I've tried different download sites, and every possible version of the driver for this laptops card, and Gotten nothing) and try to install, it either gives me a "install failed to initialize" or something to that effect, or "INF error: Driver not found"

here are some specs for this laptop that I swiped from here

HP Compaq nw8000
Model Number: DU425EA
Localization: #AK8 (Finnish/Swedish)

Operating System Installed: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Processor: Intel® Pentium® M 1.80 GHz (Dothan 745)
Chipset: Intel® 855PM Chipset with 400MHz processor side bus and enhanced SpeedStep™ Technology
Standard Memory: 512 MB (1x512 MB) (333 MHz PC-2700)
Internal Hard Disk Drive: 60 GB 7200 rpm (Hitachi Travelstar 7K60)
Fixed Optical Drive: DVD/CD-RW drive
External I/O Ports: 1 Secure digital (SD) slot, 2 USB 2.0, 1 1394 (firewire), serial, parallel, 1 S-video out, 1 VGA, 1 RJ-45/RJ-11, 1 Infra Red, 1 Audio in/out, 1 Docking connector
Video adapter: ATI® Mobility™ Fire GL T2 (= Mobility Radeon 9600 /w 128 MB VRAM)
Display: 15-in diagonal (1400x1050) SXGA+ TFT with 16 million colors
Mouse/Pointing Device: Dual pointing devices: touch pad and pointing stick
Modem: 56 K
Network interface: Integrated 10/100/1000 NIC
Wireless Technologies: Wireless LAN 802.11b/g Mini PCI card, Bluetooth
Power supply type: External 65 Watt power adapter
Battery: 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Dimensions (w x d x h): 326 x 275 x 41 mm
Weight: 2.9 kg
Warranty: 3-Year world-wide standard (retrieve, repair, and return by HP; repair time 2 days)

Price: 2430 euros (incl. VAT) = $2920
also, using HP's auto-detect feature on their site, here is the site I am given to download the laptop's drivers from. I dont know if this is helpful or not.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I need to get this thing fixed before I go off to school again in like, 4 weeks.

Last edited by Bulldogz (2008-08-07 00:07:39)

RastaBlasta
+9|5718
You'll need to check the set-up instructions for this specific laptop. Some of them require an AGP-PCI bridge driver to be installed BEFORE installing video drivers. Its not only about installing the correct drivers, but installing them in the right order.

At least its not faulty, so there's a solution somewhere.

Could the windows update failure be because wi-fi isn't working properly? That's my guess.
Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho
Well, my dad works for Hewlett-Packard, so he just brought this one home as-is, cause it was a spare and he was allowed to take em. So it didnt come with any set-up instructions or setup disc or anything.

So in that regard, I'm up a creek.

Also, my wireless is working fine (I believe) because I'm posting this on bf2s from the laptop that is giving me trouble. and the connection is just as fast as my PC with a hardline.
tupla_s
+455|6563|Finland
Firewall blocking it?
Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho

tupla_s wrote:

Firewall blocking it?
Just tried that, turned off the firewall, and still failed.
DaMaster
+7|5796|USA, WV
Reformat again and dont install SP3?
Brasso
+1,549|6601

Start here, hopefully HP's live support will be of help to you.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
TravisC555
+118|6190|Cox Convention Center, OK
As far as the Windows Update problem you could contact MS Update support
Microsoft Windows Update Support
They were nice and helpful and eventually solved my problem.
bad-man
now say you sorry
+34|5818|one windy city

TravisC555 wrote:

As far as the Windows Update problem you could contact MS Update support
Microsoft Windows Update Support
They were nice and helpful and eventually solved my problem.
MS actually helped someone with a prob. WOW
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6549|Columbus, OH
But after the first few updates with windows update (I think after I installed sp3) windows update stopped working. No updates will install now. Every time I try they all fail, so I don't have a clue whats going on here.
Your Windows Update maybe corrupted. Happen to me last week after running the latest windows update. Email Windows Support, they are decent and probably send you a link to download the Win. Update software, plus other directions.

If you can't wait:
1 download http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/wi … 30-x86.exe

2. Save the file to "C: drive".

3. Click "Start", "Run", type: "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe   /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press "Enter" to install the Windows Update engine.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce".

Let’s now try Windows Update again and see if the issue has been resolved. Please let us know if this step has resolved it. If it has not, please proceed to the next step.

By any chance, are you using ZoneAlarm for A/V or Internet Security Suite?

Last edited by loubot (2008-08-04 13:07:38)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6707|Salt Lake City

Try this.

1. Open a command prompt.
2. Type net stop wuauserv and press Enter.  Wait for the message that the service stopped.
3. Type regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll and press Enter.  Wait for the message that the .dll registered.
4. Type net start wuauserv and press Enter.  Wait for the message that the service has started.
5. Close the command prompt and try installing your updates.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2008-08-04 13:01:59)

Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho
ok, agent_dung_bomb, thanks a ton, that fixed my windows update problem.

But now I'm still having troubles with my video driver.

I go into device manager and there is a little yellow question mark next to it, and when i try to update drivers for it, through there, it just says it couldnt install the driver.

I don't even know what to do with it.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

Bulldogz wrote:

I go into device manager and there is a little yellow question mark next to it, and when i try to update drivers for it, through there, it just says it couldnt install the driver.

Don't update drivers through there.  Fully uninstall drivers.  Right click there and uninstall.  Then download the drivers for your card from either ATi or nVidia's website.  Reboot in Safe Mode and install them there.  Reboot in regular Windows.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho

haffeysucks wrote:

Bulldogz wrote:

Don't update drivers through there.  Fully uninstall drivers.  Right click there and uninstall.  Then download the drivers for your card from either ATi or nVidia's website.  Reboot in Safe Mode and install them there.  Reboot in regular Windows.
Ok haffey, I tried that, and it still gave me the INF Error: Driver Not Found. Crap.

If its any assistance, even after I uninstall the driver, and the device from device manager, it just pops up again later. So I don't know whats goin on there.
Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho
I don't mean to bump my own topic, but I have some additional information.

So even though the outside of the laptop says its a Compaq NW8000, it apparently is a NC8000.

I don't know what else to try here. It's really frustrating.
ReTox
+100|6470|State of RETOXification
Download the file Loubot mentioned (WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86) and save it to a folder (make note of where).  Run notepad and copy and paste this into it:

net stop wuauserv
"WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" /wuforce
regsvr32 "%windir%\system32\wup2.dll"
net start wuauserv
exit

Save it as FixWinUpdates.bat (make sure it has a BAT extension and not txt) in the same folder as the file above.  Double click the BAT file to run it.

I had this same issue after upgrading to SP3, it's just a broken WUP2 config and this will solve it.
Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho
ok, thanks ReTox, I do appreciate it. But that problem is already fixed. I need to fix my video card driver.
ReTox
+100|6470|State of RETOXification

Bulldogz wrote:

ok, thanks ReTox, I do appreciate it. But that problem is already fixed. I need to fix my video card driver.
Noticed that this morning.

For your video card the only thing I can really suggest is to make sure your chipset drivers are installed.  If you are unsure grab CPU-Z from http://www.cpuid.com/

They have other tools there to so you might want to check it out.  Free stuff as well.  CPU-Z will tell you all about your motherboard, CPU, etc.  Find out your chipset and google and download the proper driver package.

If you have already done that then all I can think of is the safe mode"trick" mentioned above.
Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho
Yeah I am going to try one more reformat here with xp before I either send it in or something else.

I'll try your suggestion ReTox, and I'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.
dalmar72
+6|6491

haffeysucks wrote:

Bulldogz wrote:

Normally laptop vodeo drivers can't use the reference drivers from nvisia or in theis case ati, typically you are stuck using the ones from the laptop maunfacturer.  Did you install the intel chipset utility?
Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho
Yeah I have. And it is still giving me problems.

I may just have to use this laptop for class without the video drivers. I don't really mind, it's not like I'm going to be playin games on it, I have my normal Gaming PC that'll I have up there if I have a dull moment. But I still would rather fix this if there's any other way.
motherdear
+25|6622|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
the failed to initialize problem happens to my Nvidia 7600 to and i have found that omega drivers do a great job of optimizing the drivers and make them work properly for the different cards (that they might originally not have worked with)

here's a link, I hope it will work for ya.

http://omegadrivers.net/
Bulldogz
+32|5970|Rexburg, Idaho

motherdear wrote:

the failed to initialize problem happens to my Nvidia 7600 to and i have found that omega drivers do a great job of optimizing the drivers and make them work properly for the different cards (that they might originally not have worked with)

here's a link, I hope it will work for ya.

http://omegadrivers.net/
OMG. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

You completely fixed my problem. I did have to download an older set of omega drivers, but the issue is completely taken care of.

Oh man, karma for you for the next few days. lol.

Thanks all to helped me all, karma to all of you as well.

Man I had given up hope. thank you so much motherdear.
motherdear
+25|6622|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
no problem m8.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • I don't know if anyone can help me, but I may as well ask.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard