Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6714|Tampa Bay Florida

loubot wrote:

Dude your "Most Played Kit" is an Engineer, why didn't you break out the wrench & walked out on the wing?
lol

One time a plane I was in hit a bird during take off, had to wait a half hour for them to check the engines and stuff

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-08-04 17:18:44)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

MadKatter wrote:

usmarine wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

And your alternatives... are?
a runway.....
Assuming there's one around? You'd rather land on the asphalt than a grassy patch near the runway?
well of course assuming there is a runway.  if not you do what you have to do.

pilots are taught very early that a field may look perfect from the air, but when you get closer it could be a bumpy mess......if you can see thru the weeds and grass.  Same goes with grass next to the runways.  it is not smooth at all, plus you have taxiways and other objects that can cause you to flip or spin.  The runway surface is relatively smooth and even and makes it easier for emergency equipment to get to you faster.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6545|Austin, Texas

usmarine wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

usmarine wrote:

a runway.....
Assuming there's one around? You'd rather land on the asphalt than a grassy patch near the runway?
well of course assuming there is a runway.  if not you do what you have to do.

pilots are taught very early that a field may look perfect from the air, but when you get closer it could be a bumpy mess......if you can see thru the weeds and grass.  Same goes with grass next to the runways.  it is not smooth at all, plus you have taxiways and other objects that can cause you to flip or spin.  The runway surface is relatively smooth and even and makes it easier for emergency equipment to get to you faster.
/me shrugs

Are the underbellies of airplanes designed to fold (like a racecar) upon impact?
Whiplash
Future Aviator
+40|5805|Central Texas
I'd land on water if my plane failed. I'm like Jesus.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

MadKatter wrote:

Are the underbellies of airplanes designed to fold (like a racecar) upon impact?
no.  its the engines on the wings that will fuck you.
RastaBlasta
+9|5771

Whiplash wrote:

I'd land on water if my plane failed. I'm like Jesus.
Nailed to a flotation device?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

i had a weird experience with flaps once.  it was my second day of training in a multi-engine aircraft, and we were doing touch and go's at KSFB.  we were on our 5th landing when i had the smoothest landing ever.  i reached down to bring the flaps back up and noticed they were already up.  i never put them down.  instructor didnt catch it either until that point.  so on the next landing i had full flaps in and had a shitty landing.

anyway, what kind of plane was it ATG?

could have been worse.

Last edited by usmarine (2008-08-04 20:06:51)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6553|Global Command

usmarine wrote:

i had a weird experience with flaps once.  it was my second day of training in a multi-engine aircraft, and we were doing touch and go's at KSFB.  we were on our 5th landing when i had the smoothest landing ever.  i reached down to bring the flaps back up and noticed they were already up.  i never put them down.  instructor didnt catch it either until that point.  so on the next landing i had full flaps in and had a shitty landing.

anyway, what kind of plane was it ATG?

could have been worse.
It  was a NWA e-900?
Their next to smallest jet holding about 65.

Definately could have been worse. Flying kind of freaks me out.

There were three planes to get here. The second, from Houstan to Detroit was a really sweet clean, new looking plane. But there was disturbing cracking/popping noises coming from the top of the plane.

Nobody else seemed to notice. I felt like Shatner in that Twilight Zone episode where the gremlin is tearing the wire out of the wings.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

ATG wrote:

But there was disturbing cracking/popping noises coming from the top of the plane.
lolwut?

that aint right
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6172|San Antonio, Texas
They say flying's safer, but I get that feeling if something goes the slightest bit awry, we'll all be stuck over the ocean.

Good to hear nothing drastic happened.
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6762|Pakistan/England

TheAussieReaper wrote:

There's any number of flaps on an aircraft like that. He would have checked his manual or asked ground control and compensated with all other available flaps and air breaks.

Qantas had a hydrollic failure in which the fluid was spilling out of one of the wings and was clearly visible by the passengers.

That would have had me worried. Especially since the hydrollics is linked to so many systems.

Glad your okay though.
most planes now have double or triple redundancy on the hydraulics nowadays. i believe there is only one known case of a successful landing after full hydraulics failure: a DHL cargo plane landing at baghdad after having its hydraulics shot out by an AA missile. they had to control every movement using asymmetric thrust in the two engines! the sioux city crash was also due to full hydraulics failure when an engine blade disk blew out and cut through all three hydraulics systems and the pilots could only control the aircraft using the two remaining engines.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard