blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6656
If you've every wanted to live forever, legendary game designer Richard Garriott--also known in the video game community as "Lord British"--may give you the chance.

That's because Garriott, who has paid well into eight figures for the chance to go to space, is planning to take the DNA of several of his games' players with him for eternal stellar posterity.

The mission, known as "Operation Immortality," will launch this October when Garriott will fly aboard a Russian Soyuz rocket to the International Space Station, taking with him a time capsule that will include the DNA of players of his well-known game, Tabula Rasa.

The game's publisher, announced Wednesday that it will offer the opportunity to any Tabula Rasa player to have their DNA sequenced and digitized and added to the time capsule that Garriott will take with him into space.

Further, any player of the game with an active account as of September 2, will have their character uploaded digitally to the time capsule. Those who haven't bought the game will be able to use a free trial NCSoft is offering.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/20080730/t … 1000230752
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481
And the point of the endeavour is what exactly?

What a marketing gimmick.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6656

Uzique wrote:

so people in the future can clone them and bring them back to life
CloakedStarship
+76|6576

Uzique wrote:

An 8 figure marketing gimmick?  Right.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481

CloakedStarship wrote:

Uzique wrote:

An 8 figure marketing gimmick?  Right.
Clearly it's a personal ambition of his, that's the primary driving reason behind a space-tourist expedition... I guess he's just trying to renumerate a few of those 8-figure costs by offering this 'giveaway' to the Tabula Rasa playerbase. Of course this isn't just generosity- what is the damn point of putting a gamer's DNA in space?. Clearly the publicity and attention gained by this event is good publicity for Tabula Rasa and to a lesser extent all games that he's been involved with.

Ergo: Marketing gimmick.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6479
Richard Garriot (from here on out, Dick G.) is known for being the most egotistical person in the gaming industry. It's just a big ego-trip for him and he's bringing the DNA of others with him since he thinks they are as full of themselves as him.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5942|Somewhere out in Space
lel wut the fuck is tabula rasa?

wut

Last edited by N00bkilla55404 (2008-07-30 19:00:37)

i g
Banned
+876|5875|GA

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

lel wut the fuck is tabula rasa?
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6467|The edge of sanity

blademaster wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Well your clone will only live as long as your life would have been minus the years you have lived. So say that a man projected to be 80 would be cloned from his DNA at 40. The clone would only live to be 40. Sad really.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6656

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

blademaster wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Well your clone will only live as long as your life would have been minus the years you have lived. So say that a man projected to be 80 would be cloned from his DNA at 40. The clone would only live to be 40. Sad really.
ahh interesting
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6538|London (At Heart)

Liberal-Sl@yer wrote:

blademaster wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Wut if the real you smoked, and the clone didnt?

Wut if the real you/clone gets run over by a bus?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6785|Noizyland

Richard fucking Garriot... yep, that guy is a real space cadet.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6702|Devon, England
My friend told me that game was so shit that he hid everyone he saw in a game store as to not let anyone fall prey to its trap.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard