Oasa
+0|6783
First and foremost, I dispise the scope on the MEC sniper rifle. I hate it with a passion. I'm learning to use it but it's very unconventional and hard to get headshots with (for me at least). I don't mind the damage on the MEC and PLA rifles, but I'm upset with the damage and scopes of the USMC rifle and the M95... it doesn't make sense for the two guns to do the SAME damage. They have significantly different sized bullets coming out of them. Furthermore, I don't see why the M95 isn't an instant kill if it hits the chest... I mean, the bullet is HUGENORMOUS. I don't know if you know what happens when you get shot by a .50 cal bullet (let alone one coming from a big-assed sniper rifle) but it's pretty nasty. If you get hit, theres a hole in you the size of a pie plate. I know that increasing the damage would make it much like the AWP in the counterstrike, but I don't see how the sniper upgrade can be so generic... It's not much of an upgrade imo. Also, the lines in the sight of the M95 need t be thinned... they're incredibly thick and hard to use. Agree? Disagree? Something different maybe?

(oh and this site rocks ) (also, in the description of the PKM, it says its more accurate then the RPK and SAW, but I'm pretty sure it's not more accurate.)
Sharken
+0|6783
Agree completely. My main incentive to unlock the sniperrifle was that i could shoot pilots, but at the same time i figured that the damage would be higher. But as it is now the standard MEC sniper rifle is superior, but even then the unlocked medic rifle is better still.
With the L85A1 you can pick off enemies easier than with a sniper rifle, if thats not whack i dont know what is
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6808
you said it and i agree 110%
Sarum
The Angry Geek
+11|6818
Insta-Kill rifle = "omguberl33t!!!" = everyone goes sniper  = shit game.

Everyone would be running around with them when actually in assault roles etc, because it's a 1 hit kill and there's no real answer to that.

While I agree that its pretty unrealistic that it's not, I think it'd make for a crap game if it was.

As for the Dagunov (sp? cba looking it up) scope... that’s how it actually is.. it's not so much unconventional as "not the simple crosshair you get in action FPSs". It's designed (I believe, one of our several weapon buffs will no doubt correct me) to assist with adjusting for the distance to target. Doesn't really apply in BF2 because all the distances are pretty short, but it's the right scope for the gun.
McCullough
+7|6809
I miss the scopes from bf42, three thin lines and a dot in the middle. Perfect
Apocalypse416
The Sexiest Apocalypse
+55|6788
At least make the M95 a one shot kill in the chest and above. There is no way on earth you can survive a .50 cal shot into your chest. You whole chest would be 5 feet from your body.
77th|1st Lt. Werstein
+1|6781|Virginia, USA
yeah a .50 cal would cut you in half if you where shot in the waist...but i just cant believe people who stand up and nail me time after time with that M95...i cant seem to get the right way to use it...i always just damage the person or miss him entirely
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6800|USA! USA! USA!
I mean, if they did that for the snipper rifles then they would have to do it for all the .50 cals in the game...  you know, those turrets on top of tanks and jeeps and hummers and stuff?  Those are all .50 cals too.  Then you could just jump in one of those and spew death without even having to look down range.  Not a good idea...
Sharken
+0|6783
You could say that, but my original point was that the unlocked sniper rifle offers little or no advantage
compared to the standard sniper rifle.

Another weapon thats strangely ineffective is the Anti-tank weapon. How can it be, that when the
weapon explodes next to a enemy, the enemy can just walk away like nothing happened.
Ok i know its called a Anti-tank weapon, but still
Miakei
+1|6793|Los Angeles, CA
Well, I haven't had much experience w/ the sniper rifle, but in as far as the anti-tank comment...well, I kinda think if they did make them more 'explosive' it would turn into a Quake style frag fest. We'd see people running around and just shooting rockets at one another.
Sarum
The Angry Geek
+11|6818

Sharken wrote:

You could say that, but my original point was that the unlocked sniper rifle offers little or no advantage
compared to the standard sniper rifle.
I think this has been discussed a lot, with all the kits.

The unlock isn't supposed to be "better" than the basic weapons. It's supposed to be different, while still more or less balanced with everything else. They're a little better in some areas, and a little worse elsewhere. That means, in some situations, they're a lot better, while in others, they're practically useless. Its all about carefully selecting the right tool for the job, not working out which one is the uberl33t deathstick, an "I win" button, and using it all the time. None of the guns should be significantly better than the others, that would ruin the game imo.

Yes there's a big spectrum of usefulness between "no advantage" and "you'd be an idiot to use anything else", but none of the unlocks have no advantages. Some are just highly situational advantages (eg, the M95s armour/glass penetration), while others are more universal (such as the L85's improved scope and accuracy).
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6814|Bryan/College Station, TX
In quite a few posts expert snipers within BF2 (those who play sniper more than any other class and are good) have stated that the M95 does in fact have a higher kill rate over time and also has a longer kill range in their opinion. This could also come from a greatly increased skill in the weapon. The scope does not zoom any further than the M24 or any other sniper rifle in the game which misleads the user into thinking it has the same range.

Number one suggestion for improvement of the M95 has not been damage or accuracy from these veteran snipers. It was to have a 2 click scope with a further zoom range.  Zoom and Zoom+50%

I would have to agree.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Deedubya
+-2|6773|The Seventh Circle of Hell
When I first got this game, I was all about being a sniper, and when I saw you could unlock an M95, I was beside myself. I've personally shot the MEC SVD (A no kidding Russian Dragunov SVD, not the crappy Romanian knock-off that the game uses), and it rocked. I agree that sniping in this game is screwy. It's been stated that the hit boxes and damage models in BF2 are kinda jacked up right now. So I say this, wait for this next patch and see if they fix at least the hit boxes. I know I've shot someone in the head at near point-blank with that M95, and they didn't die...
priznat
+0|6818
Anyone play Operation: Flashpoint? Now those sniper rifles were excellent, because the scope reticules actually worked as they were supposed to! They had the ability to properly range a shot, either by zooming on the M24 scope so that the vertical ticks were the height of whomever you were going to shoot, or by the fixed soviet scope using the chevrons to compensate for bullet drop.

The MEC scope in bf2 is similar but it really isnt done properly as the chevrons don't *really* work the way they are supposed to. It just looks ugly and clutters up the scope..

Unquestionably my favorite sniper rifle in the game is the M24, I don't like semi-auto on sniper rifles! The M95 is ok but overall I'm still an M24 fan..

Last edited by priznat (2005-09-12 10:39:11)

LeGrandAssidomaen
Paper Is My Hobbyhorse
+1|6778
I just unlocked the M95 today and it is a really good rifle in my opinion. The main point is the armor of certain classes (anti-tank i.e.). It makes them so hard to kill, even with the G3 at closest range you can shoot your whole magazine (and hit, of course ) at them and they just won't die. Same with the sniper rifles. But when you hit an enemy medic or sniper with it, 1 shot 1 kill (as far as I can tell right now). So I like it a lot, especially because I hate the MEC/China rifle.
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6769|Long Beach, CA
I think the M95 is fine the way it is.  Seems to me the other sniper rifles are more accurate and thats fine since they do damage less.  The thick crosshair of it means you need to aim for body mass like torso.  I rack up plenty of kills with it and I never aim for the head because i always want to make a hit. 

If you want to see what a .50 CAL sniper rifle does to a person watch this - http://postarchives.entensity.net/07040 … sniper.wmv

You may have to cut and paste into your browser, and if it dont run hit the play key and it should.  I believe this is footage from aphganistan (however its spelled).
Ptfo
priznat
+0|6818
Please, if that is the same varmint hunting footage that has been DEBUNKED as footage from afghanistan you should be ashamed of yourself! Ah, had a look and it is.. Crikey.

The videos were taken from this varmint hunting site: http://rmvh.com/Scenes.htm (warning: innocent bunnies etc getting blasted)

I dunno, I find it kind of sick that a) people would believe those are humans being killed in the footage and b) take *enjoyment* in it.

Can we please put that stupid video being afghanistan snipers to bed please?

Last edited by priznat (2005-09-15 17:13:47)

MardukeV
+0|6807|Washington, DC

Krauser98 wrote:

I mean, if they did that for the snipper rifles then they would have to do it for all the .50 cals in the game...  you know, those turrets on top of tanks and jeeps and hummers and stuff?  Those are all .50 cals too.  Then you could just jump in one of those and spew death without even having to look down range.  Not a good idea...
i agree with you, but it is also my understanding that a bullet coming from a M95 is going 2800 feet per second, where as a typical in-game mounted .50 cal probably goes slower than that. (even though i found a page that the M249 SAW has a velocity of over 3000 fps, doesnt sound likely to me.  wolfgaming.net/bf2/specs/m249saw.html is that source.)

so IMO they should only up the damage on the M95 and keep everything else the same. but im sure i can find some flaws in that plan too...

Last edited by MardukeV (2005-09-19 15:32:21)

IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6764|Canberra, Australia
Maybe increase the damage of the weapon and limit the number of players able to be snipers in a round.  And then use the ranking system to decide who gets to be a sniper if more people want to be snipers than are allowed on a map...

I think the sniper rifle just needs practice.  I used to be shit with it, but am now getting a lot better and seem to hit the head quite often... One shot one kill.
SilentBob
Silent but deadly...
+1|6786|Nellis AFB (Las Vegas, NV)
With the sniper rifles it takes practice. I have the M95 as my unlock, but I find myself using the M24 most of the time unless I'm MEC or Chine...in that case I use the M95 all the time. The only time I use the M95 as a US is if i have to fend off Helos (l personally love blasting pilots) and/or medium to short range sniping where I know I can hit them easily. The MEC and Chinese sniper rifles just suck IMHO. I suppose you could get used to the wierd recticle, but...nah. As for long range sniping I think you should be able to adjust your scope for droppage and have a range finder built into the scope (ala Delta Force 2).

As for increasing the power of the M95, it would be kinda couter productive. It's already a very powerful weapon in the right hands. Making it so that it's a pretty much insta-kill weapon would absolutly ruin the game. Yes, I realize that we all strive for realism, but EA would have to rename the game to Sniperfield 2. I say make the M95 a bit more accurate at longer ranges and keep the power as is. If I remember correctly the M95 was desinged to take out radar domes of SAM sights redering them inoperable. Would be kinda cool to be able to take out enemy scan radars with the M95 hehe.

Last edited by SilentBob (2005-09-22 19:51:09)

Croak
+11|6776|San Marcos, CA
The SVD and Type 88 are not really sniper rifles, you know.  They're squad/platoon advanced marksmen weapons.

Here's the USMC version that's closest to the SVD and Type 88: Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle

That said, if the BF2 Sniper is meant to be just that, a real long range concealed sniper, the MEC and Chinese teams should have something like the SV-98 instead.

Last edited by Croak (2005-09-22 20:46:30)

euroSlobo
+0|6761
Well, all I can say for a fact is if you get shot from a 50.cal sniper (can fire aimed shots up to 2km in real life)
you would propably die instantly despite where u are hit.

I liked the balance between weapons in BF-DC and the fact that 50.cal kills in 1 shot. and to me MEC sniper and USMC sniper rifle really sucks ass.
Thrillz
+0|6762|Korea for now
i do agree that if you did make them stronger the game would go to shit... everybody would become snipers and it would suck.

if anybody remembers DELTA FORCE: BLACK HAWK DOWN shots from 1000meters

plus most good shots do almost kill you...

Last edited by Thrillz (2005-09-26 17:17:45)

CinnamonBits
Sniper Cat
+1|6765
Okay, everyone is saying that if you make the rifle stronger, things will go bad.  Well, what about the noob tube?  I mean, I have actually seen someone single handedly kill 5 people with ONE SHOT.

One detail about a .50 cal sniper rifle is that if you shoot one in a small room, the whole room fills with flame.  Yeah, the muzzle at the tip of the gun will dim it a little, but I think the flash out of that gun should be way way bigger.  That way, with the damage cranked up, if the sniper misses, you have a way better chance of seeing where he is.  This would promote relocating and add more complexity to the sniper kit.  That gun shouldn't be .50 cal if it doesn't drop any human it hits once.  Even if you made head and torso kills instant kills, that would be more suting than surviving a shot that should tear you in two.

Last edited by CinnamonBits (2005-09-26 17:36:45)

BrightAsh
+1|6787
Disagree with topicstarter. Remember the AWP in counter strike? i use to rush with it in stead of sniping. because if you hit someone, he died (even if you hit him in his little toe). So, develop skill or stop whining about the sniper rifles. i have no problem killing some one with one shot, with any sniper rifle.

M95 (Wich look as awfull lot like the M82A Barett Model to me) no upgrade you say?! have you compared the zoom range? my god it is an enormous improvement

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard