Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6537|Land of Cotton

Mavik wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

Roomba wrote:

Alright. You forced me to geek it up a bit: Newton's Third Law "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." It is about the exact action placed on the mounted part that the sails are attached to. So the forces that turn the sail to rotate will apply the same force in the opposite direction. The problem is that in space the friction is almost nullified. The opposite force from the sails mount may cause undesired movement that will be amplified on a free floating station.
forcing the station to spin would take a lot more energy than it would take to make a fan spin, depending on how loosely fitted it is onto the station
Otherwise space stations would be gyrating out of control from forces solar winds on their solar panels

i don't think solar winds have enough energy to spin a fan anyway, tbh
Right on the Newton but then you are neglecting something. In a helicopter the force to spin the blades comes from the engine built fixed into the helicopter. So as the engine puts force on the blades to rotate them, it receives the same force to rotate itself/the helicopter it is built in.
A solar wind fan receives the force from the solar wind/particals, the station just sits there and looks nice.

But I concur that the problem of a free floating space station would be the remaining force in the original direction of the solar wind that would push the whole installation away from the sun.

Well, if solar winds have enough energy to push a ship with appropriate sails (of an appropriate size), they should be able to rotate a fan - cause a fan is nothing else but a sail twisted to redirect winds and being "pushed" not in the direction of the wind but sideways to rotate.
At least you get my point. I was not concerned where the force came from. My point was that an applied force will generate and equal force in the opposite direction. This could cause unwanted motion in space. Due to the size of the station, the solar particles may not cause a measurable result. However, in space there are no frictional forces on a free floating station to resist the movement (I realize that it is not an absolute). The gravitational forces may keep it stationary. It is actually an interesting mix of forces. I say do it and see what happens.
Lynx14
+41|6016
1.Get Solar Panels
2. Put x sq. miles of solar panels in the desert
3. ????
4. Profit
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6508|meh-land

Lynx14 wrote:

1.Get Solar Panels
2. Put x sq. miles of solar panels in the desert
3. ????
4. Profit
well, aside from the terrible affects on the local weather and any plants/animals, it wouldn't provide enough energy really to do anything...

aside from the cost and effects of producing the panels themselves
fail
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6198|what

The solar panels would probably be covered in sand within a week anyway.

The only idea which could possibly save energy would be a space elevator.

You need to get it up there to start with though, which at the moment is not feasible.

And scientists are trying to develop a super strong nano write to support one.

But that will takes years to finalise and then produce.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
csmag
+92|6492|Canada

Archer wrote:

Archer wrote:

Here's an even more idea:

We maek car that runs on human fat and lipids

Gas companies pay for Liposuction

Obesity solved

???

Profit!
HEY GUISE LET ME POINT YOU TO THE WINRAR HERE

srsly guise

You stole my previously stolen avatar! I see no winrar here...

Spoiler (highlight to read):
JK <3 No fatchicks is win therefor your plan wins.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard