NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6360|Atlanta, Georgia
Alright it's 6am i havent gotten any sleep and i figured out how to solve our energy crisis.

Ok, you know how astronauts can be in space, push off a wall and not be stopped by anything until a wall or another force stops them? Well what if we took big windmill turbines into space, spun them at 70 mph and harnessed the electricity from them? There's nothing to stop the turbine from spinning since nothing in space is acting upon it. It's like having 70 mph wind on earth in a certain area all the time. The only problem would be getting the energy back to earth. It's possible right?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

Harnessing energy from windmills is a force which slows down the windmills. Law of conservation of energy. Sorry but your idea fails.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6734

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Harnessing energy from windmills is a force which slows down the windmills. Law of conservation of energy. Sorry but your idea fails.
Not to add the maintainence and energy loss due to semi-conductors on its way down to earth.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6412|The Gem Saloon
noob.
its only 5:08 here
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5949|Somewhere out in Space
Solar wind sails...now that would work.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6650|Finland

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Alright it's 6am i havent gotten any sleep and i figured out how to solve our energy crisis.

Ok, you know how astronauts can be in space, push off a wall and not be stopped by anything until a wall or another force stops them?
Due to zero friction.

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Well what if we took big windmill turbines into space, spun them at 70 mph and harnessed the electricity from them? There's nothing to stop the turbine from spinning since nothing in space is acting upon it.
Except for the internal friction of the turbine from creating electricity.

Imagine a bicycle dynamo (Although generators are much more sophisticated mechanic apparatuses, this is a good way to explain something) and how it makes pedalling heavier.
I need around tree fiddy.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6429|'Murka

You would have to expend more energy to get them spinning than you would harvest from them (as already mentioned, law of conservation of energy).

And there's no wind in space.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6360|Atlanta, Georgia

FEOS wrote:

No wai who woulda thought... Alright so friction in the machinery  fails this idea
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6602|England
Find Supernova
???
Harness energy
Profit
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6650|Finland

1. Cover Lunar surface with solar cells
2. Master the science of wireless energy transfer
3. Use nuclear power during lunar eclipses.
4. Profit
Mavik
+22|5795|Germany

DonFck wrote:

1.Cover Lunar surface with solar cells
Would look cool I suppose - as if the whole moon where of obsidian... oO
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6861|Reykjavík, Iceland.

FEOS wrote:

Yes there is, ever wondered why the planets closer to the sun are so much smaller than the gas giants? Because the solar winds were concentrated enough to blow away the gas around those planets.

I read an article where it was speculated that solar sails could get us to 99.99% of light speed and make traveling huge distances easier.
Hard part would, naturally be to stop the space shuttle, would take an enormous amount of energy.
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6602|England
^^ Well yes. But there is no "wind" (ie flow of gaseous molecules as we know it on Earth), more a plamsa jet of charged particles.
Mavik
+22|5795|Germany

Sydney wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I read an article where it was speculated that solar sails could get us to 99.99% of light speed and make traveling huge distances easier.
Hard part would, naturally be to stop the space shuttle, would take an enormous amount of energy.
Turn the ship around as you close in on the target system?

Problem is, acceleration would decrease as you fly away from the sun and you would have to pass the sun very closely to get the most out of it to push you at a reasonable speed for interstellar travels.

In this book series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queendom_of_Sol they use it - but they have a lot of physics tricks more up their sleeves.
Mavik
+22|5795|Germany

=Karma-Kills= wrote:

^^ Well yes. But there is no "wind" (ie flow of gaseous molecules as we know it on Earth), more a plamsa jet of charged particles.
Practically the same thing - but the solar-wind-plant would rather fly away than start spinning its fans. )
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6247|NSW, Australia

its 8.53 pm here noobs
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6238|Phoenix, AZ
Even if you could harness energy in space, theres the whole "getting it down to earth" thing for usage.... :\
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6247|NSW, Australia

we could just live in space

someone needs to design an engine that runs on semen,
chicks could be involved by stripping for us, wacking us off, or using the "pull-out" method

Last edited by Nappy (2008-07-28 04:39:18)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6241|Escea

Mavik wrote:

DonFck wrote:

That's no moon, its a space station!
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6650|Finland

M.O.A.B wrote:

Mavik wrote:

DonFck wrote:

That's no moon, its a space station!
Damn you for forcing me to post this:

some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6409

The only realistic way to harness "cosmic" energy is via solar panels.  Seriously.

That said, it would be really, really cool if we managed to build an enormous orbiting array of solar panels with enough space to allow light through, while harvesting energy of the sun and shielding the earth from some of the rays to solve global warming.

Ah well.
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6513|Sydney, Australia

TheAussieReaper wrote:

This.

Sorry buddy, that bubble burst for me ages ago, you can't get more energy than you put in, this means if you start taking that energy out (I'm guessing by using electromagnetism) you'll find that induction will actually slow down your turbines. The only way we can solve our energy crisis is by tapping into an infinite source of already available energy, like the sun, so if you made your turbine turn with solar sails then it'll work.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6798|Great Brown North

DonFck wrote:

Except for the internal friction of the turbine from creating electricity.
i told him that on xfire and he called me an idiot

[06:48] Nexus tbh: your an idiot
[06:48] Nexus tbh: i hate you
chittydog
less busy
+586|6853|Kubra, Damn it!

DonFck wrote:

1. Cover Lunar surface with solar cells
2. Master the science of wireless energy transfer
3. Use solar-charged batteries during lunar eclipses.
4. Profit
Fixed.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6465|Chicago, IL

some_random_panda wrote:

The only realistic way to harness "cosmic" energy is via solar panels.  Seriously.

That said, it would be really, really cool if we managed to build an enormous orbiting array of solar panels with enough space to allow light through, while harvesting energy of the sun and shielding the earth from some of the rays to solve global warming.

Ah well.
as in a Dyson sphere?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard