lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

B.Schuss wrote:

lowing wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

believe it or not, lowing, I have yet to meet a single muslim who would try to instill his culture on me, or force his views on religion on me.

Millions of muslims are living peacefully in western nations. who are you to pass judgement on the validity of their faith ?
I didn't, their faith did, If they are not following it.
of course you did. You explicitly wrote "in my mind they have given up their Islam teachings for a perceived better life."
In other words, you are saying that those muslims who have integrated well into western societies are really not muslims any longer.

And again, who are you to say that ?
As Braddock and Jah have pointed out, millions of catholics do not follow the bible word by word, yet call themselves catholics.
Religion is a very personal matter, and different people interprete/practice/live their faith differently.

The idea that you get to decide whose faith is genuine, and whose isn't , is absurd. I can't recall if you are a religious person, but if you are, would you take that kind of patronizing from a member of a completely different religion ?
I see what you mean now.

To answer however.

How is it so hard to understand that if you have a map ( a religion) that shows you the pathway to heaven, and you do not follow it ( ignore what is taught and do your own thing because your "interpretation" just fits you better) and take a different path, you are in fact not following the map ( religion)? Where is the confusion about this?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555

lowing wrote:

well I can not stop them from calling themselves whatever they want can I? That does not change the FACT that they are not FOLLOWING the beliefs of the relgion they say they are FOLLOWING.
Nor are Christians or Jews. Ergo your point is pretty....well....pointless! Religion IS how it is interpreted. Full Stop. There are too many ambiguities in each faith for ANYONE to follow ANYTHING. It requires interpretation.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-31 10:11:12)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

FatherTed wrote:

so are you a christian lowing?
Already answered this, but no I am agnostic
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

so are you a christian lowing?
Already answered this, but no I am agnostic
fair play.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

well I can not stop them from calling themselves whatever they want can I? That does not change the FACT that they are not FOLLOWING the beliefs of the relgion they say they are FOLLOWING.
Nor are Christians or Jews. Ergo your point is pretty....well....pointless! Religion IS how it is interpreted. Full Stop. There are too many ambiguities in each faith for ANYONE to follow ANYTHING. It requires interpretation.
No actually, I believe Jesus is pretty clear in his teachings, the problem is no one can attain that level of righteousness, so we have resorted to "interpretation" to bring it down a notch and start telling each other what Jesus meant over what he said in order to justify our behavior and our short comings. Hence the 20,000 different versions of Christianity. When in fact there really is only one teaching of Jesus. IMO of course
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

No actually, I believe Jesus is pretty clear in his teachings, the problem is no one can attain that level of righteousness, so we have resorted to "interpretation" to bring it down a notch and start telling each other what Jesus meant over what he said in order to justify our behavior and our short comings. Hence the 20,000 different versions of Christianity. When in fact there really is only one teaching of Jesus. IMO of course
Jesus never refuted any of the nonsense about women's place in society. You also ignore the fact that the religion Christianity, whether you like it or not, treats the Old Testament as the actual words of God: as followed by Jesus himself, who was Jewish.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Jesus never refuted any of the nonsense about women's place in society. You also ignore the fact that the religion Christianity, whether you like it or not, treats the Old Testament as the actual words of God: as followed by Jesus himself, who was Jewish.
You can not have CHRISTIANITY 2000 years before you have CHRIST Cam, no matter how hard you want to join the two they are separate books.

OLD Testament and NEW Testament. The NEW Covenant.

Christians ACKNOWLEDGE the old testament but follow the new covenant between them and God which is the message delivered by Jesus.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555

lowing wrote:

You can not have CHRISTIANITY 2000 years before you have CHRIST Cam, no matter how hard you want to join the two they are separate books.

Christians ACKNOWLEDGE the old testament but follow the new covenant between them and God which is the message delivered by Jesus.
Why didn't he scratch out all the Old Testament subjugation of women? He didn't even fucking mention their rights. Didn't care I suppose... Given that he didn't pass comment, I guess God 'got it right' the first time around eh?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

Why didn't he scratch out all the Old Testament subjugation of women? He didn't even fucking mention their rights. Didn't care I suppose... Given that he didn't pass comment, I guess God 'got it right' the first time around eh?
Who knows maybe

However I would argue that if by FOLLOWING the teachings of Jesus, by default, the subjugation of women would end.

If the NEW Covenant has a distinct message separate from the OLD Testament, and the subjugation of women was not included in the teachings, the npretty much you could assume it no longer fits the beliefs Jesus wishes to spread. Possible?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA
I am also wondering, cuz I have never thought of it, was the old testament written in the form we know of today during Jesus' lifetime? Is it something he could have had a copy of?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

lowing wrote:

Maybe someone can explain to me why if a westerner goes to a ME country he would be considered a fish out of water because his culture does not blend well in a ME culture, yet it is totally outragous and racist and insulting to say the reverse.

If that western gave up his western culture and adopted an Islamic culture, would we say he is not practicing his western beliefs, if he scorned women or stoned a homosexual? Yet again to say that a Muslim who comes to the west and adopts western ways and for goes his Islamic beliefs and left them behind in the ME, would be considered rediculous and insulting....Gimme a break
You make it sound so black and white. It's not like that at all.

There are levels of acceptance and what is tolerable in all countries and this varies drastically. Dubai is a good example of a ME country with a huge western population. The government there makes many accommodations for westerners, but equally there are lines that should not be crossed. It's not about adopting western ways or adopting islamic ways, it's about what is socially acceptable - which is a different matter altogether.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland

CameronPoe wrote:

OMG, Jesus was a Jew???  What a fucking hypocrite!  If you are going to start a religion you should at least follow it yourself.

The Jews are just using Christianity to control us.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Maybe someone can explain to me why if a westerner goes to a ME country he would be considered a fish out of water because his culture does not blend well in a ME culture, yet it is totally outragous and racist and insulting to say the reverse.

If that western gave up his western culture and adopted an Islamic culture, would we say he is not practicing his western beliefs, if he scorned women or stoned a homosexual? Yet again to say that a Muslim who comes to the west and adopts western ways and for goes his Islamic beliefs and left them behind in the ME, would be considered rediculous and insulting....Gimme a break

There are levels of acceptance and what is tolerable in all countries and this varies drastically. Dubai is a good example of a ME country with a huge western population. The government there makes many accommodations for westerners, but equally there are lines that should not be crossed. It's not about adopting western ways or adopting islamic ways, it's about what is socially acceptable - which is a different matter altogether.
No in the case of Dubai religion has been "interpreted" so a govt. can make accomodations so as to make as much money as it possibly can make from the west.

there are no "degrees" of acceptance, you either accept and follow the written word, or twist  ( "INTERPRET" ) the written word to suit your needs of the moment.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

No in the case of Dubai religion has been "interpreted" so a govt. can make accomodations so as to make as much money as it possibly can make from the west.

there are no "degrees" of acceptance, you either accept and follow the written word, or twist  ( "INTERPRET" ) the written word to suit your needs of the moment.
There absolutely are degrees of acceptance. It is the way you see all of this in black and white that gives you such a misguided perspective. There will always be appealing elements of different cultures that are embraced by migrants, while they still cling to many elements of their own culture. This leads to a sort of cultural amalgamation which is the sort of thing you see all across Europe, particularly London - it is also very obvious in a number of ME countries, but is not restricted to the scope of this debate (about Muslims), since it can be seen in loads of other countries which have been significantly influenced by others (the commonwealth being an example).

Nothing. Absolutely nothing, is EVER black and white. Everything is shades of grey.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

Nope, their culture does not hold the same values in society as ours, so t oaccept their culture would be to accept women as inferior, and homosexuality as a crime etc......
Stop hammer time.  I don't percive women as worthless or homosexuality a crime, so that doesn't hold water.  It's like saying all Christians are war mongers based on a few (demented) people you've proberbly heard of...
Where in the teachings of Islam ( and it might)  does it hold women as equals or homosexuality as acceptable? If it does not teach this, then you are not following Islam are you?
In the story of paradise lost Islam regards man and woman as equally culpable whereas Christianity holds woman to blame for leading man astray.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

I follow Islam how i see fit and you don't have the right to tell me what i can and can't do based on what you've read on how islam should be followed.  You're a infidel for god sake.

Are you telling me you explicitly follow every law and rule hard and fast? Never jaywalked? Sped? Farted in an enclosed public space? Because it seems its what you want muslims to do.
If you follow Islam "how you see fit", then you are not following Islam. You are following a religion that you have made up to fit your lifestyle, your agenda, your beliefs, for nothing more than your convenience. You have simply stole SOME ideas from one religion t ofill in the blanks. Call it something else, because Islam is taken.

Funny you should use those examples. Yeah I have jaywalked, sped, and by doing so isn't FOLLOWING the rules now is it? Thanks for proving my point.
If you don't follow the laws of the United States of America then you're not a law abiding American citizen.   That means you should be jailed and throughly punished.  Simple isn't?  You pull me up for not being a true follower of islam as i dont explicity follow every rule and yet vindicate yourself using the same principle. 

So i guess by your defination above i am not a muslim, well gee whatever shall i do?! Again, you dont have the right to tell me what i am.  Maybe if you were a muslim but we have enough nutjobs as it is.  Application: Denied.

Back on point, teachings are one thing lowing, how they are interpreted and followed are quite another.  Only a fool will follow them explicity. Hint; they're usually called extermists and you kinda fit their profile quite nicely.
Right again Method, if  Ido not follow the laws of the US then I am not a law abiding citizen. If I get caught I DO get punished. If you are not following the teachings of ISLAM then you are not a FOLLOWER of ISLAM. I love how you keep making my points for me. Thank you.

I have no idea if you are Muslim or not, I know you can call yourself anything you want. We already discussed how teachings are interpreted, they are done for your convenience and to satisfy your agenda. If only a fool would follow the teachings of Islam why are you eager to claim Islam as your religion of choice, since you have no intention of following it?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire
@ Lowing

Would you rather Muslims were interpreting the Qu'ran word for word in it's most extremist form or blending in with modern society?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Stop hammer time.  I don't percive women as worthless or homosexuality a crime, so that doesn't hold water.  It's like saying all Christians are war mongers based on a few (demented) people you've proberbly heard of...
Where in the teachings of Islam ( and it might)  does it hold women as equals or homosexuality as acceptable? If it does not teach this, then you are not following Islam are you?
In the story of paradise lost Islam regards man and woman as equally culpable whereas Christianity holds woman to blame for leading man astray.
Really? CHRISTIANITY meaning the teachings of CHRIST, says this??
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Did Jesus Christ get baptised, yes or no?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Did Jesus Christ get baptised, yes or no?
You forget, lowing likes to pretend that the old testament is not a fundamental part of Christianity. He thinks it's all just the new testament, with the old testament thrown in for good measure - whereas it's actually the old testament as the fundamentals and the new testament as a big old amendment of that.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

There absolutely are degrees of acceptance. It is the way you see all of this in black and white that gives you such a misguided perspective. There will always be appealing elements of different cultures that are embraced by migrants, while they still cling to many elements of their own culture. This leads to a sort of cultural amalgamation which is the sort of thing you see all across Europe, particularly London - it is also very obvious in a number of ME countries, but is not restricted to the scope of this debate (about Muslims), since it can be seen in loads of other countries which have been significantly influenced by others (the commonwealth being an example).

Nothing. Absolutely nothing, is EVER black and white. Everything is shades of grey.
Nope you are comparing social acceptances with RELIGIOUS teachings. 2 very differnt things. Socially we can all bend t oaccomadate anything we please. Interpretation of a written word is to bend that word into something YOU can use for your own agenda.

Our Constitution is a perfect example. The word is written, but depending on which side of the debate you are on, you will twist the word or exclude parts of it, to support your position. Totally disregarding the intent. By doing so you have changed what has been written, so you might as well come up with your own laws ( start a new religion ) to support whatever it is you wanna believe to be true.

I do not believe everything is shades of grey.

You are either a virgin or you are not

You are either pregnant or you are not

You either adhere to your religion or you do not. How you think you can be able to ONLY adhere to those parts of a religion that suits you is beyond me. I love your ideaa of an effortless religion, no sacrificing of ones self, no devotion and total justification for your actions because you have "interpreted" the word to grant it. Gimme a break. You have created your own religion by doing this bullshit.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Nope you are comparing social acceptances with RELIGIOUS teachings. 2 very differnt things. Socially we can all bend t oaccomadate anything we please. Interpretation of a written word is to bend that word into something YOU can use for your own agenda.

Our Constitution is a perfect example. The word is written, but depending on which side of the debate you are on, you will twist the word or exclude parts of it, to support your position. Totally disregarding the intent. By doing so you have changed what has been written, so you might as well come up with your own laws ( start a new religion ) to support whatever it is you wanna believe to be true.

You either adhere to your religion or you do not. How you think you can be able to ONLY adhere to those parts of a religion that suits you is beyond me. I love your ideaa of an effortless religion, no sacrificing of ones self, no devotion and total justification for your actions because you have "interpreted" the word to grant it. Gimme a break. You have created your own religion by doing this bullshit.
Wow. You really don't have much grasp of what religion is then do you?

Religion IS interpretation. Just look at the history of any major religion. I can't believe you seem to have so much trouble with such a simple concept.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-07-31 15:30:52)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Braddock wrote:

@ Lowing

Would you rather Muslims were interpreting the Qu'ran word for word in it's most extremist form or blending in with modern society?
I would rather thet blend in, but by doing so they are not practicing Islam as it is taught, now are they? Only interpreted and we have discussed what interpretation really is haven't we?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Wow. You really don't have much grasp of what religion is then do you?
LOL, Does anyone? At least I have a grasp as to what it has been used for pal.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

@ Lowing

I would rather thet blend in, but by doing so they are not practicing Islam as it is taught, now are they? Only interpreted and we have discussed what interpretation really is haven't we?
No, you've just made some (wrong) statements about it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard