Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

A mysterious “explosive decompression,” a swirl of debris inside the cabin, the masks come down, the plane drops almost four miles in the air. And naturally some guy in coach thinks, “I need to film this,” and whips out his video camera.

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6744|Toronto | Canada

mad respect to pilot
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6483|Communist Republic of CA, USA
Excellent job by the pilots.  Although, I don't think the plane so much "Dropped" 4 miles, as they flew it down to under 10,000 feet.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5796|Dublin, Ohio
didnt look too scary to me tbh
The#1Spot
+105|6545|byah

usmarine2 wrote:

Agreed.  It was falling about 15 more or less ft per second. God i hate it when bitches scream.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6690|Espoo, Finland
"the plane drops almost four miles in the air"

Haven't read the whole story but anyway.
Asuming they lost cabin pressure (masks are down) it's quite obvious that they drop altitude as quick as possible.
Outside temperature at cruise altitude (around 35000feet) is between 40-60 below zero C not to mention the lack of oxygen.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6695|Tampa Bay Florida

The#1Spot wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

Agreed.  It was falling about 15 more or less ft per second. God i hate it when bitches scream.
That was a toddler you idiot
Roc18
`
+655|5796|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Spearhead wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

You were there?
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6366|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR

Roc18 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

You were there?
it was obvious
Roc18
`

ceslayer23 wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

You were there?
it was obvious
I dont think it was, I was wondering whether it was a baby or a woman.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6695|Tampa Bay Florida

Roc18 wrote:

ceslayer23 wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

You were there?
it was obvious
At 0:51, you can see a woman on the other side of the isle and a little boy is on her lap
Roc18
`

Spearhead wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

ceslayer23 wrote:

it was obvious
At 0:51, you can see a woman on the other side of the isle and a little boy is on her lap
You barley notice that, then you have to connect it to the scream. Thats not obvious.
Mavik
+22|5781|Germany
Quit bitching. *rolls eyes*

Do they know already why it happened?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6554|UK

Roc18 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

You barley notice that, then you have to connect it to the scream. Thats not obvious.
It was a kid.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5796|Dublin, Ohio
who cares if it was a kid.  they were descending, his ears were popping.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6227|Brisneyland
Being Australians I am suprised more people didnt head for the drinks cart.
Seriously , good job by the pilot. Qantas has been outsourcing a lot of its maintenance overseas to save money, I am not saying this was the cause of the problem ,but I think their standards are slipping a bit.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

Check this shit out. http://news.smh.com.au/world/bomb-threa … -3hqp.html
I just stumbled on it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6227|Brisneyland
Scary stuff , we dont often get terrorist shit down our end of the world. Hope its nothing to do with the Qantas flight that decompressed.
13rin
+977|6484

Kmarion wrote:

A mysterious “explosive decompression,” a swirl of debris inside the cabin, the masks come down, the plane drops almost four miles in the air. And naturally some guy in coach thinks, “I need to film this,” and whips out his video camera.
I would have used the e-exit upon landing.  Dunno if I would have potentially filmed my own death though.  Future black box cell phones?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5796|Dublin, Ohio
Not sure how old this plane is, but this reminds me of that united 747 that had its cargo door open in-flight.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

It said there was wood chips flying around in first class. I'm guessing the decompression thing on descent didn't matter? I'm still not understanding how bad the damage was to the fuselage .. other than it being the size of a small car.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5796|Dublin, Ohio

Kmarion wrote:

It said there was wood chips flying around in first class. I'm guessing the decompression thing on descent didn't matter? I'm still not understanding how bad the damage was to the fuselage .. other than it being the size of a small car.
emergency decent is the standard practice.  you basically nose it over but not enough to damage the aircraft.  decompression would have stopped after the pressure equalized.  Not sure what caused this.

Last edited by usmarine2 (2008-07-25 19:55:40)

usmarine2
Banned
+233|5796|Dublin, Ohio
reminded me of this tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MhrLb_2iNM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJurCsbgnW4

Last edited by usmarine2 (2008-07-25 21:29:50)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6680|Canberra, AUS
This was surprising, not least because it was QANTAS. I thought they were supposed to have the best safety standards in the world...?

Not sure how old this plane is, but this reminds me of that united 747 that had its cargo door open in-flight.
Old enough that they're nearing phase-out.

Last edited by Spark (2008-07-26 19:40:21)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jrdeacs
+22|5904
Mate those 346 passengers need to thank there pilot for saving there life...

Also have a read of this

A passenger has told of her panic as oxygen masks failed to fall from flight QF30 when it made an emergency landing at Manila Airport last week.

The 17-year-old Boeing 747-400 with 346 passengers and 19 crew on board was on its way to Melbourne from London via Hong Kong when the incident occurred. A large hole formed in its fuselage near the wing causing rapid decompression of the cabin.

Beverley Dawes of Phillip Island said she was one of four passengers who were unable to access the oxygen masks.

Mrs Dawes told AAP that a door in the plane's ceiling failed to open and release the masks. She said an air stewardess had to open the door manually so the masks could be accessed.

"I caught her (the air stewardess's) eye as she was racing along with a portable oxygen thing she was wearing.

"She put something up and they (the masks) went down."

Mrs Dawes said there was "a bit of a panic" when the masks didn't fall, describing the pressure onboard as "unbelievable".

"It seemed like an eternity, but I think it was a few minutes. We're very lucky."

Other passengers have also told of how oxygen masks failed.

St Kilda architect David Saunders said the elastic on his mask was so old it had deteriorated, while other masks didn't fall.

"A guy just went into panic and smashed the whole panel off the ceiling to get to the mask," he told The Sunday Age.

Another passenger, Paula Madejon, said she had to share her mask with two other people.

Mrs Dawes said she didn't have any problems with her mask once she was able to access it.

"We just put them on, and were grateful to get the air that was coming out."

Mrs Dawes had been travelling with her husband Peter throughout Europe to celebrate his 80th birthday.

They came home on Saturday to a house filled with balloons and relieved family members.

"It's a great relief to be back."

Comment has been sought from Qantas

Last edited by Jrdeacs (2008-07-26 20:23:28)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard