ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
I'm failing uni.  Not because I'm not able to pass the courses.  Everything I've submitted has been graded well.  And my not submitting work isn't a result of my not being interested or willing.  I am.  I honestly don't know why I don't.  It's like I don't care enough.  The work I'm doing is the sort of stuff I live for (wanting to major in Philosophy).  Yet for some reason I don't care enough to do it.  And yet I do care about it.  Alot.  I don't fucking know what to do.

Thoughts?
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)
1. Go talk to your tutors (they're there to help, but if you don't ask for help they can not help you).
2. Take a break (having got the permission to do so in step 1).
3. Come back with renewed vigour.
4. Profit...
Defiance
+438|6669

So you're problem is you don't turn work in, you don't know why, but it's not because you're slacking off. No, that actually seems quite likely.

You may find the subject interesting but you've got to get past the grunt work before everything becomes fun.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5963|London, England

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

1. Go talk to your tutors (they're there to help, but if you don't ask for help they can not help you).
2. Take a break (having got the permission to do so in step 1).
3. Come back with renewed vigour.
4. Profit...
That was the only time I've seen that meme used where it gave good agvice
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
No.  As in just get a letter saying I'll be kicked out for failing the last 2 semesters unless I can show cause.

But that's not even the part that really worries me.  The part that worries me is a I should be loving this.  It's everything I want to do.  And instead I avoid it doing things that don't even really make me happy (like watching TV or bumming around on the internet).
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825

Defiance wrote:

You may find the subject interesting but you've got to get past the grunt work before everything becomes fun.
It's the grunt work that I love.
Defiance
+438|6669

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Defiance wrote:

It's the grunt work that I love.
So what is it exactly that you're not turning in? From your post I understand that what you do turn in returns good grades but it's what you don't turn in that is dropping your overall grade. The only other thing I could think of is that you're classes are passing as far as grades go but you're just not happy at uni. Which is it?

Last edited by Defiance (2008-07-21 22:31:46)

ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
I'm not turning in the major assesment pieces because I keep putting them off despite the fact that I find them fascinating.

Whilst I don't know that I'm exactly enjoying uni, I can't think of anything I'd enjoy more.
Defiance
+438|6669

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I'm not turning in the major assesment pieces because I keep putting them off despite the fact that I find them fascinating.

Whilst I don't know that I'm exactly enjoying uni, I can't think of anything I'd enjoy more.
Get off these forums and do them. Now. Tomorrow. The next day. Set up a plan so you work your ass off but don't exhaust yourself otherwise the work you do won't be top notch. Just get them done. I have a problem doing out of class work, ideally school would be in school and outside of it would be whatever. Unfortunately, that's not the case. When I sit down to do work I feel physically uncomfortable when starting (IE: this work sucks) but that uncomfortable-ness goes away 5 minutes after you start.

As an aside, I think the ability to tell yourself "I have to do this" and mean it so that it gets done is the second most important skill (first being logical decision making) and will further your progress in life more then anything. It will get you through your situation.

Edit: I'm sure at some point in your life you've done something you didn't want to do. Homework, research, running another mile, whatever. You know that feeling you get after you're done? It's exactly that, you're done. Being done is good.

Last edited by Defiance (2008-07-21 22:40:40)

ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
No, they've been an gone now.  I've failed the courses.

But still, the big issue for me is that I'm not doing, rather than the results.  I seem to be constantly doing stuff that I don't really enjoy.  Just mindlessly doing things.  Even when I go places with people, and tell them I'm having, I'm not really.  I'm just..........I don't know.  Just doing things.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6392|The Gem Saloon
sounds like you need a kick in the ass, bubs.
go get yourself a labor intensive, back breaking weekend job. that will put everything in perspective of WHY you need to turn that shit in. procrastination never gets you anything...only nail biting bullshit the few hours before something is supposed to be finished.

shit man, some people take a year or two off to go live life. then go back to school...you just have to go back after you have done what you wanted.

and why arent you enjoying college man? now is the time to have the experiences, make the stories you will tell later in life.
btw, coming from you, this does sound stupid.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
Slap yourself three times, hard across the face.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
I already work.  But I don't see the point in taking time off because I don't know what I want to do.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6392|The Gem Saloon
so, are you just taking general courses, or going for a specific degree?
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
Just general courses.  My plan was to major in Philosophy.
Defiance
+438|6669

ZombieVampire! wrote:

No, they've been an gone now.  I've failed the courses.

But still, the big issue for me is that I'm not doing, rather than the results.  I seem to be constantly doing stuff that I don't really enjoy.  Just mindlessly doing things.  Even when I go places with people, and tell them I'm having, I'm not really.  I'm just..........I don't know.  Just doing things.
I don't really know what to say. It's like your out of focus in the biggest way possible. I think you ought to get checked out with a psychiatrist. I don't have much real experience in that field, but it may help you.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6128|North Tonawanda, NY

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Sometimes it can be hard to feel motivated.  I certainly know how that is, and my way of fixing it was making a set schedule.  I went to the library everyday at 8am and stayed until 4 or 5pm, leaving only for classes and doing work for the rest of the time.  Then I would go home and 'do' homework there, which was far less productive.  At the library, I didn't have people around bothering me and it was quiet-- so it was a lot easier to think and far less distracting.  Also, since I was going there to do work, my demeanor was less of the 'anything but this' and more of the 'I'm here to do work and nothing else'.

Is it that the thought behind the large assignments is fascinating and the actual work isn't so much?  If that's the case, you need to either force yourself to do the work or find something else to do (even if it's only for a short time).
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6516|USA
i hear you and not to feed the fire, but if it was my first year, i would drop out too.

but if you want any thoughtful answers, you might want to give a little more info...
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825

SenorToenails wrote:

Is it that the thought behind the large assignments is fascinating and the actual work isn't so much?  If that's the case, you need to either force yourself to do the work or find something else to do (even if it's only for a short time).
No, the work itself is fascinating.  The assignments are about thinking about the issue which is what I live for.  My biggest issue should be expressing what I want to express within the word count.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I already work.  But I don't see the point in taking time off because I don't know what I want to do.
It sounds counter-intuitive, but that's why you probably need to take some time out.

From the sound of it, you've lost sight of the wood for the trees.

There must something, some activity, that really means something to you (other than philosophy) - something that makes you feel happy to be alive - take some time out to do that and to remind yourself why you're doing what you're doing.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
Nothing.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6128|North Tonawanda, NY

ZombieVampire! wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

No, the work itself is fascinating.  The assignments are about thinking about the issue which is what I live for.  My biggest issue should be expressing what I want to express within the word count.
I only ask because I took classes where the thought was neat, but the homework was pure, unadulterated drudgery.  If you had that feeling in a lot of classes, then it could be you need to think of taking something else to rethinking college altogether for the time being.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Nothing.
Hmm... Might you be depressed?

If so, Defiance may be correct and you should seek help from a professional.

Here's an on-line test for depression - but note, it is only an on-line test...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-07-21 22:55:02)

ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
But I'm not sad.  Just not happy.

Does that make sense to you?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

ZombieVampire! wrote:

But I'm not sad.  Just not happy.

Does that make sense to you?
Oh yes. Unfortunately that makes all too much sense to me - if definitely sounds like depression - Here's an on-line test for depression - but note, it is only an on-line test...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard