I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6125|Scotland!
So I've been away on holiday for the past 2 weeks (it was shit) and my dog was supposed to go to my sister's house, except at the last minute she changed her mind and booked the dog into a kennel for 2 weeks.

She's normally a very excitable dog, and a giant bundle of energy who flies around mad if I leave her alone for 10 minutes so I knew leaving her alone in a kennel for 2 weeks was going to be hard for her, I asked my sister to check in on her and if she wasn't adjusting I'd come home, I was only a few hundred miles away anyways. but that's beside the point, she's ignorant and didn't check on it.

This was rosie before
http://www.esl.eu/de/bf2/usergallery/572969/

after 2 weeks my sister brought her home before I got there, and gave me a phone call telling me not to freak out but she's had some complications.

She locked the dog in a room for 4 hours before I got home and went to work which resulted in my dog losing 3 nails clawing at the door, which means she's now limping around feeling sorry for herself.

Anyways, there's a rash on her face that's caused her fur to fall out and she's scratched her nose until it's raw and a bit swollen

http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rosie1hg6.jpg

The man at the kennel told my sister it's a sign of stress, she's lost the fur and it's made her nose itchy hence the scratching. The rash isn't painful for her to the touch, does anyone have any ideas?

My plan is to wait 3 days and if she's not seeing definite signs of improvement I'm gonna take her to the vet, right now the only pain she's showing is with her 3 injured paws, which she's grumpily nursing, otherwise she's eating and sleeping and drinking fine.

In short; rash caused by stress or not? :S
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6398|Earth
I wouldn't wait to go to the vet, but then again I freak out easily when it comes to health. Btw, that is one beautiful dog. What kind is she?
Signature
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5783|Dublin, Ohio
kennels fuck up dogs tbh.
LiGaLiZe
k?
+82|6112|sweden
I say that kennel man is full of shit but i really hope she'll get better soon!
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6125|Scotland!
As far as I know she's an American Staffordshire Terrier, also got a little pit bull puppy. It's 12am here and she's comfortable at the moment so the vet can wait till the morning

Her face doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort since she's been home, only her paws, but she's lost nails due to her excitable nature before, and it's usually a day or two before she stops feeling the effects.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6438|EE Chat
Tell your sister that she will be receiving vet bills tbh.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6125|Scotland!
She's already offered to pay vet bills, she's a cat person and thinks all animals can cope with being suddenly left alone, she feels bad now, especially since I waited on her cat hand and foot for 3 weeks while she was off on holiday, I left my dog with her for 2 weeks and it's a shivering wreck.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6613|Mhz

I'd head to the vets sooner, going now can't do any harm, waiting might.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6482|Gogledd Cymru

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Look at the clock, also call outs at this time will be expensive.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6125|Scotland!

The Sheriff wrote:

Going to the vets at any time is expensive round here, I've had a word with my uncle who breeds dogs, he says if her face irritates her anymore or if I see her pawing at it, take her to the vets, otherwise leave her resting and wait for her paws to heal up and see if the face improves with them.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

Go to the vet and make your sister foot the bill. After all, it's her fault (or at least it seems that way).

I would never trust a kennel with my dog.
Surgeons

I'm Jamesey wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Going to the vets at any time is expensive round here, I've had a word with my uncle who breeds dogs, he says if her face irritates her anymore or if I see her pawing at it, take her to the vets, otherwise leave her resting and wait for her paws to heal up and see if the face improves with them.
Try putting one of those lampshades collars on it to stop it scratching it.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6703|Sweden

usmarine2 wrote:

Unless it´s Cesars Millans kennel

Apart from that sorry to hear about your dog hope she´s get better and as said get a vet when dogs go sick ( does´nt have to be psychological here ) you can see they look real bad.

Last edited by madmurre (2008-07-19 17:26:40)

Ryan
+1,230|6836|Alberta, Canada

My suggestion would to just nurse her back to health. Keep her calm, don't play around or get her too excited.
Dogs can heal themselves fairly well. Just give her some extra care, and I'm sure she'll be back to herself before you know it.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6125|Scotland!
Well it's been around 6 hours since she's came home, and she's cheered up a lot, still feeling sorry for herself but she seems to be on the mend.

The redness of her skin has died down and the scabs don't seem to be irritating her anymore so her face looks set to heal, I just hope the hair comes back

Another thought at the cause of the rash and hairloss is sunburn maybe? apparently the dogs were pretty much free to run around in the field behind the kennel a lot, maybe my dog's decided it'd be a good idea to spend 2 weeks lying down moping in direct sunlight.
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.
Leaving it 3 days seems a good idea before going vet.

Then again I'm pissed so...
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6456|Tyne & Wear, England
Time is the greatest healer.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
dtacs
say that 2 my face fucker not online
+126|5827|Australia
I have a dog and i have had the same problem with stress.

does she have a chew toy or something to play with? usually dogs get stressed and bite themselves while they are bored, my dogs paws are stained dark crimson due to her biting them so much out of boredom. there is nothing dogs love more than when something is happening, may it be moving furniture or opening a door.

dogs don't get sunburnt unless their skin is exposed to the sun, so if her skin was exposed before the rash started she must have scraped it or scratched it.

also, pat her and give her a ton of sympathy, dogs LOVE attention.

also if taking her to the vets, carry her if she is afraid, i assume she barks and puts her tail between her legs at the vet?

mtb0minime wrote:

Go to the vet and make your sister foot the bill. After all, it's her fault (or at least it seems that way).

You can trust kennels, just make sure its a VET run kennel, or the people are competent when caring for pets.

also, do you walk her once a day? or get a dog walker to do it?

Last edited by Acreta (2008-07-19 18:33:23)

https://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/kit-icon-recon.png?v=3173239
Home
Section.80
+447|6840|Seattle, Washington, USA

If it gets any worse at any point, take her to the vet. If it's only getting better, then there is no need.

usmarine2 wrote:

If you take them to crappy ones. Around here any of the kennels that are out in the country a ways and run by farmer/ranch type people are good. My dog has some minor anxiety/seperation problems and even she was fine at those ones.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6613|Mhz

The Sheriff wrote:

I wasn't talking about right this minute lol.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York

Acreta wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

You can trust kennels, just make sure its a VET run kennel, or the people are competent when caring for pets.
QFT. My uncle's a vet and owns two kennels/animal hospitals, and they're awesome.
Surgeons

The Sheriff wrote:

I wasn't talking about right this minute lol.
I thought when you said "going now" you mean't now.

CC-Marley
+407|6821

I'm Jamesey wrote:

As far as I know she's an American Staffordshire Terrier, also got a little pit bull puppy. It's 12am here and she's comfortable at the moment so the vet can wait till the morning

Her face doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort since she's been home, only her paws, but she's lost nails due to her excitable nature before, and it's usually a day or two before she stops feeling the effects.
American Staffordshire Terrier is one of the breeds that fall under the generic term "Pit Bull". As well as Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Pit Bull Terrier. Anyway stress can cause dogs many conditions. Hope she OK. Since your home now she'll be just fine I bet. Beautiful pup you have.

Last edited by CC-Marley (2008-07-20 09:04:28)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Lavish attention on her and I think she'll realise your back and hopefully for good. Then she'll probably be back to her old self with any luck. Take her to the vet just to have the paws checked out anyway, anti-biotics might be what she needs atm. Plus you can talk to the vet about what has happened.

But your sister should have known better.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Ryan
+1,230|6836|Alberta, Canada

My dog was freaking out last night, because she possibly heard thunder, even though it was just traffic. She started panting and clawing things and going berserk, so my mom had to put her in the kennel in the basement. My dog does this sort of thing probably 5 out of 7 nights a week.

Now she hates us

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard