Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6471|The Land of Scott Walker
The old models used chlorofluorocarbons, which have been banned as a threat to the Earth's ozone layer. They've been replaced by a propellant called HFC ... At $40 to $50 a piece, the new inhalers are also more expensive than the older generic models, which averaged $10 to $15 dollars.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio … id=6250831

Who wants to lay odds the new ones will cause unforeseen health problems ...
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5987|Washington DC
Sigh. How many CFCs could they possibly have? There are much bigger 'threats' to the environment to be concerned about than asthma propellants.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6680

Yet again, Congress trying too hard to help the environment and come up with these stupid rules that just fuck up society even more. Who's going to be able to afford these? Will insurance rates go up? Why the fuck are people concerned about the CFCs in a tiny-ass inhaler???
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6471|The Land of Scott Walker
Another way for someone to make big coin in the name of saving the earth while not making one bit of difference.  That's why they're concerned.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6431|North Carolina
Sometimes, I wonder if some of Congress does this with the intent of disillusioning people from environmentalism.  There couldn't have been any great need to target inhalers.

Last edited by Turquoise (2008-07-16 16:37:58)

CommieChipmunk
+488|6595|Portland, OR, USA
Fear mongering gone wild
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6710|United States of America

HurricaИe wrote:

Sigh. How many CFCs could they possibly have? There are much bigger 'threats' to the environment to be concerned about than asthma propellants.
While I'm still not sure about global warming alarmism and that jazz, chemistry class (yes I was paying attention) taught me that CFCs reeaaaallllly fuck up the ozone layer.

Wiki excerpt:
It turns out that one of CFCs' most attractive features—their unreactivity—has been instrumental in making them one of the most significant pollutants. CFCs' lack of reactivity gives them a lifespan which can exceed 100 years in some cases. This gives them time to diffuse into the upper stratosphere. Here, the sun's ultraviolet radiation is strong enough to break off the chlorine atom, which on its own is a highly reactive free radical. This catalyzes the break up of ozone into oxygen by means of a variety of mechanisms, of which the simplest is:

Cl + O3 → ClO + O2
ClO + O3 → Cl + 2 O2
Since the chlorine is regenerated at the end of these reactions, a single Cl atom can destroy many thousands of ozone molecules.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6666|Your moms bedroom

Stingray24 wrote:

The old models used chlorofluorocarbons, which have been banned as a threat to the Earth's ozone layer. They've been replaced by a propellant called HFC ... At $40 to $50 a piece, the new inhalers are also more expensive than the older generic models, which averaged $10 to $15 dollars.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio … id=6250831

Who wants to lay odds the new ones will cause unforeseen health problems ...
Who wants to bet that in any country other than America you can get them for pennies on the dollar
iD
Hates most server admins.
+7|6682
40$ to 50$? lol, those news are just stupid.

welcome to the news of a decade ago. here, those sprays got no CFC for 13! years now and cost like 10€

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard