Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
World Youth Day is in a couple o' days in Sydney.

With it comes a few hundred thousand pilgrims... and some of the most ridiculous laws I have ever seen in a democratic country.

Sydney Morning Herald (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/06/ … 46009.html) wrote:

Thou shalt not annoy on Youth Day
Jano Gibson, Linda Morris and Joel Gibson
July 1, 2008

EXTRAORDINARY new powers will allow police to arrest and fine people for "causing annoyance" to World Youth Day participants and permit partial strip searches at hundreds of Sydney sites, beginning today.

The laws, which operate until the end of July, have the potential to make a crime of wearing a T-shirt with a message on it, undertaking a Chaser-style stunt, handing out condoms at protests, riding a skateboard or even playing music, critics say.

Police and volunteers from the State Emergency Service and Rural Fire Service will be able to direct people to cease engaging in conduct that "causes annoyance or inconvenience to participants in a World Youth Day event".

People who fail to comply will be subject to a $5500 fine.

The president of the NSW Bar Association, Anna Katzmann, SC, described the regulations as "unnecessary and repugnant".

The Greens MP Lee Rhiannon said if someone exposed themselves in public, they faced a fine of only $1100 or six months' jail under the Summary Offences Act.

"So if someone flashes a WYD participant they will face a $1100 penalty but if they wear an anti-Catholic T-shirt they could face a $5500 penalty," she said.

A police source said causing an "annoyance or inconvenience" was a highly subjective offence. A police lawyer would define it in layman's terms for operational use by officers.

Civil libertarians said they had never seen anything like the new powers and believed they are more extreme and broader in scope than those used during last year's APEC summit and the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

But the State Government said "World Youth Day is a happy and positive celebration of youth" and "no additional or 'APEC-like' police powers have been granted under the World Youth Day regulations".

The Catholic Church denied it had called for such powers.

The regulations were quietly gazetted by the Deputy Premier, John Watkins, on Friday afternoon and apply to more than 40 city locations, including museums, galleries and cinemas, as well as Darling Harbour, the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, Randwick Racecourse and parklands.

More than 500 schools across Sydney and 35 train and bus stations have also been listed as "declared areas". People entering them will be subject to vehicle and baggage searches that require them to remove jackets, gloves, shoes and headwear if requested. "Reasonable force may be used to effect the person's exclusion" if they do not permit the search, the regulations stipulate.

The Government's World Youth Day spokeswoman, Kristina Keneally, said "bag checks are a sensible safety precaution which any young person who is going to a major event in Australia … would expect". Everyone had the right to protest so long as it was "peaceful and lawful".

The president of the NSW Council of Civil Liberties, Cameron Murphy, said the broad meaning of "causes annoyance" had the potential to encompass any activity. "This sort of amendment is extreme, unnecessary and is likely to escalate conflict when officers issue directions," he said. "People are going to be unaware that they have the power to do this and will find themselves in court facing an enormous fine."

Ms Katzmann said: "The mere presence in the vicinity of a person wearing the apparel or insignia of another religion might be annoying or inconvenient to a participant in a World Youth Day event."

Ms Rhiannon said the regulations were about "shutting down protests and quarantining the Pope and visiting Catholics away from messages World Youth Day authorities don't approve of".

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/06/ … 46009.html
Why on earth are Catholics getting such "special treatment". If I object to some of the Church's actions (i.e. it's stance on STDs) then I think I can wear a t-shirt saying that WITHOUT getting a 5000 dollar fine.

This is a insane measure. Imagine the uproar if, say, Muslims got similar special treatment.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA
You don't have to imagine, it happens.

I am against all special interest and special rights advocation......I have posted as much.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5824

lowing wrote:

Example?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

It's not much of a stretch from the laws brought in during APEC. Once the police found they could enact special powers for one off events (lasting up to a month) they decided to use them.

It is pushing the boundaries however in my opinion, I'm glad that we'll see protests because of it.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

ZombieVampire! wrote:

lowing wrote:

Example?
Sorry, you know as well as I, that special favor and special interest has been asked for and granted by Islamic groups. Do your own googling orsearth this forum. I am not going to get into it with you over the obvious.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5824
Translation: "I'm not actually aware of any examples so I'll pretend that you're being obtuse and it's obvious"
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

lowing wrote:

Example?
Sorry, you know as well as I, that special favor and special interest has been asked for and granted by Islamic groups. Do your own googling orsearth this forum. I am not going to get into it with you over the obvious.
Has that special favour ever gone to the restriction of others' democratic rights?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Spark wrote:

This is a insane measure. Imagine the uproar if, say, Muslims got similar special treatment.
What, nobody's pissed off about it?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Translation: "I'm not actually aware of any examples so I'll pretend that you're being obtuse and it's obvious"
Not hardly, the obvious just isn't worth digging up for the likes of you.

Last edited by lowing (2008-07-12 04:07:07)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Example?
Has that special favour ever gone to the restriction of others' democratic rights?
Doesn't have to, granting special hate law legislation for gays, does not take away any rights from the average citizen. For example
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Doesn't have to, granting special hate law legislation for gays, does not take away any rights from the average citizen. For example
But this is a curbing of the right to protest and to free speech, right?
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Spark wrote:

What, nobody's pissed off about it?
Lawyers, mostly.

But yes, there are a few people pissed off about it.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

absolutely it is.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5824

lowing wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Not hardly, the obvious just isn't worth digging up for the likes of you.
If it's so obvious then surely you could just give me an answer off the top of your head for me to research on my own.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
Wow...  I'm glad I don't live in Australia.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6661|NT, like Mick Dundee

Gg government. Way to take the fun and 'youth' part out of world youth day. Guess the catholics don't want rebels.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
13rin
+977|6475
Interesting.  Retarded, yet interesting.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6525|Global Command

Spark wrote:

Q:   Why on earth are Catholics getting such "special treatment".
Read this to understand.
Ratzinger
+43|6388|Wollongong, NSW, Australia

ATG wrote:

Spark wrote:

Q:   Why on earth are Catholics getting such "special treatment".
Read this to understand.
Masonry opens doors.

I have got a second-hand apron.

I nearly got in at Hendon.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6718|Sydney, Australia

Spark wrote:

Yeah, but in Australia we don't have one of those fancy Bill of Rights...

- -

I was considering creating a topic about this, but with a title that included "New South Wales: Police State". With these laws, and the APEC ones from last year... that's the way we are heading.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5824

mcminty wrote:

Spark wrote:

Yeah, but in Australia we don't have one of those fancy Bill of Rights...
We just doesn't mean we don't have rights: just that they aren't enshrined in law (which doesn't necessarily mean much anyway).

mcminty wrote:

I was considering creating a topic about this, but with a title that included "New South Wales: Police State". With these laws, and the APEC ones from last year... that's the way we are heading.
That's the way Australia is headed.  But it's not these laws.  It's the permanent ones which are slowly allowing people to do less things and giving police more power.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6764
check these out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_sedition_law

brought in under howard

This is my fave  "it is now specifically illegal to [urge] a person to assist the enemy: at war with the Commonwealth, whether or not the existence of a state of war has been declared"
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5824
I think the extension of detention without charge is best (it's almost a month now, isn't it?).
BVC
+325|6692
Three semi-naked women got arrested during a PETA protest outside a KFC.

Now this brings a moral dilemma - do I say "fuck PETA" or "hooray for boobies"?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire
This is what really annoys me...if these powers were being introduced for a Muslim festival it would make major headlines around the world as an unacceptable act of appeasement but because it's the Catholic church it makes regional and national headlines and not much more. This is worse than any of the so called acts of appeasement I've read about in relation to the Muslim community.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard