FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

This is a serious question. When I was running this morning, I was thinking about how so many here say Christianity is just as brutal as Islam. Now, of course, we all realize that both of those religions (and Judaism) have holy books that, if taken literally, advocate violence to varying degrees. That's not what I'm wondering about.

What I'm wondering about are sects of those religions that not only preach violence, but endorse it, demand it, inculcate it in their followers. I'm sure it's due to news coverage over the past ten years or so, but I can easily think of Muslim sects that do this...Wahhabism comes immediately to mind.

But--despite honest effort--I couldn't think of a Christian sect that does the same. Or a Jewish sect that does the same.

So that's the question:

What are the sects of the three major religions that preach violence against non-believers and encourage acting on that teaching?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
PureFodder
+225|6256
Many sects of christian fundamentalists enciurage a mass war between Israel and the middle east that they hope will snowball out of control and kill everyone on the panet.

Can't get much more violent than that.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5832

PureFodder wrote:

Many sects of christian fundamentalists enciurage a mass war between Israel and the middle east that they hope will snowball out of control and kill everyone on the panet.

Can't get much more violent than that.
what he said

Last edited by rammunition (2008-07-11 03:22:24)

De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6498|Belgium

Christianity did his violent part during the 11th, 12th and 13th century I guess with the big crusades. These days: what purefodder said.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

Fodder: Can you provide discrete examples, please?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Mavik
+22|5747|Germany
I don't know if there are particular "violent sects", but there are christians who would kill/have killed their children because of the way of life they chose. I think it was a year ago when a father stabbed his son to death to "protect him from falling away from god".
Then you have:
the assaults on abortion clinics,
the "god hates gay people" transparents and gay bashing,
the Adventists of the last days (or what they were called) that shun their children if they don't marry one of "their own people" which is at least pretty cruel.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5798

FEOS wrote:

This is a serious question. When I was running this morning, I was thinking about how so many here say Christianity is just as brutal as Islam. Now, of course, we all realize that both of those religions (and Judaism) have holy books that, if taken literally, advocate violence to varying degrees. That's not what I'm wondering about.

What I'm wondering about are sects of those religions that not only preach violence, but endorse it, demand it, inculcate it in their followers. I'm sure it's due to news coverage over the past ten years or so, but I can easily think of Muslim sects that do this...Wahhabism comes immediately to mind.

But--despite honest effort--I couldn't think of a Christian sect that does the same. Or a Jewish sect that does the same.

So that's the question:

What are the sects of the three major religions that preach violence against non-believers and encourage acting on that teaching?
I suspect you'd find plenty of Jewish soldiers belive they're doing God's work. Certainly, that was the case with the pre-Israel militias.  There are people who threaten abortion clinics.  Ultimately, there's little reason for Christian sects to get violent because few of the have Islamic militaries around.

Ultimately though, whether Islam is probably more violent now.  If you go back to the Middle Ages, however, it's the opposite (which is why we call it the Dark Ages and they call it the Golden Age).
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5798

FEOS wrote:

George Bush.  There are some great quotes in The God Delusion.  Not that I'm a Dawkins fan.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5832

FEOS wrote:

about Jews. the Jews are the ones claiming that "god" gave them Israel, Before Israel was established Jewish militia such as the stern gang etc went to what is know Israel and killed women, children, men etc, driving people out their homes , all because "god" chose them.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5762|Dublin, Ohio

rammunition wrote:

FEOS wrote:

about Jews. the Jews are the ones claiming that "god" gave them Israel, Before Israel was established Jewish militia such as the stern gang etc went to what is know Israel and killed women, children, men etc, driving people out their homes , all because "god" chose them.
racist.  all you do is talk bad about Jews.  racist.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6124|what

The Romans knew what to do with the Jewish people (or thought they did). Claiming that there is only one God and all the others are false idols was the one thing the Romans could not tolerate.

Nearly every other tribe, race or religion was assimilated somehow or another. Egyptian and Persian gods, but not the Jewish god.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England

TheAussieReaper wrote:

The Romans knew what to do with the Jewish people (or thought they did). Claiming that there is only one God and all the others are false idols was the one thing the Romans could not tolerate.

Nearly every other tribe, race or religion was assimilated somehow or another. Egyptian and Persian gods, but not the Jewish god.
Most of the Pre-Christian Native European Gods are similar anyway.

Basically, look at this Wiki category. All these gods are quite similar, because they all trace back to a common root.

The existence of similarities among the deities and religious practices of the Indo-European (IE) peoples allows glimpses of a common Proto-Indo-European (PIE) religion and mythology. This hypothetical religion would have been the ancestor of the majority of the pagan religions of Europe, and of the Indian religions as well as Zoroastrianism in Iran.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire
Christianity had a culture of violence and conquest from the top down back in the days of the crusades - and they very much relied on their 'holy book' as a validation of their beliefs, or at least the interpretations and teachings of their leaders. I guess one could compare extremist Islam as being their equivalent of that phase here in the present. Zionism would be the Wahabism of the Jewish faith, Zionists use their religion as an excuse to steal land and persecute indigenous populations.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina
Tbh, the whole Islam needs reformation, not just the sects.  Sharia law is old.  Christianity has done brutal things in the past, they had reformation, and while there are some nutters out there, it's a bit more moderate than Islam.  Nevertheless, when it comes to fundametalism, every Religion sucks.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
The US is a supposedly Christian country which is brutalising the whole middle east as part of the Christian extremists plan to support the jews and bring about armageddon or the rapture or whatever.

I guess you can't get much more extremist than a country mobilising its entire military, invading two other countries and threatening to vapourise a third basically to ensure some mumbo-jumbo prophecy is fulfilled.

There is no reason for Israel to be counted a US ally other than the Christian-Zionist crap.
I can't think of any other plausible reason. Don't believe me read Bush's speech to the Knesset.

9/11 Was perpetrated by Saudis. Why did Afghanistan and Iraq get attacked, and soon Iran?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-07-11 06:41:04)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13rin
+977|6450
Last year I made the mistake of posting a few answers to the same questions answered here.  I was immediatley flamed for bieng a bible-thumping-holier-than-thou-blowhard-wacko-christian.  I rarley at the time went to church.  Not due in any part to this forum, I have since stopped attending.  But I'm not touching this one.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Last year I made the mistake of posting a few answers to the same questions answered here.  I was immediatley flamed for bieng a bible-thumping-holier-than-thou-blowhard-wacko-christian.  I rarley at the time went to church.  Not due in any part to this forum, I have since stopped attending.  But I'm not touching this one.
Uh, using the words church and touching in the same sentence is a bit dangerous you know.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526

FEOS wrote:

So that's the question:

Christian: Maronite Christian Falangist Movement. Other than that Christianity has been relatively squeaky clean since the Inquisition, tacit endorsement of the Nazis, the Crusades, the purge of the Knights Templar and such. Although you could argue that Bush Jr. is bringing death and destruction to the world, as a self-proclaimed 'war president', having being directed by his fundamentalist Christian God (as he alluded to himself).

Judaism: Irgun, Lehi and Haganah (Zionist militias since transformed into the IDF - effectively fighting on religious grounds, establishing Eretz Israel as laid down in the bible). Kahanists.

FEOS - to claim elements of Jewish Zionist circles have not and are not forcibly and violently establishing a 'greater land of Israel' along biblical lines is simply disingenous.

Oh yes, and although bible belt evangelicals and the like have not engaged in any violence, they find no problem endorsing Israeli - effectively Zionist - efforts to establish a greater land of Israel as per the prophecies of the bible. They think in ludicrous fire-and-brimstone 'judgement day' type nonsense. Quite worrying.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-11 11:45:42)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Here, come sit next to me, I am in trouble all the time in here, I could use the company
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6154|Ireland
Islam is the religion of peace, I don't know what you are smoking?
IRONCHEF
+385|6462|Northern California
I'm convinced that Westborough Baptists are a violent "congregation" of the loosely described religion called Christianity.  I don't think they'd be considered a sext in itself since there's other Baptists.  Goes to show that it's not a "religion" that is preaching something, it's leaders of congregations and sects of religion that do it.  Should 7th Day Adventists be so judged for the preaching of the Branch Dividians (David Koresh)?
13rin
+977|6450

IRONCHEF wrote:

I'm convinced that Westborough Baptists are a violent "congregation" of the loosely described religion called Christianity.  I don't think they'd be considered a sext in itself since there's other Baptists.  Goes to show that it's not a "religion" that is preaching something, it's leaders of congregations and sects of religion that do it.  Should 7th Day Adventists be so judged for the preaching of the Branch Dividians (David Koresh)?
Where the hell you been?  Like it is really my business...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
IRONCHEF
+385|6462|Northern California
I'm here.  I just don't post that much because the quality of conversation sucks alot on this board.  I visit it during slow times on 2A forums I visit..this is my "B" forum.

Woah!  I just discovered a Freudian slip there... "sext"
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5832

usmarine2 wrote:

rammunition wrote:

FEOS wrote:

racist.  all you do is talk bad about Jews.  racist.
all i did was mention History and now im "racist", i would like to see how you react when you enter the real world
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6314|tropical regions of london
all you do is talk about jews

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard