Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida

Stingray24 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

Fox is more fair and balanced than the other news stations

is that good enough?
Oh is it? Okay, glad you cleared that up for us all.
They have more opposing views shows than the others.  You guys make me laugh.  Eviscerate FOX News as biased but give CNN, MSNBC, etc a pass.  Hmmmm maybe you just agree with the bias of the other stations.
CNN is crap.

MSNBC doesnt pretend to be fair and balanced. 

Fox News does.

The statement "They have more opposing views" can't be proven or denied. 

The news isn't all about biases.. its about quality of reporting too.  These debates over which network is least biased are retarded.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Do you guys know the history behind fair and balanced? Fox was never trying to say that they by themselves were fair and balanced. Their programming was created to supposedly balance the already existing left wing bias in cable news.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467
They all suck tbh.

It's not the bias I'm annoyed with though. I can detect it easily and since all media outlets have some bias one way or another there really isn't anything you can say about it.

However I don't like how Fox (and most other major news stations) degrade the news so much. The nightly news on teh Televisions used to be almost as high quality and well researched as the news papers. Now News on the Televisions is little more than a rabid quest for ratings with the reporters going after whatever story the public is most interested in, even if it has little relevance.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6671|Colorado
unbalanced & bias.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6767
Took this off another site I am a member of

Sensationalism, fundamentalism, voyeurism, and lets not forget cronyism.

They dont have time because they dont want to take time and have the chance that they will not have breaking news.

They dont take time because its easier to push poop to us and tell us its news.

They don't take time because people dont actually want to think, they would much prefer to be told what they should be thinking.

Oh and heaven forbid actually putting something on air that may offend a sponsor or political party. That could loose revenue.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

I need to start eating a balanced breakfast.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6342|tropical regions of london
what do you have in mind?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command

God Save the Queen wrote:

what do you have in mind?
Something with the nutritional value equating the monetary solvency of our nation;
https://www.lostwackys.com/images/original-series/1st/breadcrust-hash.jpg
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5993|Truthistan
Fox "News"?

With the excitable tones of the newscasters and all the flashing lights it has more in common with wrestling than news. Just as we all know wrestling is entertainment and not sports, Fox news is more entertainment than news. Fox news and wrestling probably have a lot of overlap in their viewership too.

Fox news probably plays well with the Attention Deficit Disorder crowd.

Last edited by Diesel_dyk (2008-07-08 22:03:31)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

BN wrote:

Is this why they keep calling Obama, Osama?
Who?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

Stingray24 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

Fox is more fair and balanced than the other news stations

is that good enough?
Oh is it? Okay, glad you cleared that up for us all.
They have more opposing views shows than the others.  You guys make me laugh.  Eviscerate FOX News as biased but give CNN, MSNBC, etc a pass.  Hmmmm maybe you just agree with the bias of the other stations.
Typical FOX News fan boy attitude. I don't watch CNN or MSNBC but from what I've heard they are just as bad as the likes of FOX. I watch EuroNews, RTÉ news, Channel4 News, BBC News and a variety of both left and right wing Internet sources thank you very much...and if I think a news item is a little suspect I often check on here to see what kind of defences are being used back and fourth by either side over it.

FOX has little or no opposing viewpoints on any news piece they run. They usually get some retard to come on and argue against 2 or 3 'hotshots' and pass it off as a fair and balanced debate. They also have an irresponsible mix of news and entertainment-style, opinionated chat, which for the less discerning viewer just meshes in with the rest of the actual news to give a skewed and opinionated view of what the actual news might be.

FOX News are rubbish...and just because CNN or MSNBC or whoever else are rubbish too it doesn't change that fact.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

FEOS wrote:

BN wrote:

Is this why they keep calling Obama, Osama?
Who?
They only called him Osama once, I think. Now they just keep getting people on who insist on saying his middle name 'Hussein' at every possible opportunity.
topthrill05
+125|6577|Rochester NY USA
At my job Cops come in all the time to eat and over the years I have become good friends with many of them. Once in awhile we would shoot the shit about politics, most of them support McCain and can defend their stance.

But one day I asked one of the cops what he felt was wrong with Obama, he replied "He is a Muslim and all of this is an act until he gets into office then he will push the Muslim agenda. I stood in disbelief and just laughed really. But he was dead serious and his buddy next to him agreed with him.

Now this cop is one of the nicest guys you could meet and seems like he has a brain yet that comes out of his mouth. I always turn the news to the bias I prefer such as CNN or MSNBC, yet every damn time he walks in he turns it to Fox news and then I realized the amount of influence that station has. Sad because I can pick up the bull shit on any station in a heartbeat yet this man simply couldn't.

On a more disturbing note I live in one of the best educated states in the US, if the shit is taking hold on people up here I can only imagine what is said in parts of the south. To make it clear I am talking about the lack of rational reasoning he had for not supporting Obama not the fact that he doesnt support him.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

topthrill05 wrote:

At my job Cops come in all the time to eat and over the years I have become good friends with many of them. Once in awhile we would shoot the shit about politics, most of them support McCain and can defend their stance.

But one day I asked one of the cops what he felt was wrong with Obama, he replied "He is a Muslim and all of this is an act until he gets into office then he will push the Muslim agenda. I stood in disbelief and just laughed really. But he was dead serious and his buddy next to him agreed with him.

Now this cop is one of the nicest guys you could meet and seems like he has a brain yet that comes out of his mouth. I always turn the news to the bias I prefer such as CNN or MSNBC, yet every damn time he walks in he turns it to Fox news and then I realized the amount of influence that station has. Sad because I can pick up the bull shit on any station in a heartbeat yet this man simply couldn't.

On a more disturbing note I live in one of the best educated states in the US, if the shit is taking hold on people up here I can only imagine what is said in parts of the south. To make it clear I am talking about the lack of rational reasoning he had for not supporting Obama not the fact that he doesnt support him.
That is unbelievable. I worry for your local police service.
ATG
Banned

Braddock wrote:

Typical FOX News fan boy attitude. I don't watch CNN or MSNBC but from what I've heard they are just as bad as the likes of FOX.
This seems a typical Fox News bashboy rant; "  I don't watch CNN or MSNBC but from what I've heard..."   bah, you guys keep showing  that in reality the facts do not matter. You haven't compared Fox to the Liberal Drivel shows but you're sure Fox is bad because your brother says so.

Braddock wrote:

I watch EuroNews, RTÉ news, Channel4 News, BBC News and a variety of both left and right wing Internet sources thank you very much...and if I think a news item is a little suspect I often check on here to see what kind of defences are being used back and fourth by either side over it.
Fox News bashboys assume  that people who watch Fox News are ' mind numbed robots ' incapable of viewing their own variety of programming. Frankly, this is a demonstration of the elitism and snobbery that makes liberals so annoying. Thank you very much.

Braddock wrote:

FOX has little or no opposing viewpoints on any news piece they run. They usually get some retard to come on and argue against 2 or 3 'hotshots' and pass it off as a fair and balanced debate.
The debate or political commentary programs are not meant to be viewed as news. They are debate or political commentary programs. Liberals can't compete in a honest debate so they try to crush opposing views with free speech crushing legislation like The Fairness Doctrine. Why should laws be passed to provide liberals with equal time?

If the lefts ideas were so enlightened and appealing a thing such a The Fairness Doctrine would not exist.

Braddock wrote:

They also have an irresponsible mix of news and entertainment-style, opinionated chat, which for the less discerning viewer just meshes in with the rest of the actual news to give a skewed and opinionated view of what the actual news might be.

FOX News are rubbish...and just because CNN or MSNBC or whoever else are rubbish too it doesn't change that fact.
I'm glad it is not your job to decide what is irresponsible or acceptable news. A fellow who cannot differentiate between political commentary and a news program should stick  to things like making Struisin Gaelach.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

ATG wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Typical FOX News fan boy attitude. I don't watch CNN or MSNBC but from what I've heard they are just as bad as the likes of FOX.
This seems a typical Fox News bashboy rant; "  I don't watch CNN or MSNBC but from what I've heard..."   bah, you guys keep showing  that in reality the facts do not matter. You haven't compared Fox to the Liberal Drivel shows but you're sure Fox is bad because your brother says so.

Braddock wrote:

I watch EuroNews, RTÉ news, Channel4 News, BBC News and a variety of both left and right wing Internet sources thank you very much...and if I think a news item is a little suspect I often check on here to see what kind of defences are being used back and fourth by either side over it.
Fox News bashboys assume  that people who watch Fox News are ' mind numbed robots ' incapable of viewing their own variety of programming. Frankly, this is a demonstration of the elitism and snobbery that makes liberals so annoying. Thank you very much.

Braddock wrote:

FOX has little or no opposing viewpoints on any news piece they run. They usually get some retard to come on and argue against 2 or 3 'hotshots' and pass it off as a fair and balanced debate.
The debate or political commentary programs are not meant to be viewed as news. They are debate or political commentary programs. Liberals can't compete in a honest debate so they try to crush opposing views with free speech crushing legislation like The Fairness Doctrine. Why should laws be passed to provide liberals with equal time?

If the lefts ideas were so enlightened and appealing a thing such a The Fairness Doctrine would not exist.

Braddock wrote:

They also have an irresponsible mix of news and entertainment-style, opinionated chat, which for the less discerning viewer just meshes in with the rest of the actual news to give a skewed and opinionated view of what the actual news might be.

I'm glad it is not your job to decide what is irresponsible or acceptable news. A fellow who cannot differentiate between political commentary and a news program should stick  to things like making Struisin Gaelach.
If you're so discerning in terms of the media ATG why do you feel the need to defend a trashy media outlet like FOX? It sounds like you know it's rubbish and yet you continue to defend it. The state of modern American media is woeful...on all fronts, left and right of the spectrum.

You just make yourself sound silly when you try to claim a station like FOX actually is "distinctly fair and balanced"...especially when your primary back up for the argument is that they showed more favour towards one Democrat candidate over another (a classic example of a lack of fairness and balance).
ATG
Banned

Braddock wrote:

ATG wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Braddock wrote:

If you're so discerning in terms of the media ATG why do you feel the need to defend a trashy media outlet like FOX? It sounds like you know it's rubbish and yet you continue to defend it. The state of modern American media is woeful...on all fronts, left and right of the spectrum.

You just make yourself sound silly when you try to claim a station like FOX actually is "distinctly fair and balanced"...especially when your primary back up for the argument is that they showed more favour towards one Democrat candidate over another (a classic example of a lack of fairness and balance).
Please cite a specific example of what here is trashy, or blatantly biased;

http://www.foxnews.com/
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

ATG wrote:

FOX News makes a point of having little or no semiotic difference between the actual news articles and the opinionated stuff. It is completely obvious in the TV reporting and is even apparent on the website where there is little or no difference in terms of design, look or feel between news and opinion; also they are all bundled together in the main navigation bar at the top further reinforcing the illusion of parity in terms of veracity. This all builds towards the idea that news=opinion=news=opinion=news.

Anyone who believes this is just a coincidence and not done deliberately does not understand the way design and semiotics work. Everything is done for a specific reason...particularly so when a lot of money is involved, as would be the case with a major news network.

But to entertain your request here are a few specific examples:

Killer Bees A scaremongering story the public are continually fed, let's not even get into the semiotics of them being continually referred to as 'Africanised'.

Laser Pens Pure bollocks.

Obama/Osam? Is this a news story is it? Honestly?

Constant Coverage Of 'The Muslim Issue' regarding Barrack And they never seem to miss a chance to mention his middle name: "The Illinois Democrat — whose middle name is "Hussein" — was born in Hawaii and moved to Indonesia at age 6 to live with his mother and stepfather, who was Muslim. He left Indonesia when he was 10 and returned to Hawaii to live with his mother's parents."

I'm sure you could find similar examples of liberal media bias and if it makes you feel better go ahead and post them but don't try and convince me that FOX is worth paying any attention to unless you're talking about weather or possibly sport.

Last edited by Braddock (2008-07-09 07:03:04)

ATG
Banned

Braddock wrote:

ATG wrote:

FOX News makes a point of having little or no semiotic difference between the actual news articles and the opinionated stuff. It is completely obvious in the TV reporting and is even apparent on the website where there is little or no difference in terms of design, look or feel between news and opinion; also they are all bundled together in the main navigation bar at the top further reinforcing the illusion of parity in terms of veracity. This all builds towards the idea that news=opinion=news=opinion=news.

Anyone who believes this is just a coincidence and not done deliberately does not understand the way design and semiotics work. Everything is done for a specific reason...particularly so when a lot of money is involved, as would be the case with a major news network.

But to entertain your request here are a few specific examples:

Killer Bees A scaremongering story the public are continually fed, let's not even get into the semiotics of them being continually referred to as 'Africanised'.

Laser Pens Pure bollocks.

Obama/Osam? Is this a news story is it? Honestly?

Constant Coverage Of 'The Muslim Issue' regarding Barrack And they never seem to miss a chance to mention his middle name: "The Illinois Democrat — whose middle name is "Hussein" — was born in Hawaii and moved to Indonesia at age 6 to live with his mother and stepfather, who was Muslim. He left Indonesia when he was 10 and returned to Hawaii to live with his mother's parents."

I'm sure you could find similar examples of liberal media bias and if it makes you feel better go ahead and post them but don't try and convince me that FOX is worth paying any attention to unless you're talking about weather or possibly sport.
While I salute your efforts I cannot help but scoff at your assertion that Fox is drivel.

You are not in America, Sir. You do not hear the news here, which is 85% left leaning.

So, from this side of the fence Fox is a breath of fresh air. I can tell slant from news so I have apathy regarding Fox.
Schittloaf
not fulla schit
+23|5902|MN
I only watch FOX NEWS CHANNEL!!!!
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5826

Schittloaf wrote:

Do you really need any more proof that you're wrong, ATG?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

Schittloaf wrote:

And with that Fox's reputation takes another blow.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

If this is the beebs idea of fair and balanced: My local cable.

https://i33.tinypic.com/9rub0p.jpg/
I'm all for it.
(yes I know it's not news)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
462nd NSP653
Devout Moderate, Empty Head.
+57|6683

Braddock wrote:

ATG wrote:

Mr. Wolfson’s decision to join Fox represents a general feeling among Clinton partisans that the network treated her more fairly than did other networks it viewed as overly friendly to Mr. Obama.
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/07/wolfson/

Now, for all those who instantly dismiss any and all news stories from Fox; shut yer yap.
What???

This one incident cleanses FOX of all their previous journalistic sins? I think not. The day I can turn on FOX and not have to see stories about laser pens being used for terror attacks on planes, or the impending Africanised bees apocalypse , or random, completely non-newsworthy stories about people putting up signs that link Osama Bin Laden to Barrack Obama then I can take them a little more seriously.
Dude...I'm not defending Fox as I find they are very much a conservative aligned news station but get a grip...your comments are as sensationalized and false as you accuse them of being. Giving the hyperlink your own 'fair & balanced" <alt>slant</alt> is a bit hypocritical.

1.) The laser story as I recall was a re-post of a story investigated and ran by an Australian news agency.
2.) No where in the Killer Bee story by the Associated Press (not Fox) did it allude to an apocalypse.  Also, being an AP story, many other wire services/news stations carried it.  Damn NeoCon MSNBC -> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20735111/
3.) Albeit, a ridiculous attempt a character assassination by a misguided pastor, again...an AP story carried by others as well. Damn NeoCon NBC affiliates -> http://www.nbcaugusta.com/news/local/18009149.html

Don't blame Fox for AP stories, nor their running them.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5826

462nd NSP653 wrote:

1.) The laser story as I recall was a re-post of a story investigated and ran by an Australian news agency.
I'm pretty sure you're right, but that's irrelevant.  Fox are responsible for their news stories: if they're sourcing them, they should go for a reliable source.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard