PhaxeNor
:D
+119|6417|Norway | Unkown
Europeans suspected of putting movies and music on file-sharing networks could be thrown off the web under proposals before Brussels.

The powers are in a raft of laws that aim to harmonise the regulations governing Europe's telecom markets.

Other amendments added to the packet of laws allow governments to decide which software can be used on the web.

Campaigners say the laws trample on personal privacy and turn net suppliers into copyright enforcers.

Benjamin Henrion, FFII wrote:

Tomorrow, popular software applications like Skype or even Firefox might be declared illegal in Europe if they are not certified by an administrative authority
BBC

So.. Whats best, being thrown off the web because I use firefox or because I share stuff?

Last edited by PhaxeNor (2008-07-08 04:57:13)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

I <3 switzerland. It's not illegal to download copyrighted stuff here
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6628|UK
What do Firefox and Skype have to do with file sharing?
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6551|CH/BR - in UK

max wrote:

Last time I checked (and my uncle works for SUISA, the music copyright company of Switzerland) you were allowed to download FRACTIONS of files, but not the entire thing. Which means it's legal to torrent and download stuff off rapidshare over multiple files. It IS illegal, it's just it's easier to get around the system.

-kon
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6592|Reisterstown, MD

Damn, that sucks.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Can't see how firefox can be considered illegal. If anything it might make it more popular. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6721|Scotland

liquidat0r wrote:

Exactly, this whole file sharing thing has been blown way out of proportion. Soon, we'll all be back in school behind a nice firewall which blocks everything except BBC and the likes.....

*shudder*

Last edited by Airwolf (2008-07-08 05:41:40)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Can't see how firefox can be considered illegal. If anything it might make it more popular. lol
I am guessing because it's open source and there are add-ons which allow file sharing and the sort.

I don't see how Skype can become illegal, though.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6273

liquidat0r wrote:

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

Zimmer wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I am guessing because it's open source and there are add-ons which allow file sharing and the sort.

I don't see how Skype can become illegal, though.
You can send files through it. You know, they've gotta eliminate every last thing that has to do with other file transfer than .htm and .php.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
Bernadictus
+1,055|6738

The EU should f*ck off. They are a bunch of corrupt politicians who only strife to acquire more wealth. They completely ignore Europa's citizens.
They'll have to force delete Skype and Firefox from my dead frozen HD.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6752|Chicago.
Clearly, Microsoft is pushing the EU arround.

USE IE7. SAVE YOUR CHILDREN.

Someone with some logic has to be on that authority to see that this is stupid.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51

Bernadictus wrote:

The EU should f*ck off. They are a bunch of corrupt politicians who only strife to acquire more wealth. They completely ignore Europa's citizens.
They'll have to force delete Skype and Firefox from my dead frozen HD.
^^^ What he said
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

BigmacK wrote:

Clearly, Microsoft is pushing the EU arround.

USE IE7. SAVE YOUR CHILDREN.

Someone with some logic has to be on that authority to see that this is stupid.
Clearly not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5153570.stm

Microsoft is the EU's bitch, the EU can do whatever they want because Microsoft has hundreds of millions of customers here.

EU law is really starting to piss me off.
Benzin
+576|6000
As long as Austria doesn't give a damn, I'm cool with it.

But this isn't that huge of a deal. The only thing I would throw out of it is the amendment that could allow to governments regulating what software people use on the Web. THAT is the problem. Making laws to penalize people for breaking already existing laws? Not such a big deal.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2008-07-08 06:54:30)

jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

moot point. Its very hard to actually enforce.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6836|Kubra, Damn it!

liquidat0r wrote:

Nothing. The real point of the story, for those who got sidetracked by filesharing, is that they want to regulate what legal software you can use on your machine. They just picked those to sensationalize the story because they're popular and people get so passionate about Firefox.

PhaxeNor wrote:

Other amendments added to the packet of laws allow governments to decide which software can be used on the web.

Last edited by chittydog (2008-07-08 07:12:11)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
Wow, that's fucking ridiculous.  I suppose rebellion is out of the question?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Hackers and crackers are always one step ahead of the law. Might as well start learning now!
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6127|So Cal
Where is that Vendetta freak when you need him?
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6192|Roma

GraphicArtist J wrote:

Where is that Vendetta freak when you need him?
Hope you don't mean me
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

max wrote:

I wish America was like Switzerland
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6127|So Cal

GodFather wrote:

I wish America was like Switzerland
...I wish American Cheese tasted like Swiss Cheese.
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5975|England

https://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n223/Samtheman53/1211139829169.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard