SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
I didn't think of that. I did end up buying John Wick 3 and watched it last night with my girlfriend. I decided to work my way backwards instead of starting at 1.

I really don't like Kung Fu movies or ones where the main character kills hundreds of henchmen. It is very weird how the deaths of hundreds of people are somehow part of John Wick's personal growth.

https://cf.ltkcdn.net/dying/images/orig/262860-2000x1333-funeral.jpg
We gather here today to lay Jim to rest. Beloved father, husband, son, and brother. John Wick sawed him in half as part of his journey to find inner peace following the death of his dog.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

If low level minions didn't want to be slaughtered, they could form a union and just refuse to work in the presence of a main character.

Smashing through lobby window, rolling into a cool fighting pose, "where's your boss, scum?"

At the front desk with legs kicked up, not even looking up from a magazine, "third floor, first corridor to the left."
John Wick would probably honor that (you can't take the Keanu out of the Reeves), unless you were one of the idiots who butchered the notorious killer's dog. Side note, death battles on youtube finally put him down with James Bond.

The 22yo girlfriend you literally are just going on a date with, or one of your other current girlfriends? Follow through with your plans to start a reaction channel and show her all the horrible millennial movies she missed out on.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I really don't like Kung Fu movies or ones where the main character kills hundreds of henchmen.
Thats literally all of all the John Wick films.

I watched 1-3 when there was nothing else.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Smile - 7/10

I don't really like horror but this was pretty good.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
I would have been happy to see either Barbie or Oppenheimer but the Twitter overflow about the movies exhausted me already.

The Napoleon trailer looks bleak also.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I shall be seeing both
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Barbie - 8/10

It was fun, I docked 2 points for the whole patriarchy thing, without that it could have been a good film.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

The Barbie/Oppenheimer bit is giving me Doom/Animal Crossing vibes.

Barbie has been some internet gold of 50yo men weighing in. I don't even know what to predict anymore, in terms of old men bringing it up out of nowhere. Sometimes the feedback is unexpectedly positive. Either way, the window of opportunity to act surprised and scandalised for whatever reason has long since shut.

I will still make fun of dilbert for enjoying cats '19.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Cats 2019 is a good film, I can loan you the DVD when I get it back from uziq

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2023-07-25 03:22:51)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

I tried to watch Barbie last night and fell asleep in the theater, then walked out. Not a good movie
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

I tried to watch Barbie last night and fell asleep in the theater, then walked out. Not a good movie
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cats 2019 is a good film, I can loan you the DVD when I get it back from uziq
I have no particular desire to unlock the secrets of the butthole cut of Cats.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

From what I've heard it's somewhere between 'Barbie's Unicorn Dreamhouse: Fantasy Royal Wedding Planners' (the one Rush Limbaugh gave a scathing 2/10 for belittling smokers) and 'French Revolution Barbie: Escape to American Plantation' so probably a solid 7/10.

Personally, I'm looking forward to 'Infinity War: Barbie vs. Elon: The Emerald Escapade' in which Zuck is rumored to cameo as the T-1000.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Its OK Ken, lots of men didn't get it, you're not alone, don't feel bad
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente … 81951.html
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

that piers morgan guy sounds like a bit of a tool. can't make a "male version" of barbie? wouldn't that just be gi joe, a movie that was made to plug another iconic child's toy? one generally marketed towards boys?

"we're not allowed to stereotype and belittle women," grouse men about an industry with thousands of offerings that stereotype and belittle women. sad! "waah, girlboss, they make the man look dumb!" like, get a grip, srsly. i can't believe these chowderheads listen to themselves and are like "yep, this is ready to go out to the masses."

the *cough* matriarchy doesn't need to lift a finger to make these twits look dumb.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Its OK Ken, lots of men didn't get it, you're not alone, don't feel bad
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente … 81951.html
I had no problem with the message, but it was less nuanced than Don't Look Up in that regard. I thought it was a poorly done movie all around.

Late stage capitalism is a poorly done movie about a toy/brand, with a feminist message half-nodding to the history of said toy promoting unrealistic body images to little girls.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Barbie comes in a bunch of shapes and sizes now. There was a Time article on the whole thing. She's also a cartoon character. Cartoons don't always represent realistic proportions. Meanwhile, little kids on their tablets consuming a whole universe of unrealistic body images in the media. We live in the 2020s.

Making an effort to stay trim is probably healthier than using a morbidly obese character as your childhood role model.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

I am Kenough wrote:

I had no problem with the message, but it was less nuanced than Don't Look Up in that regard. I thought it was a poorly done movie all around.
I'm not sure what you would have expected from a film about a plastic doll.

It got better, and funnier, from about 1/3 in.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Making an effort to stay trim is probably healthier than using a morbidly obese character as your childhood role model.
Its actually a problem now, no-one sees themselves as fat, they see themselves as normal to below average weight when everyone around them is obese and they're fat.
Another reason we are doomed.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Oppenheimer 8/10

I would have given it a 9 but Nolan's jumpy editing is just too tedious to deal with. Its tiring to deal with trying to work out where in the narrative a scene is set, not helped by older scenes being in colour and some more recent scenes being in black and white for no discernible reason.
If I hadn't been fairly familiar with the story, and the technology - I think book #34 was about the Manhattan project - it would have been fairly incomprehensible.
Otherwise well acted, filmed etc. but over long.
My sister didn't get it, not helped by expecting that a film titled 'Oppenheimer' would have been more about the Manhattan project and less about Oppenheimer
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

that piers morgan guy sounds like a bit of a tool. can't make a "male version" of barbie? wouldn't that just be gi joe, a movie that was made to plug another iconic child's toy? one generally marketed towards boys?

"we're not allowed to stereotype and belittle women," grouse men about an industry with thousands of offerings that stereotype and belittle women. sad! "waah, girlboss, they make the man look dumb!" like, get a grip, srsly. i can't believe these chowderheads listen to themselves and are like "yep, this is ready to go out to the masses."

the *cough* matriarchy doesn't need to lift a finger to make these twits look dumb.
Piers Morgan is a true american patriot and white knight defender of the patriarchy.

I mean, he's literally Sir Galahad.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

It's too bad he'll never have the opportunity to sit in a room with Sean Connery, John Wayne, and Joe Pesci so they can all reminisce about the good old days when you could just slap the sense into a *checks notes* woman obviously in the throes of hysterics.

I honestly don't understand it from that crowd sometimes. On one hand telling boys to be respectful gentlemen (lol), be nice to girls and treat them gently. On the other, "sometimes you've just got to slap a bitch." Whaaaa.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-07-29 12:56:07)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
I saw Oppenheimer.  8/10

Great movie. Has anyone seen it? Not worthy of its own Fandom subreddit though.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
I seent it in IMAX since I'd never done that before. Didn't know a whole lot about the man himself going into it, so a lot was new. Didn't realize how many actors I knew were cast in it either. They need an accompanying documentary for the full educational experience.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

dilbert mentioned above.

I'll probably see it, but on video. Movies about that era are like an overstuffed steam library.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard