uziq
+492|3450
already saw it, gave it a rating earlier in this thread.

murakami is a hapless writer, it's french existentialism watered down and rebranded for tumblr teens and hot topic shoppers. his characters are Bad and his writing is in fact Bad. the movie suffers because of its murakami tics. weird kinky married relationships, etc. just so cringe.

just admit you enjoyed an art movie. it doesn't need a connection to some horrendous tween angst author to be 'watchable'.
uziq
+492|3450
re: 'drive my car', by far the best thing about it is the soundtrack.

eiko ishibashi is a respected avant-garde composer/multi-instrumentalist in japan. she's been active in experimental music circles for ages.

it's marvellous.

whole thing can be found here:
https://eikoishibashi.bandcamp.com/trac … s-saab-900

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-07 03:58:40)

uziq
+492|3450
moving on - 7/10.

very accomplished début from a korean director who is so young that it's almost sickening. very precocious and promising.

takes a lot from kore-eda's movies, i think.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Lapsis - Erm/10

It was pretty transparent what it was trying to say, but certainly a strange watch, I sort of enjoyed it.
I'll have to think about some of the finer detail.

You can read uziq's hot take having not seen it here

I
V
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
i haven’t even heard of lapsis. i still haven’t seen dune, even. sci-fi is not really my go-to genre.

would you say lapsis is sci-fi, or is it future-adventure-speculative-fantasy-with-a-technological-twist?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Surely you can categorise it without seeing it.

Its not really sci-fi.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Nobody here is ever going to congratulate you for having watched (let alone enjoyed) Cats '19, except maybe Mac because he's a nice guy like that and wants to make people feel good about themselves when he's not cucking scary soldiers, dominating underlings at work, or dognapping raw materials for his puppy coat.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm not the one here who craves fawning adoration.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

You always try and act aloof about it but it always seems to be barely hiding in between the lines of posts like "let's see what x has to say about this movie without even watching it." Still angry after all this time that people could have several perfectly valid reasons to avoid your trippy, uncanny, cockroach-laden musical. You've asked why (that we won't), and it's been laid out ad nauseam. Simply "not liking musicals" should be a good enough reason for that sort of thing. Similarly, "not liking comic book movies" for avoiding the Marvel stuff. Imagine getting moved to tears by a comic book woman floating in space to the usual orchestral manipulations, but thinking drama has no redeeming value. Even uninterested in why a scene that has an effect on you, has an effect on you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Cats isn't the only film uziq has critiqued without watching.
uziq
+492|3450
really? i’ve been pretty open about my antipathies about certain genres or styles of movie.

i’ve read 100x more books than you and undoubtedly watched a much broader range of films, seen more plays, etc. i know my tastes. i think i’m a pretty good arbiter of quality.

to say i ‘dismiss things without having seen them’ and ‘parrot other’s opinions’ is just funny. i’m not going to apologise for thinking musicals are the worst of about 3 different worlds.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

really? i’ve been pretty open about my antipathies about certain genres or styles of movie.
Which is a bit narrow-minded don't you think?

I think I'm just going to accept you're blinkered about some things and leave it there.
uziq
+492|3450
how is it blinkered to admit that i don't like certain things? i've read and watched much more widely than you. how are you accusing me of being blinkered? i bet i have spent hundreds of hours watching and sifting through things before deciding that, on balance, it's not for me. can you say the same about art-house movies or those dreaded 'dramas' you hate so much? have you actually spent more than a couple hours of your life trying these things?

accusing me of being blinkered, with my range of interests and tastes, is just fucking hilarious. you're a manchild who still subsists on a diet of comic movies and tween popstars.

i can freely admit that i don't like musicals with the self-awareness that this is largely my own preference. that can be put aside in any aesthetic judgment: it's literally a case of 'de gustibus non est disputandum'. but that's not what 'critics' do, is it? they don't just emotively react to things based on their own personal preference. 'criticism' is not merely or only 'opinion'. the people criticising Cats could very well do so on 'objective' grounds, that is, on the basis of its writing/script, its acting, its execution, etc.

how do you not understand that someone can freely admit to not being disposed towards something, and then also admit that something is quite good (despite their initial misgivings) or in fact very bad (unrelated to their prejudices)?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

but that's not what 'critics' do, is it? they don't just emotively react to things based on their own personal preference.
A lot of them do, including you, you and they are very happy to jump on bandwagons based on no information at all.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

*COUGH* your vaccine misinformation *COUGH*
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

but that's not what 'critics' do, is it? they don't just emotively react to things based on their own personal preference.
A lot of them do, including you, you and they are very happy to jump on bandwagons based on no information at all.
do you read a lot of criticism dilbert? i read an awful lot of criticism, and i don't recognise what you're describing at all. most critics are motivated by a love and passion for their form/medium, are extremely well versed in its techniques, intimate with its workings, etc. almost all good critics will be able to evaluate a work of art on quasi-'objective' grounds upon which its possible to turn an argument or form a critique, precisely so that other people can engage with it. 'muh feelings' seldom come into it.

'bandwagons' lol. are you still talking about cats? i honestly can't think of any other 'bandwagon' behaviour. but, yes, the blind bandwagon over one of the most universally poorly rated movies in recent history. nobody was thinking independently, that's all!!!

are not comic movie fans precisely guilty of 'bandwagon' behaviour when they crash in on any critic who dares call out their questionable franchise movies? seems there's plenty of foamy-mouthed idiots who are over-invested in this stuff and won't brook any argument or countervailing opinion.

Last edited by uziq (2022-03-01 03:28:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Rated by people, like you, most of whom didn't even see it and the remainder who took it completely out of context.

are not comic movie fans precisely guilty of 'bandwagon' behaviour when they crash in on any critic who dares call out their questionable franchise movies? seems there's plenty of foamy-mouthed idiots who are over-invested in this stuff and won't brook any argument or countervailing opinion
Which doesn't mean snooty film-pseuds should think its OK to piss on anything they think don't like.
uziq
+492|3450
your portrayal of critics is parodic and asinine. making out they're all a bunch of 'snooty pseuds' wearing roll-necks and talking only about eisenstein and murnau is dumb as fuck. you can find praise for 'popular' movies and forms of entertainment in every major newspaper, industry magazine, academic journal, etc, in existence. you are literally arguing against your own invented straw-man and caricature.

if anything, critical opinion is overwhelmingly on the side of 'good' comic book movies; it doesn't deny them. christopher nolan's movies have hardly struggled to find plaudits. so why are you twisting this entirely ludicrous image of 'snooty' critics who 'dismiss things because they don't like it?' the whole rigmarole of a 'snooty' critic going to the movies and, actually, quite enjoying a Mad Max movie is a cliché in-itself.

but if a film critic dares call out x-men 17 or the reboot-of-a-reboot of a minor DC character from 1983, evaluating it as a bad movie (even if they've praised previous ones in the series)... oh boy! then see who is 'acting on emotion' in their response: the legions of comic book fans who can't believe a critic would rubbish a movie about their extra-speshul childhood hero! who is blindly reacting to a movie and overlooking all of its faults based on 'their feelings' then?

what you evince continually in these matters is a kind of put-upon victim routine. like you're being victimized for your tastes by an 'establishment'. it would be cute in a 15-year-old. you're a grown man and you're literally 'entrenching' yourself in your like of Cats and comic book movies. lmao. there, there, dilbert, there there. the nasty snooty critics don't even think for themselves anywayz!!!!!1one

Last edited by uziq (2022-03-01 03:41:48)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
30 minutes into Escape From Raccoon City. A lot of questionable choices here.

I can see why this movie did not get a major release

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-03-03 17:42:47)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3450
why the hell was that place called raccoon city anyway?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Yeah it doesn't make sense. Raccoons are only found in the vast forest of places like Ukraine.
uziq
+492|3450
i get that it’s a stereotypically american animal. but that’s a weird place name, man. like naming a place buffalo. what the fuck.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City, 5/10

I barely watched. It was minimized on my phone screen. That is how bad it is.

The one really cool thing about it is that it is set in 1998. Nokia cellphones, palm pilots, mp5s, etc. The story and setting is pretty faithful to the video games which is something people who were into those games might appreciate but the film was dull. The movie crashes 30 seconds in when it spends 10 minutes in the 70's with Claire as a child in an orphanage. Yeah, that is what people want to see.

I also found it strange they race bent a bunch of characters.

Jill V.?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/JillValentineRemake.png
played by a black lady
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Hannah_John-Kamen_Ant-Man_%26_The_Wasp_premiere.jpg

Leon?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/LeonS.Kenneduy.png
played by an Indian
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Avan_Jogia_2019.jpg

I know non-white people in the 90s had very little media influence especially in Japanese video games. But race bending like the most recognizable characters...whose idea was that? I never made the mental connection between those two characters and their video game counterparts. They weren't even dressed like their characters. I get that movies set in modern America need diverse cast so that the widest amount of (paying) viewers have someone they can project onto. But in that case it should have been set in modern America and not 1998.

Look at the cast of Scream (1997)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FI2c_uHWQAYI8xK.jpg
Perfectly normal for the time, 1997. Look at the cast of the 2022 sequel.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBbMppgWUAI2hhI?format=jpg&name=large
Balanced. Representative of what you would find in LA/NYC (the only places that matter in America [unironically]).

Scream did it right if you can accept that diversity sells to some degree. They added new totally new characters. They didn't turn the cop Dewey
https://variety.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/sheriff-dewey-riley-david-arquette.jpg?w=1000
into
https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2008%2F01%2Fthe-wire_l.jpg&q=60
And expect for everyone to just roll with it.

Speaking of Scream. The next movie I plan to be disappointed in is Scream 2022
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Are they playing the same characters as in the old Scream, or are they different ones? Hand-me-down roles can be a little patronizing sometimes, like "what, we couldn't have something new?" There are exceptions of course. I don't mind seeing black people do Shakespeare. Also lots of genderbending on stage back then anyway.

I don't know what expectations you have for horror remakes and long chains of sequels. A lot of that stuff is always going to be pretty camp.
uziq
+492|3450
‘race bent’ a lot of characters lol.

so let me get this straight … it’s bad that a japanese games company, who erm, conveniently modelled their characters as white people to appeal to their international console audience … is now changing that, erm, ‘authentic’ racial complexion for the audience demographic?

ah, yes, the lore of your hastily re-localised 1990s game is being violated. sacrilege!

just why did all those white people in a mid-western 1990s city have japanese people’s haircuts anyway?

Last edited by uziq (2022-03-03 23:15:00)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard