uziq
+492|3450
thank god for highly original, totally innovative comic book/superhero movies. shining a beacon for creativity in depressing times, when the world is inundated by small-budget films from hipsters portraying utter drivel about such tedious topics as love, loss and families.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Yes, people go to the cinema to be reminded how miserable life is.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
people have been attending tragedies for 2,500 years. evidently there is some appeal in the genre.

aristotle wrote about how tragic literature and performances help the audience to achieve 'catharsis'. neat concept. you should look it up.

i guess being a 50-year-old escapist who prefers infantile fantasies of superpowers and good-triumphing-over-evil and getting their 'just desserts' (mmm, chocolate) is just so much better.

chin chin, chap!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, I'm sure your new depression genre will be a real money-spinner

A family friend is a Hollywood producer, maybe I can flip some of your scripts to him

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-12-17 22:51:10)

uziq
+492|3450
what movie have i recommended recently that's 'depressing'?

minari and portrait of a lady on fire are not 'depressing'. they portray real people in real scenarios with their attendant joys and sadnesses.

it's beautiful, not depressing. life itself is beautiful because of its joys and sadnesses, isn't it? you can't have one without the other. hence the tragi-comic.

great criticism, by the way. i am personally gutted that the movies i like and things i enjoy seeing will never make $1 billion at the box office. i don't know how i will continue to extract any worth or value from them. for the same reason i have decided to burn my collected works of shakespeare. he'll never be a bestseller! my friend is a literary agent and he told me it'll never catch on.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-17 22:56:25)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, you do your thing
uziq
+492|3450
you really do talk utter claptrap sometimes. you don't even believe in the things you say or the positions you take. sheer childishness.

'it's not good because it's not a money-spinner'. as if you believe that money is the intrinsic value of everything.
'lol okay let's see you write a bestselling children's book'. because that's the ultimate measure of artistic worth, isn't it?
'depression genre will never catch on'. i mean it's not as if the oldest works of art and literature in the world don't involve death, or war, or romantic strife, etc, do they?

it's honestly like interacting with a child. you're a man-baby. you have never matured beyond a sort of late-adolescent attitude.

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Conversely you spend so much time looking backwards the future is a mystery to you.
uziq
+492|3450
i read contemporary literature, watch new movies, attend the theatre, go to new exhibitions and galleries. really fail to see how i'm 'looking backwards'. i'm not really a history buff or someone who spends his time buried in the same old WW2 books – isn't that your reading list?

ironically a film like minari is about an extremely modern topic: people displaced and trying to emigrate to a new place, to start a new life. isn't that something like a universal condition for a great majority of the world population thesedays? having to move to find work is a basic condition of existence for vast amounts of the world's population. not a spectrum of human experience you are at all interested in, of course. but if anything is 'the future', that is surely it, not people being bitten by radioactive spiders and acquiring superpowers.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes, people go to the cinema to be reminded how miserable life is.
uziq
+492|3450
minari is not a miserable movie. go and watch it. it's categorised as a 'comedy-drama' ffs.

people find other people's lives interesting. imagine that. you would be able to understand if it you weren't a cucked misanthrope.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-17 23:39:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

dilb: "Dramas are miserable movies, full of human misery."
also dilb: *watches violent action movies, full of human misery*
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

dilb: "Dramas are miserable movies, full of human misery."
also dilb: *watches violent action movies, full of human misery*
i wonder where he would put parasite or squid game.

Last edited by Cybargs (2021-12-18 04:51:45)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Probably somewhere in Southeast Asia.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin
Spider Man: No Way Home 11/10 . Seriously, I was legitimately surprised with this film. By far the best spiderman film I ever saw, potentially even the best MCU film. I did not have high expectations but man, it surprised me. Loved the tie-ins with other marvel comics media.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Loved that they had a brief scene with Netflix's version of daredevil. Also the relationships and interactions with all three different spider men from all films was FANTASTIC!!! Not to mention the villains were done well.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 8/10

Not really sure what it was about, Luc Besson is reliable for this sort of thing, Cara Delevingne was hilarious and has the sulky eye-rolling thing off pat.

Rihanna as a blue tentacled thing was intriguing.

I enjoyed it anyway.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-12-20 01:55:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Thinking back on it, it might've been better as a miniseries. I still feel like they were trying to do too much with too little time. Then again, sometimes series tend to meander as well. And then get canceled before completion.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Hamilton on Disney+. Basically a recording of a show in 2016.

I watched the first 30 minutes five times today. 8/10. There's a lot of good stuff here. Really clever songs. Made me look up some things on wiki that I didn't know. Seeing these characters in a non-trad way makes them more relatable than the historically abused version right wingers put out there.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/02/ … overrated/

National Review writer about Hamilton. This same guy wrote about how great the play is several times.

The commentators hate it though I doubt they ever watched it. A lot of people can't make it past the rap part of it even though the whole thing isn't rap. There is a lot of traditional singing too when the lady parts come up. I am slowly chipping through it and like it the more I watch. All of the history teachers I spoke to about it are also crazy about the play. "My daughter knows all the lyrics." said one white guy. Some of the kids really enjoy it too. Very happy to have discovered it. I am a convert.

The National Review writer who keeps promoting the play is a New Yorker. While New Yorkers can be pig people, 'taking the wife to a musical' is something that just doesn't connect with many pig people in other parts of the country. Shame.
uziq
+492|3450
why on earth would you go to the national review to read broadway/theatre/musical criticism, LOL. not exactly an esteemed cultural review.

i for one am absolutely shocked that the national review's writers and readership had less than glowing things to say about a musical (it's not a play) that reimagines american history through the perspective of slavers and ebonics. shock, horreur, etc. that the standards of their criticisms could fall beneath a pauline kael or a kenneth tynan is absolutely shocking!

as to whether hamilton is 'over-rated': this is one of those extra-cultural criticisms that is a comment on more than strictly form, content, execution, etc. hamilton undoubtedly became a cultural 'phenomenon', which brings in all sorts of other discussion points other than the merits of the actual musical itself. sometimes these things just ignite a touchpaper within the culture generally, or catch a heady historical crosswind. the actual merits and quality of the thing-itself become somewhat irrelevant. see also: 'is the da vinci code actually bad history?', 'is 50 shades of grey actually poorly written?' 'is harry potter a retconned piece of piffle written by a TERF?' etc.

lin manuel makes me cringe for a whole number of reasons, but one can forgive all that success going to someone's head. a very big criticism was made of the whole hamilton phenomenon by ishmael reed, who is/was a giant of the original harlem renaissance. the 'original' new york radical writers of colour are really not down with hamilton and lin manuel's disney aesthetic. probably a more pointed and relevant piece of criticism than anything that the national review will put out on their pages.

https://observer.com/2019/01/playwright … tal-fraud/

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-21 07:53:21)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

uziq wrote:

i for one am absolutely shocked that the national review's writers and readership had less than glowing things to say about a musical (it's not a play) that reimagines american history through the perspective of slavers and ebonics.
Did you actually read the article? The national review writers like the show. Is the commentators who are weird.
uziq
+492|3450
yes, i did read the article. but you said yourself that he changed his tune over time. and i was addressing more pointedly the commentators and people who go to the NR to read 'cultural commentary' or reviews of cultural shows. they're clearly not going there for a nuanced aesthetic appreciation. they want to get their political rocks off. culture war-type stuff doesn't exactly lend itself to great and enduring criticism.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

uziq wrote:

lin manuel makes me cringe for a whole number of reasons, but one can forgive all that success going to someone's head. a very big criticism was made of the whole hamilton phenomenon by ishmael reed, who is/was a giant of the original harlem renaissance. the 'original' new york radical writers of colour are really not down with hamilton and lin manuel's disney aesthetic. probably a more pointed and relevant piece of criticism than anything that the national review will put out on their pages.

https://observer.com/2019/01/playwright … tal-fraud/
I don't follow LM but I know his other attempts at big musicals didn't work out. In the Heights bombed which is ashamed.

A lot of the woke critics are just jealous. A different side of the same coin the National Review comment section people are on. Considering some people accused LM of "colorism" for not putting black people into In the Heights leads me to believe that a lot of people are also salty that LM, light skinned and straight haired, is the most successful Broadway star from that community.

Also speaking of musicals...west side story bombed too.
uziq
+492|3450
lol i definitely wouldn't call ishmael reed a 'woke' anything.
uziq
+492|3450

War Man wrote:

all three different spider men from all films was FANTASTIC!!!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FHRb10YXMAQ4ruG?format=jpg&name=900x900

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard