Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
I enjoyed the music when I was a kid, the whole thing has been weird since it was conceived in 1939, no idea why people are still making an issue of this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Possu … tical_Cats

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3443
lmao the musical cats was not conceived in 1939.

t. s. eliot’s poetry has only the most tendentious relationship with the musical.

his widow approved the musical: he was dead. in fact by all accounts his estate has been extremely tightly controlled and he didn’t want adaptations of his work anywhere. he didn’t want an official biography and he didn’t want his letters to be published. everything in his lifetime indicates that he did not want publicity. and he certainly didn’t want for money.

his widow made an exception for the musical because ALW charmed the senile old biddy to death and promised a large royalty cheque for eliot’s publishing house, of which he was the main editor, at faber & faber.

i’d hardly say therefore the musical or disastrous movie were ‘conceived’ in 1939. poets write whimsy and nonsense all the time. it was fashionable in the early 20th century and had somewhat of a pedigree. think lewis carroll and c. s. lewis. so far as i know, the poems were intended for his godchildren – not broadway.

lol at dilbert linking t. s. eliot, high modernist prelate and one of the most elitist art-types imaginable. i am fucking amused.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-18 23:31:01)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The poetry was conceived in 1939 you moron.
uziq
+492|3443
yes and it’s link to the musical numbers you like is TENDENTIOUS at best.

an infirm old widow being charmed at the piano by ALW (this actually happened) has no relevance to a poetry collection published in 1939.

why you even invoke the man’s work or name when he stands for literally everything you despise about arts - elitism, bloodlessness, ascetism, intense anglican spirituality - is just funny.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The poetry was weird though no? And thats what the story and lyrics were based on. That was the point you completely missed.

Have you ever considered maybe you're over-educated? Everything seems to go over your head.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-19 00:12:25)

uziq
+492|3443
have you ever considered maybe you’re autistic? most of your life revolves around cats and now you’re arguing over 1939 poetry collections so that you can justify liking a camp musical and getting an erection over furry-CGI taylor swift.

the poetry wasn’t ‘weird’, it was whimsy written for children. maybe stop and take that in. composed. for. CHILDREN.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-19 00:31:33)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

I enjoyed the music when I was a kid, the whole thing has been weird since it was conceived in 1939, no idea why people are still making an issue of this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Possu … tical_Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtoDY140o4
I have a copy of OPBPC. It was not intended to be a broadway musical. Broadway took a handful of silly writings and made it weird.

It's also funny that you should bring up Memory (like the crowning number in Cats). The one the show has been building up to in its disjointed, bizarre fashion. The one frequently belted out in singing contests like everywhere.

'19's "OC" butted in and turned it on its head. Grizabella's character was effectively destroyed from buildup to choreography. I'm sorry but if I have to watch a Cats, I'd rather stick with '98 where I don't have to watch tapdancing out of step with the beat, wth. Or have to endure Mr. Mistoffelees taking eight years to get through his bit because they keep pausing every five seconds.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I'm surprised macbeth isn't more into Cats, since it involves a small furry animal dying at the end. There's a payoff there where American Psycho backed off.
Larssen
+99|1879
I am glad none of this is even remotely familiar to me or my culture.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I dunno about that, hasn't Cats already played in a bunch of European countries?
uziq
+492|3443

Larssen wrote:

I am glad none of this is even remotely familiar to me or my culture.
to be fair tenet isn’t much better.
Larssen
+99|1879
Well now that's harsh uzi. I do think tenet was fairly good. If your previous point was how timefuckery is absolutely not a novel concept and that nolan is recycling it so much that it gets boring - both true. Though I liked the specific variation and visualisation in tenet, i.e. characters moving forwards and backwards in time in parallel.

I'm sure cats played in cinemas here as the US always wants to export its garbage, but the story and background to it, I've never heard of this.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-19 01:58:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Kind of unfair don't you think? Not everything the US exports is "garbage." Could as easily muckrake European history in recent centuries.
uziq
+492|3443
cats is a british musical and the movie had a british director.

it’s an internationally famous musical with long runs in many countries.

i despise musicals, my least favourite thing possibly ever, their lineage goes back to music halls full of plebeian trash, but i don’t think we can categorise it as ‘US trash’.

po-faced, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual movies that are obsessed with their own monumentality, however: now nolan really is an american exemplum there.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-19 02:45:21)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Damage done to families during World War 2 is still very much in living memory. But yes, America is apparently "exporting" its "garbage play" … by Andrew Lloyd Webber, that premiered in London. That's the real issue.

Larssen, you ass.
uziq
+492|3443
why are you mentioning ww2 in a discussion of cats? i mean i think it’s terrible shit but i don’t quite think we have to invoke the nazis and the american war dead.

i think we can all safely conclude that there’s something about cats, cats fans, and cat people generally that is deeply weird and maladjusted. some diverted energies somewhere. possibly autism. possibly infertility. definitely terminal avoidance from females.
Larssen
+99|1879
When I saw jason derulo I assumed it was american. I did tell you all I have zero familiarity with this.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

uziq wrote:

why are you mentioning ww2 in a discussion of cats? i mean i think it’s terrible shit but i don’t quite think we have to invoke the nazis and the american war dead.

i think we can all safely conclude that there’s something about cats, cats fans, and cat people generally that is deeply weird and maladjusted. some diverted energies somewhere. possibly autism. possibly infertility. definitely terminal avoidance from females.
It's more of a soft grudge than anything that really makes sense in terms of Cats. Larssen talking about US garbage exports shifted the topic before I did.

It's that I've got family that had night terrors and personality disorders thanks to the war, until the end of their days. Yet here comes a European shitting on the US for a play we didn't even write. "The US likes exporting its garbage."

And if one of those close call stories (rarely talked about) went worse than what happened, I may not have even existed.

Probably unnecessary. I'm over it.
Larssen
+99|1879
Is cats about ww2?

What's this got to do with the war. If that movie is their tribute to the fallen of WW2 I must say it's worse than just garbage
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

lol..
Larssen
+99|1879
I don't know how we go from garbage exports to ww2. You're not going to tell me the US doesn't sometimes export garbage or else we're gonna start talking about 1942. I grew up near the ardennes dude you don't have to tell me about war memories.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-19 04:16:26)

uziq
+492|3443
lol ffs. please don't insult bad american cultural exports because my grandfather gets night sweats from his time at omaha beach.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

music halls full of plebeian trash
You mean opera.
uziq
+492|3443
the antecedent to musicals in the UK is the music hall or cabaret.

opera might have had plebeian origins in italy but definitely not in anglophone countries.

cats isn't exactly the covent garden or glyndebourne.
Larssen
+99|1879
I rather see a musical than an opera. Operas are even more campy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard