Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5966|London, England

Les mis sux
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
Anyone with a pair of testicles already knows that
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Argo fuck yourself.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

The Master

The fuck was that shit / 10

The preview I watched showed Phoenix in the navy, interviewed by a psychologist. Cool I thought a world war 2 movie, awesome actor. Could be good.

So many moments in this stupid movie I questioned my sanity. It doesn't even end with an ending.

Fuck you Paul Thomas Anderson.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

The Master

The fuck was that shit / 10
https://i.imgur.com/2ohTvpn.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

Oscar winners
1. Best Picture: "Argo."

2. Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln."

3. Actress: Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook."

4. Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained."

5. Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables."

6. Directing: Ang Lee, "Life of Pi."

7. Foreign Language Film: "Amour."

8. Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, "Argo."

9. Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Brave."

11. Production Design: "Lincoln."

12. Cinematography: "Life of Pi."

13. Sound Mixing: "Les Miserables."

14. Sound Editing (tie): "Skyfall," ''Zero Dark Thirty."

15. Original Score: "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna.

16. Original Song: "Skyfall" from "Skyfall," Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth.

17. Costume: "Anna Karenina."

18. Documentary Feature: "Searching for Sugar Man."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Inocente."

20. Film Editing: "Argo."

21. Makeup and Hairstyling: "Les Miserables."

22. Animated Short Film: "Paperman."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Curfew."

24. Visual Effects: "Life of Pi."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 … z2Lt4qGba3
I have still have to get around to seeing Argo and Les Miserables
Shows that there really ARE only like five films a year worth watching...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
lol at taking the oscars as a benchmark for 'films worth watching'. that's basically equating the aesthetic judgements and whims of a select hollywood academy with an objective evaluation of film/art-cinema. that's hilarious. hollywood is mostly shit. oscars/academy awards seldom go to films that win highest praise from film-buffs/critics. it's a self-congratulathon for the already rich and famous. you can't possibly pretend to be a man of taste and sensibility (as you so often do), when you take film recommendations and cues from the fucking OSCARS.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5966|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

lol at taking the oscars as a benchmark for 'films worth watching'. that's basically equating the aesthetic judgements and whims of a select hollywood academy with an objective evaluation of film/art-cinema. that's hilarious. hollywood is mostly shit. oscars/academy awards seldom go to films that win highest praise from film-buffs/critics. it's a self-congratulathon for the already rich and famous. you can't possibly pretend to be a man of taste and sensibility (as you so often do), when you take film recommendations and cues from the fucking OSCARS.
I thought everyone knew that the oscars were bullshit

I guess not
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I don't. It just happens to confirm my bias in this case. I don't watch a lot of movies or tv, mostly because there is very little of it that I find interesting.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
if there's one self-important awards ceremony that you use as a prescription for "the 5 films you watch this year" (surely in-itself a ludicrous premise), surely it'd be something like the cannes film festival, no? at least that still retains the thin pretension of being about 'cinema' or 'film' qua artform, rather than as a world-straddling celebrity-factory-cum-institution. cannes actually focusses on aesthetic judgement and matters of artistic merit. the oscars is basically a hype-barometer for whoevers' agent snorted the most coke at the right parties that year. Argo is a hunk of shit - totally unexemplary. the reason it won? hollywood loves the schmaltzy 'comeback' narrative. now they can all clap themselves on the back and feel great about making affleck a 'winner' again, rather than an actor who had fallen off the hundred-million-dollar-budget boat.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Cannes isn't shown on network TV here.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
oh i forgot you got all of your cultural education and awareness from your recliner and cable remote
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
here's a genius idea, jay: want to find a few films worth watching this year? wikipedia the nominations/winners of a credible organisation!

... or do you need to see the weeping acceptance speeches, and critique their red-carpet wear?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Shakespeare in love beat Saving Private Ryan for best picture.

You can't make that shit up
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

here's a genius idea, jay: want to find a few films worth watching this year? wikipedia the nominations/winners of a credible organisation!

... or do you need to see the weeping acceptance speeches, and critique their red-carpet wear?
You're barking up the wrong tree there. I didn't watch the Oscars last night.

Besides, you're obsession with what critics think is idiotic. The fact that you have to be told by others that something is good before you deign to watch, listen to, or read something reeks of insecurity.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
i don't have an obsession with what critics think. 90% of the films i have seen this year are 25+ years old. all of my film watching has been apposite and linked-in to my literature reading - pursuing my own academic interests. the only oscar nominated film i've seen all the way through is django, and i've shared my thoughts about that (which are far from fawning and appreciative, as the mainstream critics consensus was). so funny to talk about "barking up the wrong tree". i don't watch tv. i don't watch hollywood 'must see' films. most of the authors i read (and their critics) have been dead 100+ years. the contemporary authors i read - perhaps with one exception - are pretty much overlooked. as for music... jesus, don't even goi there. so what exactly are you referring to? i'm intrigued.

i guess i'm insecure though, np, cause that helps you justify the fact you get your culture from cable television. anyone who has more knowledge than you is just tryhard/insecure, right? infallible 'omg ur a no-life' gamer logic, again.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-25 11:41:45)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5700

Macbeth wrote:

wall of text
it's all garbage.

i had someone try and explain iran-us relations after watching argo. it wasn't as bad as the people who thought they were enlightened and 'in the loop' after newsroom came out.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
bunch of experts
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
how's that community college degree treating you
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

Check out  Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma, good date night film.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
who?
Tu Stultus Es
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

Shakespeare in love beat Saving Private Ryan for best picture.

You can't make that shit up
I actually liked SiL better. Private Ryan moved its climax to the beginning with the whole Normandy thing.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
plus how much recognition do you want to give spielberg for doing the exact same thing his entire career. okay yeah, it's great, it has defined a certain generation/brand of hollywood movie, but really, you can't just throw awards at him for repeating himself ad infinitum. the jews who run the hollywood studios/awards were probably burnt out on ww2 melodrama after schindler's list.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-25 15:10:58)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Yeah I often note the similarities between Saving Private Ryan and the movie ET - The Extra Terrestrial.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
SPR was long boring and nothing happened for 3 hours. 4/10 will not watch again.

Haven't seen Shakespeare in love and hopefully never will.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard