Adamshannon8
+94|6184

Arnie_Ze_Austrian wrote:

Dice has never explained the context surrounding the network commands (interp and extrap are general concepts -- the specific implementation details are unknown), so changing them is basically trial & error.   

I've tried changing them numerous times.  Sometimes it felt better, sometimes it felt worse.  Sometimes I couldn't even remember what I'd set them to.  Eventually I stopped bothering and I just use the defaults.  I've yet to see any actual evidence that changing the settings yields an advantage (other than unsubstantiated cries of "omg it works for me!11").

I am extremely sceptical that this program does anything worthwhile.  What's the point in writing a settings 'optimiser' when nobody actually knows what the settings do in the first place?  How can you claim to optimise something you do not fully understand?

For all we know, half of these settings aren't even hooked up to the game.
Fine, use this and set your ping to 500 in-game and see how much dust you get

ph4s3 wrote:

I'm with arnie_ze_austrian... Sounds like a bunch of bullshit.  If it was that easy to fix hitreg, the programmers would've built it into the game with any one of the numerous patches.
Its ea/dice......
Guy.Buddy.Friend
coks
+71|5865

Adamshannon8 wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

I'm with arnie_ze_austrian... Sounds like a bunch of bullshit.  If it was that easy to fix hitreg, the programmers would've built it into the game with any one of the numerous patches.
Its ea/dice......
EA has never given a shit about anything the good players want.
BORNKILLERS
+7|6656|uk
Well the program would work if it was actually coded right , No extrapolation in the script just 2 interpolation.
Adamshannon8
+94|6184

BORNKILLERS wrote:

Well the program would work if it was actually coded right , No extrapolation in the script just 2 interpolation.
Its fine...
i g
Banned
+876|5863|GA

lulz
BORNKILLERS
+7|6656|uk
No it isn't  the tutorial even shows the error , Interpolation time is  changed twice  even if it was corrected it wont make no affect on the game  unless you know someone within dice were only guessing what corrects the hit box's.
People have being changing  these settings for years believing they actually do something when its all placebo effect.

Last edited by BORNKILLERS (2008-07-05 14:03:00)

alexb
<3
+590|5938|Kentucky, USA

BORNKILLERS wrote:

No it isn't  the tutorial even shows the error , Interpolation time is  changed twice  even if it was corrected it wont make no affect on the game  unless you know someone within dice were only guessing what corrects the hit box's people have being changing  these settings for years believing they actually do something when its all placebo effect.
English please?
Wallpaper
+303|5992|The pool

BORNKILLERS wrote:

No it isn't  the tutorial even shows the error , Interpolation time is  changed twice  even if it was corrected it wont make no affect on the game  unless you know someone within dice were only guessing what corrects the hit box's people have being changing  these settings for years believing they actually do something when its all placebo effect.
Well its a pretty good placebo

Last edited by Wallpaper (2008-07-05 13:59:27)

BORNKILLERS
+7|6656|uk
@ alexbay13   In simple terms for you  it doesn't do anything.
hiberNative
7.62x54R
+21|5793|sweden

Wallpaper wrote:

BORNKILLERS wrote:

i agree.
YAAY caaake!!! *eats a rock*
Adamshannon8
+94|6184

BORNKILLERS wrote:

No it isn't  the tutorial even shows the error , Interpolation time is  changed twice  even if it was corrected it wont make no affect on the game  unless you know someone within dice were only guessing what corrects the hit box's.
People have being changing  these settings for years believing they actually do something when its all placebo effect.
Then go use this and set your ping to 500 and see how many times you get dust, then set it to your ping and see how it works.
Wallpaper
+303|5992|The pool

hiberNative wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

BORNKILLERS wrote:

i agree.
STFU! Rocks are tasty!
Guy.Buddy.Friend
coks
+71|5865
I put up a new version that fixes the bug BORN was getting. Enjoy.
BORNKILLERS
+7|6656|uk

Wallpaper wrote:

hiberNative wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

i agree.
STFU! Rocks are tasty!
I take it you are about 14 ?
Wallpaper
+303|5992|The pool

BORNKILLERS wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

hiberNative wrote:

i agree.
STFU! Rocks are tasty!
No

1) I know what placebo is. I was just trying to be funny
2) What does that have to do with anything?
i g
Banned
+876|5863|GA

[DAWGS]

tbh

Last edited by Eye-GiZzLe (2008-07-05 16:34:48)

Guy.Buddy.Friend
coks
+71|5865

BORNKILLERS wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

hiberNative wrote:

i agree.
STFU! Rocks are tasty!
Someone's a little nippy.

Last edited by Guy.Buddy.Friend (2008-07-05 16:45:56)

Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6141
You still haven't explained how you've calculated what is 'optimal' for any given ping.  Even based on empirical estimates, you're just going to be guessing.  Moreover, network settings are typically dependent on numerous things including ping, bandwidth, stability, packet loss etc.

This reminds me of the old pushlatency cvar for HL.  Valve eventually removed it because various people kept setting it to totally stupid values that actually decreased the quality of play.  Why?  'cause one day someone claimed some magic number was best, and Captain Placebo and his mates jumped on the bandwagon.

It's cool that you (or whoever authored it) went to the trouble of making something like this; I just think it's pointless to use it if the author can't explain the rationale behind it.

Last edited by Arnie_Ze_Austrian (2008-07-05 16:56:32)

Guy.Buddy.Friend
coks
+71|5865

Arnie_Ze_Austrian wrote:

You still haven't explained how you've calculated what is 'optimal' for any given ping.  Even based on empirical estimates, you're just going to be guessing.  Moreover, network settings are typically dependent on numerous things including ping, bandwidth, stability, packet loss etc.

This reminds me of the old pushlatency cvar for HL.  Valve eventually removed it because various people kept setting it to totally stupid values that actually decreased the quality of play.  Why?  'cause one day someone claimed some magic number was best, and Captain Placebo and his mates jumped on the bandwagon.

It's cool that you (or whoever authored it) went to the trouble of making something like this; I just think it's pointless to use it if the author can't explain the rationale behind it.
Th author can't explain it because he's been banned from this forum. If you would like to talk to him, his xfire is walkberkman and his e-mail is [email protected]
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6141
Well the fact that it entered the interp value twice (in the screenshot it shows up as 25 instead of 300, just a slight error...) and loads of people still claimed it was great just seals it for me.  Just type in a random number and be done with it...  

So let's see what it was actually doing:
* Changing default latency setting
* Setting the interp value to something totally different to what it actually meant to do
* Not setting the extrap setting at all

So it got 1/3 right, 1/3 totally wrong and 1/3 had no effect.  I hope you can why I am utterly sceptical.
Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6482|P-way, NJ
I don't think we really care tbh

Gg sky =]
VividSynergy
Banned
+6|5787|Bolingbrook, United States

Arnie_Ze_Austrian wrote:

Well the fact that it entered the interp value twice (in the screenshot it shows up as 25 instead of 300, just a slight error...) and loads of people still claimed it was great just seals it for me.  Just type in a random number and be done with it...  

So let's see what it was actually doing:
* Changing default latency setting
* Setting the interp value to something totally different to what it actually meant to do
* Not setting the extrap setting at all

So it got 1/3 right, 1/3 totally wrong and 1/3 had no effect.  I hope you can why I am utterly sceptical.
That glitch only happened to Born, and maybe a few others.  It worked perfectly for me the first time.
Wallpaper
+303|5992|The pool
Eh, whatever. If it makes it seem like my shots are reging, and prevents me from going into a rage because that-asshole-killed-me-even-though-I-put-30-bullets-in-his-head-WTF, its good enough for me
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6536|Internetfitlerland

Wallpaper wrote:

Eh, whatever. If it makes it seem like my shots are reging, and prevents me from going into a rage because that-asshole-killed-me-even-though-I-put-30-bullets-in-his-head-WTF, its good enough for me
Adamshannon8
+94|6184

~Smokey~ wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard