Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire
I've been watching weird and wonderful movies for many years now and I'm always on the lookout for good suggestions from fellow movie buffs. With that in mind I've decided to compile a list for anyone who might want to check out a good movie that's outside of the Hollywood/mainstream style. Some of these films you may have heard of and some of them would not traditionally be called 'cult' but are rather great movies that have slipped under the radar. It's a personal preference list and it's in no particular order but if you like strange and interesting movies check them out...

1. Donnie Darko
2. Twentynine Palms
3. Irreversible
4. I Went Down
5. Breach
6. Lost Highway
7. The Seventh Continent
8. The Ordeal
9. Nightwatch
10. Primer
11. Cube
12. Paris, Texas
13. Roger Dodger
14. Dead Man's Shoes
15. How To Get Ahead In Advertising
16. Living In Oblivion
17. Tattoo
18. Thesis
19. L.I.E.
20. Safe
21. Insomnia
22. Possession
23. Blue Collar
24. 101 Reykjavik
25. Fear X
26. A Room For Romeo Brass
27. Buffalo 66
28. Trouble Every Day
29. Bad Lieutenant
30. Audition
31. Pi
32. The Station Agent
33. The Bible & Gun Club
34. Hidden
35. Session 9
36. The Adjuster
37. Mulholland Drive
38. Them
39. Southern Comfort
40. I Stand Alone
41. Benny's Video
42. Gozu
43. The Machinist
44. The Brave
45. The Holy Mountain
46. The Lives Of Others
47. Videodrome
48. Jacob's Ladder
49. Birth
50. The Big Lebowski
51. Gerry
52. Oldboy
53. The Conversation
54. Pusher
55. Adam & Paul
56. Switchblade Romance
57. Electra Glide In Blue
58. Wolf Creek
59. Open Your Eyes
60. On The Edge
61. Lemming
62. Eraserhead
63. Memento
64. Intacto
65. The Devil's Backbone
66. Once Were Warriors
67. Brain Candy
68. Harsh Times
69. Eagle Vs. Shark
70. The Edukators
71. Chopper
72. Elephant
73. Garage
74. Violent Cop
75. Funny Games
76. The Thing
77. Withnail & I
78. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
79. Arizona Dream
80. Animal Factory
81. Cannibal Holocaust
82. The Vanishing
83. Taxi Driver
84. Antibodies
85. The Boondock Saints
86. U Turn
87. Sling Blade
88. Right At Your Door
89. Amores Perros
90. The Ninth Configuration
91. Requiem For A Dream
92. Last Days
93. Vital
94. The Host
95. Barton Fink
96. Kontroll
97. Ring
98. Tell No One
99. The Fountain
100. Day Of The Beast
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6675|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I havent seen any of those, I feel I should apologise.

Is the way you have described it above the definition of 'cult', ie, not mainstream.

Can we offer suggestions?
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6383|the land of bourbon
irreversible was really not that good.

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-07-01 12:17:04)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

1927 wrote:

Is the way you have described it above the definition of 'cult', ie, not mainstream.

Well 'cult' in terms of movies usually means something somewhat out of the ordinary...but it's a very loose definition. Please add your own suggestions...if it's not on the list put if forward by all means. I'm always looking for good suggestions for films to watch.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

steelie34 wrote:

I think it was, I've watched it about 8 times now and it still strikes a chord with me. I think even when you ignore the controversy aspect you still have a clever and very well acted movie.
steelie34
pub hero!

Braddock wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

I think it was, I've watched it about 8 times now and it still strikes a chord with me. I think even when you ignore the controversy aspect you still have a clever and very well acted movie.
i respectfully disagree.  poorly acted, weak story, and the only thing that makes it not hopelessly garbage is ms. bellucci

but you do have "requiem for a dream" on your list which is

if they showed that movie to grade school kids instead of those outdated "drugs are bad" movies from the 50s, no kids would ever do drugs again.

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-07-01 12:24:12)

madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6712|Sweden
To little Seagal honestly

He´s really cult tbh.

https://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/fubar730/seagal.jpg

Last edited by madmurre (2008-07-01 12:24:04)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

steelie34 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

i respectfully disagree.  poorly acted, weak story, and the only thing that makes it not hopelessly garbage is ms. bellucci
It is a very divisive movie...some people love it and some people absolutely hate it.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6837|Kubra, Damn it!

Braddock wrote:

1927 wrote:

Well 'cult' in terms of movies usually means something somewhat out of the ordinary...but it's a very loose definition. Please add your own suggestions...if it's not on the list put if forward by all means. I'm always looking for good suggestions for films to watch.
I think of cult films as having a usually small, very dedicated fan base. Good choices mostly, though I though Nightwatch sucked. I want to see Twentynine Palms since I was born there (my dad was a Marine).
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6712|Sweden
On a more serious note, Wolf Creek? i´m confused it´s a splatter movie, stupid collegue girls with if possible even more stupid boyfriends gets killed by a retard movie

Not questioning your taste i´m just as stated confused there are so many more well played and slightly less obvious splatters out so why did you pick that one? or could it be you hardly watch mediocre splatters and fell for it because it´s said to be filmed on true events?

sorry for ranting i really think that´s a terrible movie

Last edited by madmurre (2008-07-01 12:32:54)

chittydog
less busy

Braddock wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

It is a very divisive movie...some people love it and some people absolutely hate it.
This comment on IMDB "The film is notorious for its extended rape sequence" has ensured that I won't watch it. I hate that shit.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

chittydog wrote:

Braddock wrote:

1927 wrote:

I think of cult films as having a usually small, very dedicated fan base. Good choices mostly, though I though Nightwatch sucked. I want to see Twentynine Palms since I was born there (my dad was a Marine).
The Nightwatch on the list is the original Danish version btw, not the Ewan McGregor remake. Twentynine Palms is a very strange, eerie movie. I watched it again at the weekend and still find it quite haunting...you get this feeling of dread building through the film even though nothing much is really happening.
chittydog
less busy

Braddock wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Braddock wrote:

The Nightwatch on the list is the original Danish version btw, not the Ewan McGregor remake. Twentynine Palms is a very strange, eerie movie. I watched it again at the weekend and still find it quite haunting...you get this feeling of dread building through the film even though nothing much is really happening.
Ah. I thought the Nightwatch you meant was that crappy Russian one.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6465|Tyne & Wear, England
Have you seen The Machinist, Braddock?

Edit:  nevermind I just noticed it's on your list, awesome film.

Last edited by KILLSWITCH (2008-07-01 12:43:02)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

chittydog wrote:

Braddock wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Ah. I thought the Nightwatch you meant was that crappy Russian one.
Yeah, I have to say I thought that Russian vampire film was rubbish...although i watched a copy with dodgy subtitles, couldn't understand what the hell was going on!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

madmurre wrote:

On a more serious note, Wolf Creek? i´m confused it´s a splatter movie, stupid collegue girls with if possible even more stupid boyfriends gets killed by a retard movie

Not questioning your taste i´m just as stated confused there are so many more well played and slightly less obvious splatters out so why did you pick that one? or could it be you hardly watch mediocre splatters and fell for it because it´s said to be filmed on true events?

sorry for ranting i really think that´s a terrible movie
I just thought Wolf Creek was good for what it was...especially considering the film's low budget. It also breaks a few 'rules' of the genre.

You're just annoyed because there are so many Danish films in there! ...Just kidding .
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6465|Tyne & Wear, England
I've seen quite a few on your list Braddock, some great films there.  After a quick browse through my collection, I would reccomend:

Get Carter (1971)
Dog Day Afternoon
The Constant Gardener
Deliverance
Sexy Beast
The Wicker Man (1973)
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
The Shining
He Was a Quiet Man
American Psycho
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
steelie34
pub hero!
oh btw, you forgot Dr. Strangelove...
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

steelie34 wrote:

oh btw, you forgot Dr. Strangelove...
Yeah, I'd consider that to be a solid gold classic and therefore above the status of cult.

I've left off quite a few great films actually now that i think of it, not enough room.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6675|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Cuckoo's nest is one of my fav films ever but it was mainstream and won oscars so can it still be cult?  If so add Pulp Fiction to the list.

Twin Towns (Welsh comedy)
I.D (Football violence)
As cool as Ice (Vanilla Ice film, - Your going to kill me for that)
New Jack City and Boyz n tha hood (started a new genre of films, check me out with words like that)
Shawshank
The Goonies (we all remember that as kids don't we?)
Human Traffic (Film about nightclubbing in Cardiff)
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

I've seen six of those on your list, (excluding the two kiwi films Eagle vs. Shark and Once Were Warriors, I really should see those.)
Quite a few of the films on that list are on my "to watch" list.

You should replace "Ringu" with "Ju On". Scariest fucking movie I've seen, no horror has seemed scary since I saw it.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

Ty wrote:

I've seen six of those on your list, (excluding the two kiwi films Eagle vs. Shark and Once Were Warriors, I really should see those.)

You should replace "Ringu" with "Ju On". Scariest fucking movie I've seen, no horror has seemed scary since I saw it.
Yeah I have Ju On in my collection too, was nearly gonna put it down on the list. The Japanese originals are always way better than the shitty American remakes.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6407|NSW, Australia

Ty wrote:

If you watch Once Were Warriors there's a sequel called What becomes of the broken hearted
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

XxRavenxX wrote:

Ty wrote:

If you watch Once Were Warriors there's a sequel called What becomes of the broken hearted
I know that. I also know that the man who wrote the books the films were based on is Alan Duff. I also know that Temuera Morrison played Jake "The Muss" Heke.  I know the story and even the characters but for some reason I've never seen the movies.

For "cult" films has anyone seen "The Chumscrubber"? I would reccomend it but to be honest I'd only be basing that on other people's reviews. My personal review was that it was one of the most confusing films I've ever seen. The underlying idea was a good one but man there was so much weird shit that got in the way.
Fucking strange film...
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
belldawg
Serial Jay-Walker
+52|5985|Perth, indian ocean
cannibal holocaust, fuck yer

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard