ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5849
Yeah.

Another step towards a police state, I guess.  And before there's a clamour of "It's the law, deal with it" keep in mind that in Germany it was the law to arrest Jews and send them "work camps"*.  Just because it's the law doesn't mean it should be.

*Not that I'm suggesting this is anywhere near that bad, just the best example that came to mind.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6511|Gogledd Cymru

It's illegal to swear at police officers/swear in public over here too.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6485|Tyne & Wear, England
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6603|SE London

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Ah, a nice bit of lalochezia there.
mikkel
+383|6623
Well, it's illegal to swear at police officers, around here, too. The thing is, you may be hauled in overnight for verbally assaulting patrolling officers unprovoked, which I feel is fine, but typically our officers are mature enough to let even the longest string of colourful insults tossed out during an arrest slide. Simply walking around spouting obscenities to people falls under the purview of public indecency, and I think most countries have laws against this in some form.

Some laws may sound scary in theory, but the ones letting officers assert their authority in cases like random verbal assault are important. If everyone could go around shouting whatever at officers without leaving them recourse, the respect for their authority would quickly wane with the wrong people.
paul386
+22|6267

mikkel wrote:

Well, it's illegal to swear at police officers, around here, too. The thing is, you may be hauled in overnight for verbally assaulting patrolling officers unprovoked, which I feel is fine, but typically our officers are mature enough to let even the longest string of colourful insults tossed out during an arrest slide. Simply walking around spouting obscenities to people falls under the purview of public indecency, and I think most countries have laws against this in some form.

Some laws may sound scary in theory, but the ones letting officers assert their authority in cases like random verbal assault are important. If everyone could go around shouting whatever at officers without leaving them recourse, the respect for their authority would quickly wane with the wrong people.
You cannot legislate "respect". You cannot force someone to respect you. Perhaps fear you, but what have you achieved but tyranny?
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5813|Dublin, Ohio
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5983|Washington DC
lulz, swearing

It's funny how some people are totally fine with everything going on in the world but they freak out when someone says a word that some dead guy declared a "curse word."
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5849

mikkel wrote:

I disagree.  So long as they're able to enforce their authority when it's required, it doesn't matter.  In fact, having laws that allow them to arrest people who swear at them is practically asking for abuse.
Surgeons

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I disagree.  So long as they're able to enforce their authority when it's required, it doesn't matter.  In fact, having laws that allow them to arrest people who swear at them is practically asking for abuse.
They only warn you if you start swearing directly at you, they will warn you and if you carry on despite disobeying their orders they can arrest you, they don't go around arresting every Tom, Dick and Harry for saying fuck or something.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6551|Global Command
Every man woman and child should simultaneously go up to their local police officer and chant " Bitch, cocknimbler, pig fuckers, " etc.

The law will be revealed for the farce that it is and repealed.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5849
Except the problem is the majority of people don't want swearing in public, which is exactly what makes this law so dangerous.

The Sheriff wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

They only warn you if you start swearing directly at you, they will warn you and if you carry on despite disobeying their orders they can arrest you, they don't go around arresting every Tom, Dick and Harry for saying fuck or something.
But why should they be able to arrest you for swearing at them?
The#1Spot
+105|6562|byah
The word curse or swear should not exist. They are mostly used as modifiers that just carry a lot of weight and have a huge impact. Using the word poop can just as much profanity as the word fuck.
SealXo
+309|6558
sux2bu
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6559|Long Island, New York

KILLSWITCH wrote:

@ Pesci.
Surgeons

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Disrespect to an officer perhaps?

I'm sure the company you work for have rules like this in place to stop personal attacks/disrespectful behaviour against their staff.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6788|UK

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Except the problem is the majority of people don't want swearing in public, which is exactly what makes this law so dangerous.

The Sheriff wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Just like if you swear at me I can sue you for slander.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6016|Truthistan

The Sheriff wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I'm sure the company you work for have rules like this in place to stop personal attacks/disrespectful behaviour against their staff.
Respect is earned, Respect is never an entitlement no matter what your position is. Do you respect your politicians? They hold a higher office than a police officer.

Police should respect the citizenry no matter what. They are the ones that should be saying "yes sir" and "no sir". Not the public. No matter how you address a police officer they should always say yes sir and no sir. Arresting some one for swearing because it shows disrespect flies in the face of the public's right to free expression. Should our rights to free expression take a back seat because a cop doesn't like attitude? AS far as I know cops are supposed to uphold the law and most constitutions around the world have provisions for freedom of expression, so that means that cops are sworn to uphold a persons right to freedom of expression. Cops are not sworn to uphold their own sense of empowerment.

Respect is earned, Cops are public servants (they serve all of the public) and freedom of expression is a right. The cops feeling and sense of self worth take a back seat to a citizens inalienable right to express them self. IF a cop doesn't like it they should quit! if they beat down on someone because they felt disrespected, then the cop should go to jail.

Did it every occur to anyone that the reason why cops are allowed to arrest someone for swearing at them is because if the could not arrest the person the cops would become bullies with badges and give these people a beat down? That means that the ability to arrest someone under these circumstances is for the purpose of providing the cop with a non violent avenue to vent, its in effect a beat down using the legal system. Cops like these should be removed from police forces around the world for all our safety. Our politicians should grab a backbone and stand up to these bullies. Arresting people for being disrespectful to a cop is an absurdity.

PS your analogy is not quite right
if you are faced with a cop you have rights. If you are faced with your boss at work you may or may not have rights depending on where you live.

Last edited by Diesel_dyk (2008-06-29 23:21:02)

ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5849
^^Agree

The Sheriff wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Completely different.  When I'm at work I don't have the right to freedom of expression, I must abide by the companies standards.  That's what I agreed to when I accepted employment.

Vilham wrote:

Might be different where you live, but I'm pretty sure slander is actually speaking blatant lies.

Further, there's a difference between a criminal offence verses you sueing me for damages.
HollisHurlbut
+51|6019

Vilham wrote:

Really?  And have an actual chance of winning?

Jeses Fuck, let's hear it for Independence Day.

Fucking Brits.

File on that.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6857|Kubra, Damn it!

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Might be different where you live, but I'm pretty sure slander is actually speaking blatant lies.
In the US, slander is speaking blatant lies that cause someone some type of loss (financial, reputation, whatever). It's perfectly legal to go around speaking lies that don't hurt people, so feel free to keep saying you're not a virgin.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5849
How did you know?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6667

KILLSWITCH wrote:

lolz nice video
CommonSense
Banned
+51|5958|New York
For such a horrible pay I would arrest any moron who curses at me.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5983|Washington DC

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Completely different.  When I'm at work I don't have the right to freedom of expression, I must abide by the companies standards.  That's what I agreed to when I accepted employment.
Exactly. I didn't sign any agreement about what words I could say in public

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard