SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!
my mobo memory "spec"

"Four 184-pin DDR DIMMs up to 4GB
Supports Dual Channel DDR266/333/400 memory"

-----------------

i have 2 512mb sticks = 1024mb/1gb  (i dont think there anything special, crucial is the make i think)
so that leaves 2 free slots, my question is:

- am i better getting a 1gb stick incase i ever need 3gb ram?
- if i wont need 3gb ram is 2 x 512mb sticks better than 1x 1gb?
- and finaly, will the "crucial" ram and my new ram (would be corsair) be ok working together? like would the crucial slow the other ram down or something?

cheerz,
Lynx
gunnaboy
+26|6727
It is better to ONLY use the same brand ram chips. They will have conflict problems. In my view you will just about never use 3GB ram unless you will be doing some sort of high tech graphic pictures or planing to make a movie or other shit like that. Iam setting up a new computer for myself at the moment and i will only be putting one 1GB corsair ram chip in it. Use 1GB chip not two 512MB chips, less will go wrong and it is easier to O/C your computer if you wanted.
If you need other advice just let me know.
Landepaukku
Finnish bush-man
+23|6847|Finland
Getting 2 x 512mb provides less latency.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726
2X is way better coz it enables dual channel
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!
thanks for the help guys, an gunnaboy "If you need other advice just let me know"    thanks for that to
so im gona get some corsair ram, 2x1gb sticks

so...       http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ … ir_65.html             what one?corsair XMS or corsair XL???

i thot about this one >>>>> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS.html     2nd one down
views on that guys........
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!
oh an also, the dual channel thing cyborg was on about, can that be done with 2  1gb sticks?      whats it do anyways?
gunnaboy
+26|6727
xms is more expensive but better, it's totally up to your budget
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!
ok kool, what about the dual channel thing with 2x  1gb sticks?  can u do it?  an whats it do/whats the difference
gunnaboy
+26|6727
To put it simply without getting technical, it makes it work faster. similar to having one 2GB chip ( which isn't available yet). Yes you can run it dual channel. Works on the same Basis as running 2x 512MB chips dual channel.
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!
thanking you
gunnaboy
+26|6727
Any time mate
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6776|Cambridge (UK)

SAS-Lynx wrote:

ok kool, what about the dual channel thing with 2x  1gb sticks?  can u do it?  an whats it do/whats the difference
To expand on what gunnaboy said above, yes, if your motherboard is trully capable of running "Four 184-pin DDR DIMMs up to 4GB" then if you install 2x1GB they will run dual-channel.

What this basically means is they will run at twice the speed of just 1 stick. It works like this - by installing 2 sticks, your system will be able to address (access) both sticks at the same time - so you get twice the throughput (speed)!

Now, above, I said "if your motherboard is trully capable of" - this is because some motherboards (i.e. those with nForce2 chipsets), although they support having 4 DIMMs (sticks) installed, won't actually run dual channel with 4 DIMMs installed!

Confusing, isn't it?

Well, the long and the short of it is, if what you say about your motherboard is correct, you should buy 2x512MB DIMMs - you're more likely to need a whole new system before you need 3GB. But, if your budget allows, then buying 2x1GB DIMMs will do no harm (and you'll have way more than enough RAM for anything you're likely to want to do for quite some time to come).
Gin
+0|6783
best to use the least amount of modules possible.when you use more than one they shoul be purchased as a matches set. the xms series is a great choice of ram..although their advertised timings must be set in your bios
i reccomend visiting their website at
http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products.html
all the ram questions answered there
Scorpion0x17
+691|6776|Cambridge (UK)

Gin wrote:

best to use the least amount of modules possible.
Sorry, but that's wrong. 1 DIMM (stick/module) will NOT run dual-channel. Dual-channel is only, I repeat ONLY, possible with 2 DIMMs. And as he said his motherboard will support upto 4GB then he should buy 2 DIMMs (either 2x512MB or 2x1GB depending on what his budget will allow).
AveryHawk
+6|6704|Sacramento,CA

gunnaboy wrote:

To put it simply without getting technical, it makes it work faster. similar to having one 2GB chip ( which isn't available yet). Yes you can run it dual channel. Works on the same Basis as running 2x 512MB chips dual channel.
I beg to differ , I am running a pair of 2gb DDR2 sticks for 4 gb of memory. The limit of 2gb is imposed by  windows xp. For me to be able use all 4 gb I had to run Microsoft server 2003 ( I guess Bill never thought the Xp level users would use more than 2 gb of memory , kinda like the 127gb limitation in win 98 for hard drives.)
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!

Gin wrote:

the xms series is a great choice of ram..although their advertised timings must be set in your bios
ohh...   no idea on how to do that (not checkd the URL u gave me yet, goin to do that now
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!
cant really find much info about how to do that on the URL u gave me
gunnaboy
+26|6727

AveryHawk wrote:

gunnaboy wrote:

I beg to differ , I am running a pair of 2gb DDR2 sticks for 4 gb of memory. The limit of 2gb is imposed by  windows xp. For me to be able use all 4 gb I had to run Microsoft server 2003 ( I guess Bill never thought the Xp level users would use more than 2 gb of memory , kinda like the 127gb limitation in win 98 for hard drives.)
It is true, but i was more regarding those who only have XP and not a server program
Scorpion0x17
+691|6776|Cambridge (UK)

gunnaboy wrote:

AveryHawk wrote:

...The limit of 2gb is imposed by  windows xp...
It is true...
Actually, no it's not. Well, it might be for XP Home - I can't find a definitive answer regarding Home edition.

XP Pro has a 4GB limit and this may also be the case for Home - some places say 2, others say 4...

(see:http://www.support.microsoft.com/defaul … mp;SD=tech)
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!

Gin wrote:

the xms series is a great choice of ram..although their advertised timings must be set in your bios
so.... anyone able to help me with that...?   how do i do that
FrEaK
+1|6792|Finland
i have 4x256 mg RAM
psychotoxic187
+11|6719

gunnaboy wrote:

2GB sticks are available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820144208
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6786|Scotland!!!

SAS-Lynx wrote:

Gin wrote:

so.... anyone able to help me with that...?   how do i do that
wayneakagod
+17|6757

psychotoxic187 wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820144208
wtf? Bit pricey aren't they?
psychotoxic187
+11|6719

wayneakagod wrote:

psychotoxic187 wrote: