FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
Why do Americans (this is a generalization) sue so hard?

Example: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,368206,00.html
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
...because our courts allow it..   Many other court systems are more vigilant in throwing out frivolous suits.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6437|The Land of Scott Walker
"... a "design problem" caused a decorative metallic piece on the underwear to fly up and hit Patterson in the eye while she was putting the underwear on"

It must have been under extreme tension to launch that metal piece.  ROFLMAO
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5819

Fox News wrote:

The plaintiff in the case, Macrida Patterson, 52, attributed the May 2007 injury to a Victoria's Secret "low-rise v-string," according to a court document posted on The Smoking Gun.
I've found the problem.

*hides*
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Hopefully she will have to pay the court cost when it gets tossed out.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

Turquoise wrote:

...because our courts allow it..   Many other court systems are more vigilant in throwing out frivolous suits.
But this (and Kmarions examples) is just plain bollocks,
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Turquoise
O Canada
The burden of living in a society that values freedom as much as we do is that we have to constantly deal with people that abuse said freedoms.

There aren't many restrictions on what you can sue for and how much you can be awarded.  Of course, that doesn't mean you'll always win either.
Stingray24
They're going to have a hard time picking a jury with everyone falling off their chairs laughing.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

The problem is that your Judges can award any kind of settlement they want, without regard to previous cases. If they had to rely on previous settlements you wouldn't have a repeat of dumb claims, as the reasons the first case was thrown out point to the next similar being just as worthless.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6560|Mountains of NC

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Stingray24
"injury of feelings"
Turquoise
O Canada

TheAussieReaper wrote:

The problem is that your Judges can award any kind of settlement they want, without regard to previous cases. If they had to rely on previous settlements you wouldn't have a repeat of dumb claims, as the reasons the first case was thrown out point to the next similar being just as worthless.
Precedents do still play a part actually.  It's generally looked down upon for a judge to disregard precedents.  Also, there is a countersue option that a defendant can use against a former plaintiff if he/she can prove that the suit was frivolous and costly.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6315|New Haven, CT
Why do people constantly demonstrate the need for a slight implementation of eugenics?
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5819

Stingray24 wrote:

"injury of feelings"
You could always actually read the article.  It was a discrimination suit.  Injury of feelings was demonstration of damage.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

"injury of feelings"
You could always actually read the article.  It was a discrimination suit.  Injury of feelings was demonstration of damage.
this was also during the interview that the hiree could not fit to the standards of the job and now is sueing bc she didn't get the job on basis of the scarf
Turquoise
O Canada

SEREMAKER wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

"injury of feelings"
this was also during the interview that the hiree could not fit to the standards of the job and now is sueing bc she didn't get the job on basis of the scarf
In short, if your scarf gets in the way of the job...  tough shit....

At least, that's how it works here.  That's how it should work in the U.K. as well, but oh well....
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5819
How does wearing a scarf get in the way of her job?

Edit:  Not that I agree it should have been successful, but there was some merit.

Last edited by ZombieVampire! (2008-06-18 20:05:23)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
Good God, the woman in the OP story was 52!!! EWWWWW!!!

The short answer: the allure of the almighty dollar is powerful. People love getting handouts that they don't deserve. It's been evidenced for decades, as I recall a Three Stooges short in which the trio attempted to scam a hotel by slipping on a bar of soap in the lobby. You can find countless examples of people who don't deserve money getting it. I recall one instance of someone getting hit by a train while walking (you've got to be somewhat stupid to be able to get hit by one on foot) and then suing the company because he/she didn't know the tracks were in use.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

ZombieVampire! wrote:

How does wearing a scarf get in the way of her job?

Edit:  Not that I agree it should have been successful, but there was some merit.
" Wedge salon owner Sarah Desrosiers requires employees to showcase different looks for clients, as her shop specializes in alternative cuts and colors. "

Shes in the business of hair
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5819
Your point?  She could just as easily cover the wall in photos.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

ZombieVampire! wrote:

If the owner requires her employees to change up looks of there hair for style and popularity then wearing a scarf doesn't fit the requirements

and she could easily look for another line of work instead of sueing
Turquoise
O Canada
I figure the law works differently in the U.K., but in my state, you can hire and fire people as you please.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5819
Can you fire people for being black?

SEREMAKER wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

If the owner requires her employees to change up looks of there hair for style and popularity then wearing a scarf doesn't fit the requirements
What if I require my employees to show cleavage?  Can I then refuse to hire men>

SEREMAKER wrote:

She chose not to.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Can you fire people for being black?

SEREMAKER wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

What if I require my employees to show cleavage?  Can I then refuse to hire men>

SEREMAKER wrote:

She chose not to.
now you're grasping for straws, comparing an article of clothing to race ....... good one

showing cleavage ---- ever seen any hooter waiters
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6122|North Tonawanda, NY

SEREMAKER wrote:

showing cleavage ---- ever seen any hooter waiters
People sued over that.

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/US/9512/hooters_eeoc/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard