Mitch
16 more years
+877|6524|South Florida
Saw this movie the day it came out, and let me tell you, the idea for this movie is very original. When i say this, im not refering to the suicide part, im talking about the reason why they kill themselves. Overall, i give this movie an 8/10.

Movie Idea: 10/10
Movie Idea put into action: 8/10
Graphics: mehhh... 8/10 (not too much CGI used)
Acting: 10/10

If you know M. Night. Shamalan (sp) you know his movies accasionally skimp on details and/or conclusions which leave you a little mad, this movie could use more detail and a better, more explained, conclusion. (Unless, maybe they plan on making "The Happening 2".

Thats my review. What did you guys think?
15 more years! 15 more years!
chittydog
less busy
+586|6834|Kubra, Damn it!

Here are my thoughts.

Movie Idea: 8/10
Graphics: 8/10
Acting - Mark Wahlberg: 3/10
Acting - everyone else: 8/10

This was Marky Mark's worst performance of his career, he's usually much better. The explanation of why everyone was killing themselves was a little out there, but he made it work so it didn't seem as silly as it should have. I think that's a talent he shares with Stephen King, they can both take something that should be laughable and make it serious or scary.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6524|South Florida

chittydog wrote:

Here are my thoughts.

Movie Idea: 8/10
Graphics: 8/10
Acting - Mark Wahlberg: 3/10
Acting - everyone else: 8/10

This was Marky Mark's worst performance of his career, he's usually much better. The explanation of why everyone was killing themselves was a little out there, but he made it work so it didn't seem as silly as it should have. I think that's a talent he shares with Stephen King, they can both take something that should be laughable and make it serious or scary.
Yeah haha, the idea is crazy and if you tried telling it to someone who hasn't seen the movie, im sure they wouldn't be very open to seeing it. The best way to watch this movie is how i did, don't read spoilers!! That way your kept in suspense the whole movie - It makes it really good!
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6131|Carnoustie, Scotland
So why did they kill themselves?!

I never go to the movies, I'll wait until this comes out on the internet on DVD, so just tell me
chittydog
less busy
+586|6834|Kubra, Damn it!

Funky_Finny wrote:

I never go to the movies, I'll wait until this comes out on the internet on DVD, so just tell me
No. It's going to sound stupid and you won't want to watch it. Even in the movie it sounds a little weak, but it works. In the end, it's no stupider than a mummy or vampire coming to get you.
Funky_Finny
Banned

chittydog wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

No. It's going to sound stupid and you won't want to watch it. Even in the movie it sounds a little weak, but it works. In the end, it's no stupider than a mummy or vampire coming to get you.
If it works fine tell me... g'wonnnnnnnnnn you know you want to.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6524|South Florida

Funky_Finny wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

No not here. If you wanna know go read spoilers somewhere else bro.
Funky_Finny
Banned

Mitch wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

chittydog wrote:

No not here. If you wanna know go read spoilers somewhere else bro.
Gutted.
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6218|Phoenix, AZ
someone pm me the reason theyre killing themselves and maybe ill check it out
Home
Section.80
+447|6846|Seattle, Washington, USA

Funky_Finny wrote:

Wikipedia->The Happening-> Plot
GodFather
+387|6218|Phoenix, AZ
Spoiler (highlight to read):
So, the plants are killing everyone with a neurotoxin???

edit: lol my bad.

Last edited by GodFather (2008-06-16 12:04:50)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

GodFather wrote:

You just fucked it with a spelling mistake.

The plants release a neurotoxin as a way to defend themselves against threats (Humans), which people start committing suicide.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
GodFather
+387|6218|Phoenix, AZ

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

GodFather wrote:

You just fucked it with a spelling mistake.

The plants release a neurotoxin as a way to defend themselves against threats (Humans), which people start committing suicide.
well, thats not... weird...

is it still worth seeing?
Mafia47
+27|6739|Chicago
Personally, I hated it. I thought it was terrible. . . But then again I compare all of his movies to The Sixth Sense and nothing else he does even comes close to that so. . .
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6644

Mafia47 wrote:

Personally, I hated it. I thought it was terrible. . . But then again I compare all of his movies to The Sixth Sense and nothing else he does even comes close to that so. . .
I was debating to weather see that or hulk I went with Hulk
Boomerjinks
+301|6794|Denver, CO
This movie was a complete bucket of suck.

"Movie Idea: 10/10" - No. Plants that suddenly, quickly, simultaneously evolve a gas toxin that makes people lose all control, pick up guns and shoot themselves? Original, yes. Good. No.
"Movie Idea put into action: 8/10" - Ooooh, scary wind! Let's get away from the plants!
"Graphics: mehhh... 8/10 (not too much CGI used)" - The gore was okay.
"Acting: 10/10" - ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Does the acting on Hannah Montana rate in at about 50,000/10 for you? Marky Mark and John Leguizamo are NOT top-notch actors. In fact, they are the harbingers of doom for the quality of any movie. Leguizamo sat down and started cutting his wrists, I was more emotionally involved with my popcorn!

I have never walked out of a movie before in my life, and I know that since I payed $8 to get in, I should at least TRY to enjoy myself no matter how bad a movie is. But this time.... geez. I was expecting M. Night Shyamalan to jump out at any moment, laugh in my face and shout "Got yer money!"

The only value this movie has is as a drinking game. Take a drink whenever someone says "happening" or when there is a supposedly scary shot of wind blowing through trees. Hopefully you won't end up drowning.
Home
Section.80
+447|6846|Seattle, Washington, USA

I thought the idea behind the movie was interesting, enjoyable, and original. However:

The acting was terrible.
The script was even worse ("Hey Jess, you're just like me! I like to hide my emotions too..." Who says that).
The movie could not keep focused on the threat at hand. I mean, coincidentally, they ran into just about every crazy, scary person on the planet. The crazy grandma lady, the people holed up in the house that Spoiler (highlight to read):
shoot the other two kids they're with and the guy who owned the green house.
Boomerjinks
+301|6794|Denver, CO

Home wrote:

the guy who owned the green house.
Hot dogs get a bad rap, they've got a great shape, great protein.

What the FUCK Shyamalan?
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6404|NSW, Australia

Boomerjinks wrote:

This movie was a complete bucket of suck.

"Movie Idea: 10/10" - No. Plants that suddenly, quickly, simultaneously evolve a gas toxin that makes people lose all control, pick up guns and shoot themselves? Original, yes. Good. No.
"Movie Idea put into action: 8/10" - Ooooh, scary wind! Let's get away from the plants!
"Graphics: mehhh... 8/10 (not too much CGI used)" - The gore was okay.
"Acting: 10/10" - ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Does the acting on Hannah Montana rate in at about 50,000/10 for you? Marky Mark and John Leguizamo are NOT top-notch actors. In fact, they are the harbingers of doom for the quality of any movie. Leguizamo sat down and started cutting his wrists, I was more emotionally involved with my popcorn!

I have never walked out of a movie before in my life, and I know that since I payed $8 to get in, I should at least TRY to enjoy myself no matter how bad a movie is. But this time.... geez. I was expecting M. Night Shyamalan to jump out at any moment, laugh in my face and shout "Got yer money!"

The only value this movie has is as a drinking game. Take a drink whenever someone says "happening" or when there is a supposedly scary shot of wind blowing through trees. Hopefully you won't end up drowning.
spolier tags dude

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard