Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

Some of you already know I make websites, some of you don't. It doesn't really matter for this post.

Now that you do know, I need help on making up a domain/website/company name for me. It involves more than 1 person, so my name is out of the question.

I have been racking my brains for over 4 months now trying to figure out a name that would suit ( and that wouldn't be taken ) and I just can't get any. So I call for you guys to help me with this. I hope you can.

Some rules

- It MUST be available in .com ( unless its a play on domain extensions, eg digitalmu.se )
  -> you can check if it is here http://checkdomain.com
- It can't be more than 2 words
- It doesn't HAVE to mean something ( web2.0 name, if you wish to call it that )
- It has to be easy to remember and type ( nothing that you can't say out loud )

I have only found 5 domains that are any good - there are reasons why I have not gone for them.
jettedia.com - ( partner did not like )
skabbler.com  - ( skabble is a popular chat system )
digitalmu.se - ( digitalmuse is a widely known name )
spritmedia.com - ( um, my partner didn't like it... )
surrealflow.com ( stumped with that one, we couldn't create a logo for it )

Some parts of names I think would be good :
*graphics
*inno
*pad
*snip
*snippet

I would be eternally grateful if you help me out. I need a name fast because I keep getting more projects yet I don't have a showcase of them anywhere.

Posted it here so I could get "intellectual" replies. Not "bestfuckingwebsiteintheworld.com" shit.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

graphicsillusion.com

snippetplease.com

innovativedgraphics.com edit: lol i stuffed that last one.

i meant

innovatedgraphics.com

which is free

Last edited by TheAussieReaper (2008-06-02 08:44:48)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651
Pelunex (Completely random lol)
(Kind of unoriginal I guess)

Is it a graphics company...maybe a little description on your goals would be good to get get us started..Just a thought.

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2008-06-02 08:48:17)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

It's NOT a graphics company. So don't focus on the "graphics" side.

Another extension to the name could be
*media

But I have to think outside the box, basic domain names are generally taken.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651
What kind of company is it? So I can maybe use that in the domain names I give you.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

systemsmedia.com

we need to know more about the proposed company website to give a more creative name unfortunately.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

What kind of company is it? So I can maybe use that in the domain names I give you.
A web design company. Web design and coding, if you have to be concise about it.

Something like this

http://www.flingmedia.com/
http://www.twospots.com/
http://www.pomdesign.com/
http://www.cite.co.uk/
etc
etc

I make websites and design them - web2.0, ecommerce, cms, blogs with PHP/xhtml/css/javascript/ajax/RoR/mysql. There isn't more I can really tell you....

Edit - better examples of what we do
http://www.bluhalo.com/
http://www.kangainternet.com/
PhaxeNor
:D
+119|6418|Norway | Unkown
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

PhaxeNor wrote:

promwebdesign.com

promwebmedia.com

2 for you
3 words. It also has "prom" in the name.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6630|IRELAND

www.(nice descriptive happy word like 'beautiful')pages.com

soz, dont have the time to think more. The somethingmedia.com has been done many times before. Something catchy yet descriptive and as short as possible. Ideally you want to sound fun, yet competent in as sort a name as you can.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

JahManRed wrote:

www.(nice descriptive happy word like 'beautiful')pages.com

soz, dont have the time to think more. The somethingmedia.com has been done many times before. Something catchy yet descriptive and as short as possible. Ideally you want to sound fun, yet competent in as sort a name as you can.
Ideally, I would want a 1 word name that is catchy, easy to remember and means nothing ( so we can work on it as much as possible ).
"pages"? I think that gives the wrong impression of a sort of site. I don't want "pages" in the domain name. It means nothing to the user and to me.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6225|Escea

wolfweb.com
or wolfmedia.com or something

I like wolves lol
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

M.O.A.B wrote:

wolfweb.com
or wolfmedia.com or something

I like wolves lol
Please, please read my post. Both are taken.

It helps if you know that the domains are free.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5935|United States
www.dollardesign.com-We'll design your website for a dollar!
www.mediadesignclub.com
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

Guys, remember that the name can mean nothing and doesn't have to have "design" "media" or whatever in it.

It could be
myvee
placero
skabbler
etc

I've been trying to think outside the box. Inside the box is just too boring.

tucker, "motif" is a good word to use, I just think that your suggestions aren't too good because you are repeating a consonant.

argo4, if I made dollar designs, I would be living in a shed right now.
As for your other suggestion, it has more than 2 words, which generally defeats the purpose of a domain name.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6622|Mhz

Well, mediasnippet.com is available and uses your suggested words, if a tad obvious.

I'll have a think of some daft words I frequently make up.

What's going on with webStrain btw?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Well, mediasnippet.com is available and uses your suggested words, if a tad obvious.

I'll have a think of some daft words I frequently make up.

What's going on with webStrain btw?
It's done and dusted. I don't care for it anymore. The guy owes me $4k, has disappeared off the face of the earth and I have no use for webstrain. I am currently using it as an excellent host for my babe pics.

Yeah, I want to break the mould from designated words. I think it just defeats the purpose of an original company. I need something fresh.

If skabble wasn't a chat system, I would have already bought skabbler.com.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6629|UK
Why don't you think of, say, 4 or 5 words that you want your site to be. Then pick the starting letter or a main letter of each of these 4 or 5 words and form an acronym.

I suppose the problem with this is that unless you add a word like media, design, web, etc after this word then you're not gonna get many search engine hits.

Just an idea. Might work, might not. I shall now proceed to think of an acronym.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

Dude. Being creative with words has NOTHING to do with creativity of websites, or of art.

You think it's so damn easy to find decent names? Really? Did you know that "coca cola" took 1 year to think up? Google probably took months. You don't understand how important the name is, do you? It's the base of everything, it's how the company will communicate, and all you can think of is "motif". Don't fucking shoot back at me like that. I have tried to find a perfect name for ages now, but it's incredibly hard when most options are taken. I am playing around with everything, but nothing suits.

All I ask for is a little help and you start insinuating that its not hard and any moron could do it.

You are the one that can't think out of the box and invent a word, instead you just use a synonym of the first word you thought up. Bravo, anybody can do that. It still doesn't mean it's a good name.

Here, take a look
http://www.dotomator.com/tips.html

No dashes wanted, it looks ugly and is more complicated to type out or say out loud.

And it would be nice if it was short. What does "teammotif" mean? Nothing, absolutely nothing. You either go with a domain which is made up of real words which suggest something to do with the site, or you break the mould and invent a word. There is no "in-between".
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6622|Mhz

Results from a random word generator:

Xilial
Artionix <- (I kinda like that one, mainly due to it having art in the name which keeps at least a vague crative meaning to it).
Rapiara
Raphiom
Tweedel <-(that made me lol for some reason )

All available as .com.

EDIT: And Tucker lay off, his design abilities are fucking amazing and webStrain although sadly now dead it seems, was VERY innovative.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-06-02 10:48:10)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6622|Mhz

tuckergustav wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Dude. Being creative with words has NOTHING to do with creativity of websites, or of art.

You think it's so damn easy to find decent names? Really? Did you know that "coca cola" took 1 year to think up? Google probably took months. You don't understand how important the name is, do you? It's the base of everything, it's how the company will communicate, and all you can think of is "motif". Don't fucking shoot back at me like that. I have tried to find a perfect name for ages now, but it's incredibly hard when most options are taken. I am playing around with everything, but nothing suits.

All I ask for is a little help and you start insinuating that its not hard and any moron could do it.

You are the one that can't think out of the box and invent a word, instead you just use a synonym of the first word you thought up. Bravo, anybody can do that. It still doesn't mean it's a good name.

Here, take a look

No dashes wanted, it looks ugly and is more complicated to type out or say out loud.

And it would be nice if it was short. What does "teammotif" mean? Nothing, absolutely nothing. You either go with a domain which is made up of real words which suggest something to do with the site, or you break the mould and invent a word. There is no "in-between".
SCREW YOU!!  You come on here and want other people to do the work for you and when someone who is actually trying to be helpful makes a suggestion you go off on them...FUCK OFF and do it yourself asshole!!
Ban hammer anyone?

And frankly any asshattery here started from your end.

Is asshattery.com available? That'd make a great site lol *goes to check*.
EDIT: It's taken I'm stunned frankly.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-06-02 10:46:40)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6396|The Gem Saloon

tuckergustav wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Here, take a look

SCREW YOU!!  You come on here and want other people to do the work for you and when someone who is actually trying to be helpful makes a suggestion you go off on them...FUCK OFF and do it yourself asshole!!
BAN!

how many company names have you come up with?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

Want? No, I asked. Politely.
Maybe a few brains are more productive than one, I think that is generally the case.

You insulted me and suggested I wasn't doing any work. The insult was incorrect and your suggestion was bullshit. I see no helpful remark in that.

I clearly explained to you how hard it was to find names; but you, of course, thought it was so damn easy. I don't want help from an unhelpful smartass like you. People like you think you know it all. Welcome to the real world - you don't. So shut up and move on. If you weren't willing to HELP me without making a remark about my creativity or my efforts, then you don't have the right to stay in this thread.

Your brain wont be missed.

TheEternalPessimist, I love tweedel. I will check out things about it.
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6383|Bromley, London

tuckergustav wrote:

How about you treat some people with respect on this forum rather than flaming them just for asking for some suggestions. ( you my friend are a cunt IMO.)

hmmm Now back on topic.  A name...... Will post when I think of a couple that are not taken.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6488|Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard