Get Windows XP32%32% - 32
Get Vista 64 bit43%43% - 42
Get vista 32 bit15%15% - 15
Windows 95 ftw!8%8% - 8
Total: 97
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6607|Kent, UK
I will be finally getting round to getting my new computer in the next week or so. The only question left on my mind is whether to get XP or Vista.

PC specs:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO 2.40GHz Quad Core CPU Overclocked too a minimum of 3.00GHz
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Intel approved cooler
- Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
- MSI P7N Platinum SLi (Socket LGA775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
- Award winning GeIL 4GB PC2-6400 CAS4 (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit (Overclocked at 800MHz+) 
- 500GB Maxtor DiamondMax 22 32MB Cache SATA-2 Hard Drive
- 2x NVIDIA 8800 GTS 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) DirectX 10 Graphics Card configured in SLI
- Samsung S203D 20x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- OCZ 600W Next Generation Power Supply

Thanks!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

XP.

It's no contest imo.

And if you don't want to pay for an OS get Linux.

edit: however, the directX10 support is vista only, and that would be the only reason you would get vista.

Last edited by TheAussieReaper (2008-06-01 02:10:56)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6440

Vista obviously.

You have a more than capable 64 bit CPU, and 4 GB memory. All you need to run Vista smoothly.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6466|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Vista, my god what a stable platform, i've never had any of the compatability problems and it sorts all the firewalls and shit out for you.

Plus you can have upto 16GB ram
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6264
Vista.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6189|Winland

Vista, that computer is more than capable of running it without any major, or minor, performance impact.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6466|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Oh and Dx10
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6373|Bromley, London

Vista. Your PC will  not notice any difference from XP and Vista.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Server 2008. (Y)
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6542|CH/BR - in UK

Shouldn't Vista Ultimate already allow you to run up to 4GB of RAM (not sure exactly how much)?
Actually, check here, it confirms what I'm saying.

Ultimate 64 Bit can support up to 128GB of RAM xD

edit: Yep, Vista supports 3.3 GB (well, actually 4, but in the end, after mapping it, that's what you're left with - XP does the same or worse)

I'd go for Vista Home Premium or Ultimate (especially if you're into poker ), as you have dx10, which is essentially what your video cards were made for, unless I'm mistaken. Vista isn't as bad as it used to be anymore. Furthermore, the security on the OS is great. I run Avast and their firewall - haven't had a problem in the year it's been running.

-konfusion

Last edited by konfusion (2008-06-01 03:56:24)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Here's what you want to do:

Get a cheap extra hard drive for your rig and install Windows XP Pro on it. Then install Vista 64 onto your main drive. When you boot up, you'll be able to choose between the two. Anything you can't get to run on vista, you can restart and run on XP.

People seem to forget the XP was the target of (not quite as much as Vista) criticism when it first came out, due to compatibility issues with older software. Vista's problem seems to be an over-implementation of bells and whistles, some of which don't even work for the user, but it'll get sorted out.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6730|The Hague, Netherlands

Vista 64bit...

with your rig not problemo.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6676|West Yorkshire, U.K

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Vista 64bit...

with your rig not problemo.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6559|NYC / Hamburg

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Vista, that computer is more than capable of running it without any major, or minor, performance impact.

TheAussieReaper wrote:

edit: however, the directX10 support is vista only, and that would be the only reason you would get vista.
/facepalm.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6485|N. Ireland
Don't dare run XP on a computer like that. Vista.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6724|St. Andrews / Oslo

Vista x64

also, nice rig
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6344|uk

Vista hands down.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6684|England
XP tbh
jaymz9350
+54|6569

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Here's what you want to do:

Get a cheap extra hard drive for your rig and install Windows XP Pro on it. Then install Vista 64 onto your main drive. When you boot up, you'll be able to choose between the two. Anything you can't get to run on vista, you can restart and run on XP.

People seem to forget the XP was the target of (not quite as much as Vista) criticism when it first came out, due to compatibility issues with older software. Vista's problem seems to be an over-implementation of bells and whistles, some of which don't even work for the user, but it'll get sorted out.
that's  what I did (except i just used 2 partitions) and found really quickly that I personally had no compatibility issues and never used xp, so i just deleted it's partition and stretched vistas partition to fill the drive.
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6607|Kent, UK
Thanks for the advice guys!
Looking like vista 64 then....
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6445|The Twilight Zone

Fosterthelegend wrote:

Just don't come moaning here when nothing works in Vista. Plz.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
jaymz9350
+54|6569

.Sup wrote:

Fosterthelegend wrote:

wow i didn't realize nothing works in vista.   I wonder how my pc works then.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6445|The Twilight Zone

jaymz9350 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Fosterthelegend wrote:

wow i didn't realize nothing works in vista.   I wonder how my pc works then.
Mine worked too, then it died.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6406|Finland

Getting XP for new multi-GPU rig would be insane.

I have used Vista for 9 months now without any problems. Actually the Radeon graphics cards work faster with Vista SP1.

Vista x64 is the way to go with that hardware.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2008-06-01 08:32:27)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

As 90% of the forum has said, get Vista (64bit obviously). Just built my brothers PC and bunged Home Premium 64bit on there and I was pleasantly impressed (it chewing up 1.2GB of RAM from start up concerned me slightly but his rig has 4GB in so it matters not).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard