Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
Yeah Finray... and my top-spec gaming PC, Sony Vaio Windows laptop and countless other non-Mac accessories. Nice one, kid.

u dun rel funny with teh internet meme!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

Freezer7Pro wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

.Sup wrote:

@Freezer with shipping and customs around 470€ (620USD)

@Hooch the cans are HD600 (300 ohm) so an amp is a must
What's the deal with impedance?  I see it, but I don't comprehend.
Impendance is basically resistance. How much current something will let through at a specific Voltage. As you might know, Ohm's law/the power law states that P(Watts)=U(Voltage)*I(Current) and I=U/R(Resistance).

If you have a 8-Ohm speaker rated for 50 Watts, you will need an amplifier capable of outputting 20 Volts to reach maximum excursion. If you have another speaker rated 50 Watts, but at 16Ohm, you only get 25 Watts from that amplifier. You need a bit over 28 Volts to get 50W out of that one. 32Ohm, 40V. 64Ohm, 57V.

In the case of headphones, you need 1.26V to run a pair of 100mW/16Ohm phones. You need 5.47V to run a pair of 100mW 300Ohm ones.
So, how much Voltage are you able to draw from something like a PC or an iPod?

This question could be totally... wrong. Excuse me if that is the case
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6199|Winland

Jenspm wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Impendance is basically resistance. How much current something will let through at a specific Voltage. As you might know, Ohm's law/the power law states that P(Watts)=U(Voltage)*I(Current) and I=U/R(Resistance).

If you have a 8-Ohm speaker rated for 50 Watts, you will need an amplifier capable of outputting 20 Volts to reach maximum excursion. If you have another speaker rated 50 Watts, but at 16Ohm, you only get 25 Watts from that amplifier. You need a bit over 28 Volts to get 50W out of that one. 32Ohm, 40V. 64Ohm, 57V.

In the case of headphones, you need 1.26V to run a pair of 100mW/16Ohm phones. You need 5.47V to run a pair of 100mW 300Ohm ones.

Find out how powerful the DAC is and do the math.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
PyteWowah
Banned
+6|5499

Uzique wrote:

Yeah Finray... and my top-spec gaming PC, Sony Vaio Windows laptop and countless other non-Mac accessories. Nice one, kid.

u dun rel funny with teh internet meme!
finray's like, the worst troll ever
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6209

Jenspm wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

Amplifiers dont output volts they output amps. They convert DC to AC. IF an amp outputs DC it will fry the speaker and most likely the output FETS on the amplifer itself.
PyteWowah
Banned
+6|5499

twoblacklines wrote:

Amplifiers dont output volts they output amps.
wat

electronics fail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity <-- read plz

Last edited by PyteWowah (2009-04-09 07:25:30)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
@Hooch I went with 600s because I didn't want too much bass (650s have more bass). Vocals sound fantastic so its really good for classical music, Cuban (jizzed), Chill out and Jazz. Those genres i find to sound best on them. They aren't completely burnt-in yet so I can't say for sure, maybe rock will sound good after some period of additional burning-in.

@uzi I wanted a tube/valve amp cos with different tubes sound can change if I don't like it as it is and it gives a much warmer sound. I'd love to see some pics of your setup.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
.Sup
be nice

twoblacklines wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

They convert DC to AC.
I don't get this part. I'm not into electronics that much but isn't AC one way of power input and DC a different way? Some components have AC in, some have DC and PSU circuitry varies with it also.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

.Sup wrote:

@uzi I wanted a tube/valve amp cos with different tubes sound can change if I don't like it as it is and it gives a much warmer sound. I'd love to see some pics of your setup.
Yep, changing the brand and tech-spec/quality of the tubes in my guitar amplifier can really alter the chiminess of the tone and the 'warmth' of the lows and trebles. It definitely is a far better sound when you take the analogue way, I'll never trade in my tube-amp for some solid-state digital emulation crap anymore-- even if the tube maintenance and the extra voltages are a hassle.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
.Sup
be nice

Uzique wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Yep, changing the brand and tech-spec/quality of the tubes in my guitar amplifier can really alter the chiminess of the tone and the 'warmth' of the lows and trebles. It definitely is a far better sound when you take the analogue way, I'll never trade in my tube-amp for some solid-state digital emulation crap anymore-- even if the tube maintenance and the extra voltages are a hassle.
I'll ask you for some tips when I start tube rolling if you won't mind
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

twoblacklines wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Amplifiers dont output volts they output amps. They convert DC to AC. IF an amp outputs DC it will fry the speaker and most likely the output FETS on the amplifer itself.
Simply put: You are wrong.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
gnot<3
Leave blank to use forum default.
+45|5556
took ups 5 days to deliver it, but well worth the wait

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/gnotleo/4076.jpg

Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

This question could be totally... wrong. Excuse me if that is the case :P
easier said then done, heh.

I think I found that the 3rd gen iPods have a DAC capable of outputting 3.3V... Sounds about right?

The Shure SE530's have a sensitivity at 119mW and impedence at 36Ohm.

so,
U2=PR
U2=119mW * 36Ohm
U=2.1V

well under the iPod's rating. Why would people then buy/build portable "pocket-amps" to use with these earbuds and an iPod?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

Physics belongs to everything else. Please continue there if you want to.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-04-09 14:54:24)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6237|Texas
https://www.swotti.com/tmp/swotti/cacheDDI0MGHK/imgT240hd2.jpg
Samsung ToC 24" 1080P Full HD
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

Jenspm wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

I think I found that the 3rd gen iPods have a DAC capable of outputting 3.3V... Sounds about right?

so,
U2=PR
U2=119mW * 36Ohm
U=2.1V

well under the iPod's rating. Why would people then buy/build portable "pocket-amps" to use with these earbuds and an iPod?
I know that the current-gen iPod DAC is 2x15mW. You don't get 120mW from any portable player on the market. The most powerful ones are at about 2x50mW.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-04-09 15:02:43)

.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

so,
U2=PR
U2=119mW * 36Ohm
U=2.1V

I know that the current-gen iPod DAC is 2x15mW. You don't get 120mW from any portable player on the market. The most powerful ones are at about 2x50mW.
Are you talking about DAC or amp?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

so,
U2=PR
U2=119mW * 36Ohm
U=2.1V

Portable players tend to have the DAC and amplifier combined into one chip.
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Yeah but its still not the same. DAC cannot output power
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

A DAC can and does output power. It's it's sole purpose. It makes digital signals into analogue signals. If you beef up the analogue part, you get a small amplifier.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

PS. to who ever karma'd me. I see over a page off topic. Its not over sensitiive to point out the fact I don't like OT.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

A DAC can and does output power. It's it's sole purpose. It makes digital signals into analogue signals. If you beef up the analogue part, you get a small amplifier.
The sole purpose of Digital to analog converter is just what its initials say. DAC does not output any power, thats why we use amps. What DAC does output is not power but signal. Every signal needs to get amplified if you want to hear sound and standalone DACs don't have amplifiers hence no volume knob on any of them.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6199|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

The sole purpose of Digital to analog converter is just what its initials say. DAC does not output any power, thats why we use amps. What DAC does output is not power but signal. Every signal needs to get amplified if you want to hear sound and standalone DACs don't have amplifiers hence no volume knob on any of them.
Analogue audio "signal" is the same as what you get out of the amplifier, just weaker. There are single-chip DACs with a powerful-enough output to drive a pair of headphones.

Normal headphones don't need a lot of power to run. You can plug an amplifier into an MP3 player without turning the volume to the bottom.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-04-09 15:22:53)

.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Analogue audio "signal" is the same as what you get out of the amplifier, just weaker. There are single-chip DACs with a powerful-enough output to drive a pair of headphones.

Normal headphones don't need a lot of power to run. You can plug an amplifier into an MP3 player without turning the volume to the bottom.
If I understand you correctly plugging headphones into Passive RCA out will power them? Is that what you are saying?
Brasso
+1,549|6632

who cares guys?  come on, you can make another thread for this.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard