Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6731|Toronto | Canada

seems pretty good to me. i recharge the mouse once every 2 weeks so i figure itll be no more than overnight once a week with this. i considered the wireless solar one but it wasnt backlit
Benzin
+576|5990
Purchased this sexy piece of equipment today - a Thinkpad X230.

Processor: Intel Core i5-3320M, 2×2.60GHz
HDD: 500 GB (7.200 RPM)
RAM: 4 GB (max. 16 GB)
Display: 12.5”, Premium (IPS), 1366×768, matt, LED-Backlight
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Ports: 2× USB 3.0, 1× USB 2.0 (powered), VGA, Mini DisplayPort, Ethernet, ExpressCard/54
Backlit Keyboard
Battery: 9-Cell (94 Wh, equal to 15.5 hours as advertised by Lenovo)
Weight: 1.7kg
Guarantee: 3-year next-day on-site
Price: € 979 via the university

https://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/X230_hero_03.jpg

Also added an Ericsson WWAN UMTS modem to it. All told, the price comes to €1,078 shipped to my door (or anywhere I want since they call me and ask me exactly when and where it is to be delivered). If I had bought it all via Lenovo directly, it would have cost me €1,433.16 and that's without shipping - a savings of €355.16. Booyah!

Last edited by CapnNismo (2012-09-24 07:45:03)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6659

Got my two iPhone 5's before the Foxconn riots.

/going to hell.
Benzin
+576|5990
https://i.imgur.com/RQWXx.jpg

It arrived today! Down from 1-2 week delivery time to 48 hours!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
i'm impressed at how committed lenovo are to making all of their shit look aesthetically absolutely terrible.

it's like it only appeals to the male tech geek niche.
Benzin
+576|5990

aynrandroolz wrote:

i'm impressed at how committed lenovo are to making all of their shit look aesthetically absolutely terrible.

Considering that the Thinkpad line is marketed primarily to enterprise customers, looks aren't much of a factor. I like the look, though. It's simple, utilitarian. It's a tool, not a fashion statement.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Lenovo and Dell are the only laptops I recommend to anybody, everything else is shit from my experience
Benzin
+576|5990

_j5689_ wrote:

Lenovo and Dell are the only laptops I recommend to anybody, everything else is shit from my experience
That being said, you can only recommend Lenovo Thinkpads.

I quite like HPs, though. My girlfriend has a normal Pavilion laptop and the only issue we've had with it is the HDD died on her within the first six months but that can happen with any laptop. I also have an Elitebook that was issued to me because of my job and I can't complain about it at all (except the touchpad/HP's trackpoint button placement, but I think this is more a question of taste).
Brasso
+1,549|6622

bought dis bitch a week ago

astounding airflow
fucking massive
great cable management compared to my old antec 900
HDDs and optical drives are really easy to pop in (tool-less installation)
can turn front fan LED on/off
there is a sliding cover that makes sure your dumbass friends don't press the off/reset button by accident
all sorts of neat air ducts that unfortunately won't work with my ghetto-ass modded Thermalright T-Rad2 (two 120mm fans jerry-rigged to it using paper clips); i am sure they would be quite nice if i had stock GPU coolers
dust filters

Last edited by Brasso (2012-09-26 10:54:42)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Benzin
+576|5990
A friend of mine has the same case, he loves it, too. Good buy!
Brasso
+1,549|6622

CapnNismo wrote:

thanks man. i got it refurb from CM, so i got a decent amount off it (~$30). only thing is that for some retarded reason, they slapped a >21 y.o. signature required label on the package. so even though i bought the case, i couldn't sign for it. luckily my roommate turned 21 this past weekend, but i still had to hold it at the UPS distribution center for a week. absolutely ridiculous.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England
I have the original, and it is amazing. Great airflow and SO much room.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6659

Yeah.  Sweet cases.  My main gaming rig is on a HAF 932.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

Brasso wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

thanks man. i got it refurb from CM, so i got a decent amount off it (~$30). only thing is that for some retarded reason, they slapped a >21 y.o. signature required label on the package. so even though i bought the case, i couldn't sign for it. luckily my roommate turned 21 this past weekend, but i still had to hold it at the UPS distribution center for a week. absolutely ridiculous.
I hate how everything is rapidly becoming a 21+ thing here instead of just 18+, pretty soon you'll probably be able to get drafted at 18 and then have to wait for all the benefits until you're 21 like tobacco and marriage and whatnot
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

CapnNismo wrote:

aynrandroolz wrote:

Considering that the Thinkpad line is marketed primarily to enterprise customers, looks aren't much of a factor. I like the look, though. It's simple, utilitarian. It's a tool, not a fashion statement.
I don't like the look and feel of my T400 at all.  I think the mouse nipple is stupid, and the touch pad location means sometimes when I try to use the mouse nipple I end up putting my palm on the touch pad which results in some funky response issues between the two.  Also, the touchpad has limited functionality.  I much prefer the macbook approach with the ability to use multiple fingers to scroll and go back
Benzin
+576|5990
My X230 has two finger scroll. Hell, the original EEE PCs all had multitouch that worked great and it was well before Apple released theirs.

In the Thinkpad BIOS you can disable the touchpad, though. I don't like having a touchpad on older (or any for that matter) ThinkPads - they're too small and the ThinkPoint is brilliant once you set it up. I've been using the ThinkPoint on my X230 relentlessly - but the proportions are better here than on larger ThinkPads. My Elitebook has it's own take on ThinkPoint and its good, but the original is soooo much better.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6315|Graz, Austria

Brasso wrote:

there is a sliding cover that makes sure your dumbass friends don't press the off/reset button by accident
Nothing that a coin and a piece of tape can't solve.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

CapnNismo wrote:

My X230 has two finger scroll. Hell, the original EEE PCs all had multitouch that worked great and it was well before Apple released theirs.

In the Thinkpad BIOS you can disable the touchpad, though. I don't like having a touchpad on older (or any for that matter) ThinkPads - they're too small and the ThinkPoint is brilliant once you set it up. I've been using the ThinkPoint on my X230 relentlessly - but the proportions are better here than on larger ThinkPads. My Elitebook has it's own take on ThinkPoint and its good, but the original is soooo much better.
How come they don't use the 2 finger scroll on my T400? Or is that something I can enable?

If I'm using my laptop for office heavy tasks I just attach a mouse. That's how much I hate the nipple
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6731|Toronto | Canada

http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/

makes it function basically exactly like any apple trackpad
Benzin
+576|5990
Not entirely sure why it doesn't work on your T400. But then again the T400 is a few years old...
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6559|NYC / Hamburg

CapnNismo wrote:

Not entirely sure why it doesn't work on your T400. But then again the T400 is a few years old...
if the T400 is anything like the R500 touchpad it doesn't support multitouch.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Benzin
+576|5990
http://www.alternate.at/html/product/Mu … t/969859/?

Mushkin DDR3-1600 8GB SO-DIMM kit. Selling the single stick of 4GB I have in my X230 for €25 and getting the 8GB kit for €45 shipped. Costing me essentially €20 for 8GB of RAM - I love it.
Benzin
+576|5990
https://i.imgur.com/zt5hc.jpg

Sells on Amazon for €200, jeweler wanted €179 and I got it for €150 after some negotiation. Bam!

Also http://geizhals.at/629487?v=l Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4960|Dundee, Scotland.

CapnNismo wrote:

Sells on Amazon for €200, jeweler wanted €179 and I got it for €150 after some negotiation. Bam!

Silly dave. That's not technology!
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

Camm wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Silly dave. That's not technology!
what do you mean Camm, not technology?

https://i.imgur.com/zVcWJ.jpg

what if he needed the time on a cloudy day or at night?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard