joker8baller
+68|6666
Yeah. Graduating soon, and my family is getting me a Macbook Pro to replace my Toshiba Satellite A100.

Question: Will the new Macbook Pro's equipped with Montevina be worth waiting for? If not my family plans to pick it up soon, but if it's worth it to wait, then they'll pick it up it whenever it comes out.

I know it's been delayed to July 14th (? ish), will that also include the launch date for the new Macbook Pro's with the Montevina chip, or will it take some time to incorporate? Need it before September 20th.

Thanks.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6684|West Yorkshire, U.K
Seriously, dont get a mac unless its for graphics design. Save your 'rents some cash

inb4macssuck
Shadow893
lel
+75|6692|England
macssuck

buy a dell or something. srsly
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

Shadow893 wrote:

macssuck

buy a dell or something. srsly
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
I have read quite a few good things on them...one of the main things being that they are a lot cooler than the current Core line. It's hard to tell - there is a keynote on June 9 but I think this will just be for the iPhone 3G release. I'd say wait until at least after this keynote to make sure you don't lose out!
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6722|Oregon
macs are just as good as pcs. jeezus, every "im buyin a mac" thread turns into a "IF YOU GET A MAC THE COMPUTER GODS WILL SMITE YOU!!!" thread. i would much rather have a macbook pro for school situations than a dell.  a lot of the software i needed only ran on mac.

honestly, i think its worth waiting. especially if you dont start school till september.

Last edited by [TUF]Whiskey_Oktober (2008-05-29 18:14:10)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober wrote:

macs are just as good as pcs. jeezus, every "im buyin a mac" thread turns into a "IF YOU GET A MAC THE COMPUTER GODS WILL SMITE YOU!!!" thread. i would much rather have a macbook pro for school situations than a dell.  a lot of the software i needed only ran on mac.

honestly, i think its worth waiting. especially if you dont start school till september.
Curious, not trying to throw this offtopic or into a flamefest, but what software exactly was it that apparently only runs on a Mac? FCP is pretty much the only software out there that it's worth owning a Mac for. And even then there are several Mac and PC programs that work just as well unless you're professionally editing movies.
joker8baller
+68|6666

Kurazoo wrote:

Seriously, dont get a mac unless its for graphics design. Save your 'rents some cash

inb4macssuck
Want a Mac after my 17 years of PC usage. And yes, I will be using it for graphics/video design.

Hate Dell's. Horribly. IMO, they're one of the worst computers ever made.

Yeah, dunno kyle. With the release delayed, I don't think they'll be any discussion about them at the conference.

Thanks for the help so far.
Smithereener
+138|6315|California
Depends, some people see it as a worthy improvement, others are just "meh."

I believe Montevina will be the newest generation of the Centrino line - codenamed Centrino 2. I believe the biggest things with Montevina is the support for DDR3 RAM, improved Wifi, and WiMax (which has lost some momentum). One of the bigger things for me though, is the increase in battery life due to more efficient power consumption. Probably won't be much (as in, extra hour of battery life), but whatever.

Unfortunately, Intel has delayed Montevina to early August I believe (Previous launch date was sometime in July). Although it was already doubtful that Apple will release any details as of yet, the iPhone is it's biggest priority and I believe I saw something about the Mac Pro also, the delay makes it even more unlikely that we will have any information on a MBP refresh anytime soon. Most likely though, Montevina will be out by the back-to-school season, although I don't know if it'll be widespread. I believe that there are also some rumours of a redesign of the MBP, it's been using the current design for quite some time apparently.

So basically just follow the best piece of advice when buying technology - wait as long as you can but buy when you need it. No point in waiting for the next best thing since something is always right around the corner, but you'll still want the latest technology that you can get. There is a chance that the MBP will be refreshed before 9/20, but don't bet your life on it. However, Apple is generally quick in embracing new technology in notebooks, especially for their "professional" line, so it's likely.

Regarding the Mac vs PC shitfest:
Don't disregard Dell, they've gotten a lot better. In fact, their XPS 1530 is actually a very nice notebook, comparable with the MBP.

However, at the same time, MBPs are one of the few items I do like from Apple. Very slim, fairly lightweight, excellent battery life (for a 15.4" notebook), appealing aesthetics, standard LED screen, backlit keyboard, and decent graphics card. OS X along with the new touchpad (where you can do gestures and stuff) are also pretty nice. Didn't expect to like OS X much after having Windows for so long, and it was really quite refreshing and interesting when I played around with it. Of course, you dont have a large library of games to choose from, but that's why there is Boot Camp. Still, reconsider all of your options, unless you're completely set on having a MBP. (Just hope you don't get a lemon )
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6549|UK

I'd say yes.  Mac does give you that added flexibility in that you can run any major OS on it (XP/Vista/linux) via boot camp.  If you find your self in a situation you need Vista, you can switch to that OS.  You cant do the reverse of that (OS X on a PC/laptop).

Martyn
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

Bell wrote:

I'd say yes.  Mac does give you that added flexibility in that you can run any major OS on it (XP/Vista/linux) via boot camp.  If you find your self in a situation you need Vista, you can switch to that OS.  You cant do the reverse of that (OS X on a PC/laptop).

Martyn
yes you can
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6670|The Netherlands

max wrote:

Bell wrote:

Martyn
yes you can
Indeed, I'm actually doing that right now. (OS X with AMD)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard