Cops good or Bad .. ? in your Town or Every where Etc

Cops are Corrupt25%25% - 11
Cops are Good74%74% - 32
Total: 43
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839
section9   States

" the last good cop to come out of new york was named serpico.

cops are corrupt and they know it.

Your living in a Dreamland, Wake  up !

my age is older then you and BTW "

Horseman 77   Replies

" NYC is Dream land? where are you from ?

where I live in NYC

they dont really bust your balls.

they work hard

Its a fairly dangerous job

A fairly low paying job.

The only cool thing about being a cop in NYC is you get to park all F#*ked up and get away with it.

and you gotta be pretty fucked up for them to even notice you.

Yet when you call them they come,

What  more do you want?

You didnt leave age etc,, I wonder why? "
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)
If they arrest me - they're bad.
If they arrest other people - they're good.

Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6712|Sweden
They've got awsome weapons and stuff
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

the ones I know are decent people. generalizations won't help here.
CreepingDeath
+1|6746
I have a 2 bro inlaws along with 2  sisters that are police officers . . One bro inlaw was officer of the year in his department. I can honestly say they are honest hard working people. . But I have heard them discuss corruption in thier deptarments . .But maybe thats why my youngest sister it trying to become a IA .
   It just depends on the person and what they do. I do watch cops almost everynight and i do noticed they do kind of over react always ruffing up a person un needed. This is wrong.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6773|Atlanta, GA USA
There should have been a third option:
Some of both
I have come in contact with some good cops, but I have also heard stories of cops beating the shit out of people for no reason.  Some cops strive to do good for the community, while others just do it because they can push people around.
CreepingDeath
+1|6746
LOL . ..  I always have said cops are the geeks in school that had gotten beaten up all during school .. Now they can give back a little that was dished to them ..Knowning if someone hits them back they just get into even more trouble then what they started out at.
   Or they where bullies in school that doesnt know anything more then just haven to bully people around.
2ndLt.Tucker
If you can read this, your already dead
+33|6684|Stillwater, Ok
Depends where you live...In Rockwall, Texas a small town east of Dallas the cops were mostly arragont unjust pricks.  When i was 17 they pulled me over for 2 over and then searched my car. They didn't find anything but gave me a verbal lashing "You need to slow it down".  Like 47 in a 45 is speeding i mean damn.  They usually try to pick on teenagers just for the fun of it.  All my friends got pulled over for bullshit like that, there was one where my friend was smoking a cigarette and he got pulled over for "smoking weed" searched his car as well.
  The fun part came about a year ago for me when i just got back from deployment. I was 19 then and in uniform, they tried some similar shit and wanted to search my car again.  I got pissed and told him "You better name the probable cause right now or i'm turning you in for unlawful search and seizure." He let me go then.  There are definately corrupt cops but where i live now in Tulsa, OK they are good there.  I get away with speeding all the time cause im military....and i work with most the cops. LOL isn't life grand.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6698|NJ
The reason cops are corrupt, and all cops even the good ones. They're taught that they are not civilians, which makes them different then everybody, gives them a god complex.

As 2ndlt.tucker stated he was going 2 miles over the speed limit which is technically speading and he could have received a ticket for it. Ticket cost probably 25 dollar, insurance sercharges 250 dollars, and increase in insurance 200 dollars.  Now because this cop was upholding the law and did give the ticket he is now classified a "good cop". Now tucker is in the military and probably doesn't get paid alot of money so he can't afford to buy food for himself and his family or can't afford to pay the ticket. So he goes to court and explains the situation. The judge has a bad day cause he's human the same as me and you and inforces the ticket. Tucker doesn't have the money at the time and can't get it, ends up getting locked up in jail.

Etc. etc. now this is very exagerated but I think everone gets my point on this.  As far as protect and serve it's bull shit, Majority of situations cops escalate not solve problems.
2ndLt.Tucker
If you can read this, your already dead
+33|6684|Stillwater, Ok
Lol well he didn't give me the ticket in the first place. And 2 miles over is easily able to be a mistake on the radars part since depending on the angle can change.  As for the insurance it has to be 9 over for rates to increase. Atleast for mine.
cpt.fass1
+329|6698|NJ
Oh I live in jersey if someone crashes into your car and your not in it your insurance increases.

P.S. I was pushing a point but going wayyyyy out there
Echo
WOoKie
+383|6722|The Netherlands
Most cops over here are okay. I know a couple of em and they are decent ppl.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6791|Singapore

Uhh... Cops Kick Ass.

DocZ
+13|6690|Belgium
lets just say cops here couldn't even catch a cold....

despite that, there not crooked, just a joke.... chief Wiggum lives here for real....

Last edited by DocZ (2006-01-13 07:54:11)

Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6815
They point flashlights in Greenie's face
cpt.fass1
+329|6698|NJ
Man it sounds like cops aren't really a threat to other countries then in the U.S. they're pricks around here.  They have quota's of how many tickets they need to write, I've heard stories how they get rewards for being top producers. So obviosly when being rewarded to get "badies" I'm sure they make their own.
Cpl_5811
+0|6718

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Man it sounds like cops aren't really a threat to other countries then in the U.S. they're pricks around here.  They have quota's of how many tickets they need to write, I've heard stories how they get rewards for being top producers. So obviosly when being rewarded to get "badies" I'm sure they make their own.
you are hearing"stories" huh?  This is the lead up to every rumor I have ever heard!

Did you ever think that since their job is to enforce their city, county, state and federal laws, that maybe if they did not write tickets to the people violating the laws then there would be no proof that they were doing their jobs and get terminated?  I mean really if you were not producing for whatever fast food job you have, they would let you go and you would have to find another place to flip burgers.  A simple solution to ease harassment from the cops................DO NOT DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL!

there are some bad ones and yes they give the majority a bad name, but not all of them are the bad one.

Last edited by Cpl_5811 (2006-01-13 11:42:12)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6839
A ticket? Really?  You must have felt violated huh ?

Drive and  Park right, have car inspected, Insurance,  the End.

The last ticket I got was on I-95 doing about 90mph. Everyone else was doing 85mph and I was passing them.

It cost me $500 plus $600 for a lawyer and I had it coming.

Before that I got a 30 in a 20mph zone. As I had been going 135 to 140mph just a few minutes earlier,
I didnt feel persecuted.

dosnt anyone have any real good Stories ?

Honest officer my friend " gave " me this car.     He " GAVE it to me."  Thats why I dont have the Registration.

That aint my gat.....
cpt.fass1
+329|6698|NJ
Well "stories" are a way of saying that they were told to me from a police officer friend I have.  And yes if I did flip burgers and didn't sell them I would get terminated, so I'd probably go out and try to get some customers to come into my store which is my point excatly. If I wanted to be the best cop out there I would write tickets like a mad man.

One perfect example of what I mean is my first speeding ticket ever. I was in a town know as Chester driving home from work at UPS at 3 o'clock in the morning(oh I do have a collage education thank you) and I was doing the speed limit which was 35. And when I saw the speed limit sign of 45 about 35 feet, I steped on the gas and accelorated to the 45. Then I see the cherries in my rear view and pull over low and behold I get a ticked for going 10 miles over the speed limit.  I'm very polite when getting pulled over because I know it's one of the only things to get you out of a ticket, and he advised me that it's 45 when you get past the sign. So seeing how the ticket was already writing and there was no way out of the ticket I asked him how I was suppose to know that and that he had to be kidding me. I swear I was pulled over past the sign and only accelated when I saw it.
Just a point of not doing anyting Illegal, and how you can get screwed even folling the law.

Well I'm off today I got a promotion and get to work the french fri burner so I'm very excited.
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6700
I really have mixed feelings, in my town yeah they're good but my town is pretty small and basic. In other towns there's videos of brutality and all of that.
Rosse_modest
+76|6778|Antwerp, Flanders
Of course they're good!
My father's a cop, my uncle's a cop and my grandfather was one. Kind of like the family business. Would have liked to become one myself, but I would fail the psychological tests so...
Papa Smurf 314
Right in the Smurfin' parking lot?
+90|6772|New York
Well, do you mean uniformed cops, or detectives? Because my father has been on the job for about 20 years, and he's in SVU for Brooklyn. We live in Staten Island, and cops usually never do anything, but they sometimes go around searching groups of over 5 people... They consider that a "gang". lol

so my vote is no, not all of them are corrupt, or bad. My dad sure as hell isnt bad, he helps children that are abused by their parents. My dad has yet to fire a shot from his gun.
stalker23
+0|6684|Texas
This is an interesting topic.  I am a "cop" as it is referred to in this forum.  I generally like the term "peace officer" but I guess that is apples and oranges at this point.

First a small bio:  I served in the ARMY for 8 years and deployed to Bosnia, Kosovo, Kuwait and Afghanistan.  I now work as a Sheriff Deputy in Texas.  I can think of nothing more honorable and rewarding than serving my country and the community I now live in. 

Since I am exposing myself to this forum I guess I should at least give you all my opinion, even though it could be construed as biased. 

The agency I work for prides itself on customer service.  The same guy that gave you a ticket for speeding is the same guy that will drag your speeding butt out of the burning car when you crash!  Yes I have met some arrogant peace officers however I have seen those same arrogant officers saves lives and put themselves in harms way for complete strangers.  Why, because that is what “cops” do.

As far as quotas are concerned I hear this all the time.  Each Department is different and I can only speak for Texas. Most agencies only see a very small percentage of citations they write.  The rest is distributed to the State for disbursement to the General Revenue Fund and a variety of State Trust Funds and programs, such as: Child Welfare Training, Juvenile Justice and the Additional Court Cost Clearing Trust Fund. The percentage of money received from traffic tickets to be applied to each of the various funds is established by the Legislature. So basically it is of no benefit for a department to write tickets for monetary reasons.

The old saying it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole tree holds true for law enforcement agencies.  It is not a perfect system however without peace officers who would protect you from those that have no morals.  Take a look at recent situations with the flooding incident.  When a society that does not have any morals believes there are no “cops” around they take everything that is not glued down, assault and rape the innocent and trash the whole city.  Now I do not believe the whole country has the same outlook as the area in discussion however it does make one think what the world would be like with no cops. 

So in short don’t judge all cops by the few bad apples.  Most pride themselves with helping the community they serve and 99% of them would put their lives on the line for you or me if and when the situation calls for it.  I have seen it first hand.  And the pay, well let’s just say you have to want to be a cop.  Most cops I know work two or three side jobs just to make ends meet.  So why do they do it?  Because of the love for the job.

DISSCLAMIER:  for all you lawyers, the statements and views in this message are purely my opinion and do not reflect the policy of any law enforcement agency. 

PS.  I love this game!  What a way to relieve some stress.  Although sometimes it creates more stress than I have ever known 
Tushers
Noctwisaskfirtush
+224|6687|Some where huntin in Wisconsin
most of em r good but some r butt holes like officer webber
section9
+9|6849|USA
Police Corruption is defined as the abuse of police authority for personal or organizational gain. This comes in many shapes and sizes, from the major drug trafficking and money laundering to looking the other way on minor everyday violations of the law.  Ever since the concept of rules and regulation came about there have been certain people who were chosen to enforce those regulations. Some of those law enforcement personnel have been persuaded to look the other way on certain violations committed by their friends or family. Payments for these inconsistencies could come in the way of personal favors, bribes, or gratuities.  Other corruption activities involve more serious crimes such as brutality, drugs, and framing of suspects (Schmalleger, 2003, pp. 227-229).

Police corruption is a complex phenomenon, which does not readily submit to simple analysis. It is a problem that has and will continue to affect us all, whether we are civilians or law enforcement officers. Since its beginnings, may aspects of policing have changed; however, one aspect that has remained relatively unchanged is the existence of corruption. An examination of a local newspaper or any police-related publication on any given day will have an article about a police officer that got busted committing some kind of corrupt act. Police corruption has increased dramatically with the illegal cocaine trade, with officers acting alone or in-groups to steal money from dealers or distribute cocaine themselves. Large groups of corrupt police have been caught in New York, New Orleans, Washington, DC, and Los Angeles.

Corruption can be broken down into two sections, internal and external corruption. Internal corruption is the illegal acts and agreements within a police department by more than one of the officers. External corruption is the illegal acts and agreements with the public by one or more officers in a department. For a corrupt act to occur, three distinct elements of police corruption must be present simultaneously: 1) misuse of authority, 2) misuse of official capacity, and 3) misuse of personal attainment. It can be said that power inevitably tends to corrupt, and it is yet to be recognized that, while there is no reason to suppose that policemen as individuals are any less fallible than other members of society, people are often shocked and outraged when policemen are exposed violating the law. The reason is simple. There deviance elicits a special feeling of betrayal. Most studies support the view that corruption is endemic, if not universal, in police departments. The danger of corruption for police, and this is that it may invert the formal goals of the organization and may lead to "the use of organizational power to encourage and create crime rather than to deter it. General police deviance can include brutality, discrimination, sexual harassment, intimidation, and illicit use of weapons. However it is not particularly obvious where brutality, discrimination, and misconduct end and corruption begin. The external corruption generally consists of one ore more of the following activities:

1) Payoffs to police by essentially non-criminal elements who fail to comply with stringent statutes or city ordinances; (for example, individuals who repeatedly violate traffic laws).

2) Payoffs to police by individuals who continually violate the law as a method of making money (for example, prostitutes, narcotics addicts and pushers, & professional burglars).

3) "Clean Graft" where money is paid to police for services, or where courtesy discounts are given as a matter of course to the police.

Police officers have been involved in activities such as extortion of money and/or narcotics from narcotics violators in order to avoid arrest; they have accepted bribes; they have sold narcotics. They have known of narcotics have entered into personal associations with narcotics criminals and in some cases have used narcotics. They have given false testimony in court in order to obtain dismissal of the charges against a defendant. A scandal is perceived both as a socially constructed phenomenon and as an agent of change that can lead to realignments in the structure of power within organizations. New York, for instance, has had more than a half dozen major scandals concerning its police department within a century. It was the Knapp Commission in 1972 that first brought attention to the NYPD when they released the results of over 2 years of investigations of alleged corruption.

Last edited by section9 (2006-01-23 14:17:16)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard