TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6446|Brisbane, Australia

Hate to say it, but surely people expect their houses to get destroyed if they live in tornado alley? (I know OP isnt/not in the middle).

I still feel bad for these poor people with no house left, but...dur?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
chittydog
less busy
+586|6841|Kubra, Damn it!

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

Hate to say it, but surely people expect their houses to get destroyed if they live in tornado alley? (I know OP isnt/not in the middle).

I still feel bad for these poor people with no house left, but...dur?
I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and it's definitely tornado prone. We get a couple each year, sometimes more. Considering that, in the 17 years since I moved here, I know less than five people who've had tornado damage that was worse than a broken window or a few planks of their fence knocked out. There are approximately 4 million in the area.

With the chances of your house getting tornado damage < .1%, who's going to double the price of their house just to reinforce it?
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6648|Minnesota
With the chances of your house getting tornado damage < .1%, who's going to double the price of their house just to reinforce it?
good point but using plywood instead of builtrite without a huge difference in cost could save your house depending on the power of the tornado.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6577|USA

viper313 wrote:

good point but using plywood instead of builtrite without a huge difference in cost could save your house depending on the power of the tornado.
plywood is pretty prone to being destroyed too. 2X4s is the way to go if you really wanna save your house (and you have a shitton of money, no doubt).
Reciprocity
+721|6587|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Glad you and your family are ok.

Kmarion wrote:

In Florida we have hurricane codes (for new construction at least). ..Per Insurance as well. Almost all new homes are concrete block/stucco.
only way I'd live in hurricane states or tornado alley is if I could afford to build a concrete dome house.
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5962|Minnesota
dude i was at soundset that day (google soundset if you care that much) and a tornado touched down 4 miles north of it. the clouds were swirling above but atmosphere rapped them away it was like the best concert evar.
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5962|Minnesota

viper313 wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Well when they tell you that you live in an area prone to Tornado's, then you live in an area prone to Tornado's
that the thing.  The last time this area was hit was in 1965!!!!!!!   We don't live in a area prone for tornadoes.
yeah actually we do considering theres a tornado in MN like at least once a year. in like '82 there was even one park ave. in the middle of minneapolis
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6581|London
A lot of houses in America are made of wood not because it's stronger but because it's cheaper and easier to rebuild after it inevitably gets knocked down by a tornado/earthquake

Spoiler (highlight to read):
sux2buamerica
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6400|The Gem Saloon

viper313 wrote:

Parker wrote:

the sirens went off about an hour age while we were working, but it was well north of us.....luckily.
where's that?
st louis.
we get them all the time, but they dont usually make it into the suburbs....they usually stay out in the rural areas, but every five years or so, we have one that gets in and starts shit.

weve been lucky so far this year.
The#1Spot
+105|6546|byah
This may have not been thought of yet but why not build homes mostly underground?
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6648|Minnesota

The#1Spot wrote:

This may have not been thought of yet but why not build homes mostly underground?
you can and there are some, there's even one about a 1/2 mile south of me.  It's saves you on energy bills and is a lot more eco friendly but the older ones can have issues with leaking and water damage.

https://www.inhabitat.com/images/doorsecrets_copy.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard