ashleyhall
+15|6684|Somerset
I don't quite understand why in such a modern game there's no support for standard 5.1 surround? I have an MSI motherboard with 5.1ch surround via Optical cable into my Sony audio system (surround speakers and sub), is there no way to get proper sound from Battlefields as personally I find the sound quality to be quite poor, i.e. you turn around and the progression of sounds from left to right is very tacky - plus there isn't any clear distinction between someone walking towards you from the left as opposed to the right.

Films and similar sound incredible through my system, and I now want my favourite game to sound as good - is this possible?

p.s. GOD DAMN I LOVE THIS GAME!
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6749|The United Center
it's definitely possible.  did you adjust your audio settings ingame?

i have mine set on X-Fi Ultra high and i can definitely tell where enemies are, even using headphones.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6807|Portland, OR, USA

5.1 works perfectly here...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
ashleyhall
+15|6684|Somerset
Ok I'll give it a go, I must admit since putting the Special Forces and 1.12 patches in place I've only briefly been back to the Audio properties - shame these games don't use Dolby and DTS etc, would sound excellent!!
ashleyhall
+15|6684|Somerset
Just checked actually, If I select Creative XFI (somethign like that) instead of Hware/Sware, I get 'the settings chosen as incompatible with your hardware' - I have the Realtek AC97 Audio Chipset - do I need to buy a Creative soundcard? If I turn on the EAX checkbox it works, but everything sounds very echoy?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6749|The United Center
oh oh...haha, yeah, only choose the x-fi setting if you have a creative x-fi card.  otherwise just choose hardware.  then you should be able to change it.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, run Hardware & High (if you can handle it).
Sweetmate
+1|6753
Hardware audio in BF2 will not work with onboard sound. You will need a creative sound card such as the X-fi or audigy 2 zs for proper hardware accelerated 5.1 sound.

And this will sound much better than Dolby Digital or DTS, those are both lossy compression codecs, a sound card will output uncompressed 5.1 from its analog outputs.
ashleyhall
+15|6684|Somerset
Thanks for that, so I should switch to Software sound for better quality/performance? Interesting, if buying a new audio board should I splash out on a Creative then? Also I'll be upgrading my motherboard soon, I presume unlike video cards (AGP and PCIx), audio cards are still using PCI these days?
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, PCI.
bad-dog
+0|6834|Israel
I think this days audio card and other cards should or already started coming in PCIx aswell

Last edited by bad-dog (2006-01-14 13:25:59)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

Sweetmate wrote:

Hardware audio in BF2 will not work with onboard sound.
Yes it will - I have on board sound, I use the Hardware setting in BF2, it works.

It's nowhere near as good as it would be with a decent sound card, but it does work.
Maj.Do
+85|6754|good old CA
whats pcix? i heard it before is it the pcie x1 slot?
PitViper401
The Magnetic Bullet Attractor
+31|6701|Illinois
pcix just means PCIxpress in general.
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6788

Sweetmate wrote:

Hardware audio in BF2 will not work with onboard sound. You will need a creative sound card such as the X-fi or audigy 2 zs for proper hardware accelerated 5.1 sound.

And this will sound much better than Dolby Digital or DTS, those are both lossy compression codecs, a sound card will output uncompressed 5.1 from its analog outputs.
I highly doubt you have speakers that'll show the difference between DTS and pure :p
in any case I'd like to see games that can output to an external processor too... my reciever can do a fuckload more than just route audio
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6845|Bryan/College Station, TX
Audio 97 is on board sound. Some motherboards will allow you to use the Hardware setting in BF2 and not have much lag or show choppiness. Some are horrible like my own and I had to use the Software setting. So instead of keeping it like that I ordered an Audigy 2 ZS for myself and now I have it on Hardware High Settings. BF2 is on of the few games that currently supports Creative X-FI however I have noticed that the improvement is minimal. If you truely want surround sound 5.1 I would suggest getting a separate Sound Card. Believe you me it's worth it. And yes all sound cards are still PCI.

AGP Video Cards have now been phased out and the best place to buy them these days is on Ebay.
PCIX or PCI-E is the new Video Card architecture and what everything is now days for newer cards.

Before you go out and buy a new computer do your research. Make certain that you get a motherboard that can be expanded. And while a lot of these yahoos on here will swear by Dual processor Athlon 64s. Don't think they are all that and a bag of chips. All games except for maybe a few do not support dual processors at this time. The few people I know that play BF2 and have dual processors have to scale it back to using just one of them for it not to have Crashing problems.

Good luck!

Edit add: Let me add this link so you can research X-Fi even more.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multim … r-xfi.html

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2006-01-15 00:53:03)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
ashleyhall
+15|6684|Somerset
I appreciate all your feedback!

Yes I have a high end Sony system with surround speakers and a wacking great bit sub sat behind my sofa, the difference between 5.1 Dolby and DTS when compared to standard audio is incredible, the onboard AC97 is a good sound card, films and Dolby demo reels sound excellent via the optical audio out that I have - it seems its Battlefields that has the limitation here.

Mine also works fine on Hardware or Software, in either case the Ultra High option is in RED and non-selectable - perhaps I'll invest in a new sound card at some stage.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard