peacock3
+6|6723|Ohio
I have playing with the sniper kit mainly and I'm just wondering what everyones thoughts are on whether you should be a squad member or not.

How do veteran squad leaders feel about sniper members who are acting solo?

I will traditionally operate as a lone wolf but give up my advantage and potentially my squads by not being able to spawn near the squad leaders location
Octavarium
+1|6733
I play lone wolf then create a squad if I make it behind enemy lines.
gazzie
Pulls out gun, Watch him run
+39|6745|England
um stay in squads and stuff coz you get certain medals which require to be a squad member, leader and everything else lone wolf you gain no advantages really
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6798|Scotland!!!
i play as sniper the most, if im squad leader i dont mind snipers in the squad, but i try to join squads or make one, but if i go to a hiding place i make a squad but lock it     nothin worse than being in a sniping spot and the enemy not knowing where u are then someone spawns on u, gets u seen!
Seth Infinite
+3|6761|Houston, The Republic of Texas
Actually, a sniper with a mic can make a good squad member. A few tips:

1. Stay near the squad but not with them. Off to the side or maybe leapfrog them.
2. Spot for them. Not just enemy sighted but '2 bad guys coming down the alley on your right'. Mic required.
3. Don't cap flags. Let the squad do that. Find yourself someplace with a view and relax (and report).
4. If there's a fight coming, position yourself to protect your teammates, you don't need to be in the thick of things.
5. Don't get killed. If the squad gets wiped out, they should leave and rejoin until your squad leader. Then they can spawn on you.

These are techniques for winning a round. You aren't going to score a lot of points or medals this way, but it can still be fun. It's a challenge for a sniper to be a good teammate but it can be done.
peacock3
+6|6723|Ohio
SAS thanks for the info..I like your idea.
Know any Peacock's in Scotland?
deject
Got His War On
+37|6796|Golden, CO
Snipers can definetly play a role in a squad.  Covering your squad while they advance on a flag can save a lot of tickets for your team.  Also, being a squad leader can make you a mobile spawn point making taking flags much much easier.
Lestat<CoN>
Didnt Do it
+9|6726
i like to play sniper as a squad leader that way i can tell the squadies whats near by and also inform the commander of stuff thats going down
someone25
+1|6770
if you have a good team!

the sniper is a great team member...
he can cover the squad an observer the area... 
also he is a great recon...

but this only in a good squad...

in every other case - the sniper should play as lone wolf
KnifeWhore
+1|6775|USA
mmmmmm    sniping
bigelectricat
+3|6714
one big advantage of creating a squad, even if you plan on being a lone wolf, is that the commander can communicate with you directly. they can also see your requests for supplies on the map. but i usually ask for a supply drop away from my position. it will act as a decoy for the enemy to check out. and when they do they are easy targets for me because i always pick an open space for supply drops.

one important thing i learned while playing as sniper is that i dont use the left mouse button as the fire button. maybe its just me but pressing the left mouse button tends to twitch the mouse off target especially when you need to acquire target quickly and use an ultra sensitive mouse setting. i binded my fire button to a keyboard key.
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6745|Toronto, ON, CAN

bigelectricat wrote:

i dont use the left mouse button as the fire button...  i binded my fire button to a keyboard key.
Nice tip... I like that one. I have a laser mouse, and the same problem... it is just too sensitive at times.

As to the Squad issue, I feel they are a great asset, but not as the Squad Leader, unless they have a  sniper only squad... you don't want too many people spawning in your position, as it sort of removes that whole cover idea...
recon, back cover, and precision targeting are the best objectives for this class!

Also a complaint about the UAV or Satellite seeing the sniper.... If your in covert mode, and have layered in mud / debris etc., your not giving off a big enough heat signature to be visible from aerial overflight / Satellite imagery. If your running around on the map.... fair game... but if you have setup a good blind, and are barely moving, you should be invisible... too many times as a sniper in a blind spot of the map, and I can tell the enemy is using the UAV to find me.... lousy cheat I say!!!
LivelyToaster
+60|6742|Sacto, CA
Sniper is by far my most played kit and, for the most part, i play in a squad or as squad leader. Even if you aren't planning on playing in a squad, you should always create a squad and lock it. It makes the commanders job SO much easier. If you have a mic and your in a squad, then your going to be a big help to your squadmates. You can spot easier than they can and you can cover them while they cap the flag. If you aren't good with the pistol i wouldn't recommend getting right in the firefight. Let those assault and support guys take the beating while you hang back and pick people off. Also, don't use the knife when your squadmates are alive. Its not that i don't like the knife (look at my stats if you don't believe me nick=LivelyToaster) but if your using the knife, your going to end up running infront of your teammates and end up getting them killed or your going to get tk'd by them. And thats just going to piss people off. I'm guilty of it too, but i try not to be a pain in the a$$.

So yes, play in a squad. Just don't play like you have an AK and a noob toob. Think about what your doing. Thats what makes the kit tough to play. If you just run around and try to 1 on 1 people your going get rapped and you'll hate the kit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard