I don't see what the problem is here.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6759|FUCK UBISOFT

HurricaИe wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

No, XBL headsets should be rated M

Honestly, not allowing kids under 17 to buy games rated for people over 17 sounds about right to me?

HurricaИe wrote:

That's right folks. Video games are as destructive as alcohol and tobacco and firearms.

Good job Congress, you fucking backwards tools. No wonder nothing gets done there; they care more about policing video games than fixing actual issues. Ironically, the over-18s are the ones who voted these tools into office.

Miggle that's cause of store policy. They're scared that if they sell an M game to someone under 17 and the kid goes on a Columbine rampage, the parents will blame the game and the store instead of their own, fail-tastic selves.
Cry. They are not saying you cannot play them, they are just issuing a warning to parents that they should check out the contents of what their kids are watching. I support this 100%. If they let the kids buy it the decision isn't up to the parents...you would just buy it and hide it. While thats what I did as a kid, and it is a time honored tradition... Technically parents should have the right (and opportunity)  to police what their kids do (or at least the system should be set up to facilitate this).

BeerzGod wrote:

I thought just about every place that sold games already carded kids... plus I've always seen a chart hanging somewhere near video games being sold that explained the ratings system.
Yeah, honestly I thought it was a law too. I guess its currently like movies: Theaters were being threatened with having their rules legislated, so they decided as a group to make it policy...rather then having it made law. They likely have just been doing a decent job policing themselfs so that the issue doesn't come up and they can be responsible to themselves rather then the government.
Why should the government get involved with it? Why should the government replace the PARENT'S job of PARENTING? I think it's downright ridiculous that games are being held to the same respect as alcohol. You folks also seem to forget what "M" stands for... Mature. I know plenty of mature people who are under 17, and plenty of immature people who are over 17.
I know more immature people under 17 than over, but I don't think that on your 17th birthday you magically become more mature...
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
CommieChipmunk
+488|6587|Portland, OR, USA
I hate our society.  I'm not saying that in an emo or antagonistic way.  For how incredibly intelligent we can be, I just can't get past how dumb we really are.

I hope that at some point in my lifetime, we realize that we don't need this huge overbearing bureaucratized government.  I'm definitely for small government, I think that government can serve a great service to society if it's run correctly.  I guess there are just too many people on earth to actually run a government with some degree of effectiveness.

This however, this is just bullshit.  While I'm about a month away from my 18th birthday, so this won't bother me at all, the government has no business in telling parents how to raise there kids.  They shouldn't tell us how old we have to be before we do something.  That's why we have parents.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6173|Vancouver | Canada
Well since I'm in Canada: Fuck yeah.
I'd love a decrease of 15 year old fucktards yelling at me for not playing a game "properly".

But then again, it kinda ruins it for the under-aged kids who are mature enough to discern between games and reality.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6672

Wait, what? I thought there was already a bill like this. When I bought GTA SA I got carded (@ Best Buy), when I bought Crysis I got carded (@ Wal-Mart). I also got carded at Fry's Electronics, but I don't remember if that was a game or an R-rated movie.

[If you must know, I'm 21 but people think I'm 16 or something]
VicktorVauhn
+319|6409|Southern California

HurricaИe wrote:

Why should the government get involved with it? Why should the government replace the PARENT'S job of PARENTING? I think it's downright ridiculous that games are being held to the same respect as alcohol. You folks also seem to forget what "M" stands for... Mature. I know plenty of mature people who are under 17, and plenty of immature people who are over 17.
Dude what its not just alcohol that you have to prove age for, and you don't have to be 21 for all the games.

This ALLOWS the parent to do their job of parenting. The government isn't saying that you cant playing it, they are saying you have to have your parents permission to play it. 

If the kid could buy it with out their parents, then the parents loose control over what there kid gets. Any kid could easily just buy it and not tell their parents.  Its like having your parent sign a waver for you, they are responsible for you and so they have to be the one to make the decision, they don't just ask you if your parents said it was ok.

Its like the V chip in TVs, It gives the parents the chance to actually limit what the kids sees on TV..rather then just having him turn it back on as soon as they leave the house.

Again, its not like you cant have the game...its up to your parents, and if they wont let you have it tough shit...Now the store has to respect the wishes of the parents rather then being able to sell things parents don't want in their house directly to the children to avoid the parents saying no.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard