SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6413|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/1 … china.html

CBC wrote:

More than 8,500 people died when a 7.9 -magnitude earthquake struck southwestern China on Monday, trapping adults and children under the rubble of collapsed schools and office buildings, and causing ammonia spills at a chemical plant, the state news agency said.

Xinhua, citing government officials, said 8,533 people died in the Sichuan province alone, while another 10,000 could be injured. In one of the worst-hit areas of Sichuan — Beichuan county — an estimated 80 per cent of buildings were reduced to rubble.

The earthquake, felt as far away as Pakistan, Thailand and Vietnam, struck about 100 kilometres northwest of the Sichuan provincial capital of Chengdu, the U.S. Geological Survey said on its website. It hit at 2:28 p.m. local time, when schools were full and office buildings were packed.

More than 200 people died in three other provinces, including Gansu and Yunnan, and in the municipality of Chongqing. No Canadian casualties or injuries have been reported, a Foreign Affairs spokesman said Monday, adding that the Canadian Embassy in Beijing is monitoring the situation and providing assistance to Canadians in the area.

Xinhua said about 900 students were trapped inside a high school in the Juyuan township, and students could be seen trying to climb out from under the rubble of the three-storey building, while others were heard calling for help.

At least four Grade 9 students were confirmed dead, while rescuers pulled 50 people from the debris. It was not immediately clear if they were alive or dead.

Several other schools reportedly collapsed as well, Xinhua said, including five in the Sichuan city of Deyang.

At least one other person was killed when a water tower toppled near the epicentre of the earthquake, Xinhua said, while hundreds of people were buried by rubble when a chemical plant collapsed in the Shifang area of Sichuan. It's feared that 70 tonnes of liquid ammonia leaked at the scene.

A hospital, meanwhile, collapsed in Dujiangyan city, in Sichuan, Xinhua said.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6345|tropical regions of london
Im ready for the bird flu
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Death toll in China earthquake up to nearly 9,000 .. holy crap.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6544|Texas - Bigger than France
Terrible news.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

I'm sure the Chinese government are jumping for joy at the thought of 9000 less citizens to feed.
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6639|Amsterdam, NY

Markooo*Est wrote:

There are a lot of Chinas anyway so its not a big loss. They are spamming new kids like nades in karkand.
what?
doug1988
spank that azz.
+146|5860|Nibiru in a far away galaxy
Cyclones/Earthquakes/Tornadoes/Fires/Floods/Sink Holes. sure is a lot going on in the last couple weeks.

Last edited by doug1988 (2008-05-12 15:07:38)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Kmarion wrote:

That ammonia spill sounds like it could make it worse than it already is.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6413|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

M.O.A.B wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

That ammonia spill sounds like it could make it worse than it already is.
Aye. No news on the spill, but the toll has now reached 10,000.
howler_27
+90|6689
Tibetan constpriacy, they are behind all of it. 
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6381|MN

Markooo*Est wrote:

There are a lot of Chinas anyway so its not a big loss. They are spamming new kids like nades in karkand.
Just get out. 

Edit:  And no they are not spaming new kids.  1 child per family policy, ever heard of it?

At least they are trying to get help there faster than Burma.  Sad that so many kids have died.

Last edited by LividBovine (2008-05-12 18:30:23)

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT
Does this speak more to China's vulnerability to earthquake, their terrible overpopulation, or to the shoddy condition of so many of their buildings?
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6381|MN

nukchebi0 wrote:

Does this speak more to China's vulnerability to earthquake, their terrible overpopulation, or to the shoddy condition of so many of their buildings?
Yes.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Smithereener
+138|6317|California
Man, my sister was in China to study abroad, but luckily, she was in Beijing, and she emailed my parents to tell them she was safe.

Unfortunately, looks like quite a few people weren't so lucky.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5996|Truthistan

howler_27 wrote:

Tibetan constpriacy, they are behind all of it. 
Don't mess with the Dali Lama or Karma's gonna get you
Phrozenbot
+632|6617|do not disturb

Very tragic.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6708
It must be George Bush's fault.
Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6523
Death toll almost up to 10000 now.

7.9 has to be the biggest earthquake I've ever heard of actually occurring.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

nukchebi0 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Tangshan_earthquake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1556_Shaanxi_earthquake

Something about the geology area makes it very vulnerable to major earthquake damage. Maybe its a bit sandier than usual with a high-ish water table? Conjecture.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Protecus wrote:

WHAT?!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Protecus wrote:

Uh, no.
Phrozenbot
+632|6617|do not disturb

nukchebi0 wrote:

Protecus wrote:

Uh, no.
?

Anyways, 900 teenagers thought to still be trapped in one school :(
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California
I get earthquake and other disaster notices emailed to my blackberry as they happen and 7.9, while huge, isn't that far from the norm.  There's earthquakes in the Indian Ocean/Sumatra area in the 6's and 7's weekly, and in other areas where they're common, they go unannounced.  Need to be in population centers to do their damage..and get press of course.  I'm waiting for my own "interactive email"..when I feel the earth shaking and knocking me off my feet..then get my email within 30 seconds...if Berkeley can transmit it before losing power or data.
too_money2007
+145|6310|Keller, Tx
What's with all these larger earthquakes this year? Pretty crazy.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

Phrozenbot wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Protecus wrote:

Uh, no.
?

Anyways, 900 teenagers thought to still be trapped in one school

---

But yeah, this is pretty bad. I don't understand why people are saying stupid comments. Just because the PRC Government are dickheads, doesn't mean that somehow in your twisted Al Queada political viewpoint, that these people deserve this.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard