Poll

Is The MPAA Messed Up?

Yes89%89% - 26
No10%10% - 3
Total: 29
FallenMorgan
+53|5918|Glendale, CA
I watched a documentary on the Independent Film Channel, called "This Film Is Not Yet Rated."  It really got me going.  The central problem is this:

The MPAA rates movies with a board of "raters," these are normal people, with little or no training in child development or psychology in general.  Homosexual content is treated with more scrutiny than straight content.  The ratings board incredibly secretive, and the excuse is a pure oxymoron - they say they don't want them to be influenced by public opinion or something.  The MPAA is more secretive than the CIA, and despite being in the public sphere, they are that secretive.

Also, in America, violence is seen as okay in comparison to sex, while in Europe, it's the other way around.  The main problem with the raters is that the ratings board relies on their opinion, which can be biased.  The raters are in between the ages of 40something to 60something, and have children that are older than 18.  The MPAA is frankly a bunch of stuck up douchebags.

There are no guidelines or anything.  In a way it's corporate fascism.

Thoughts/Opinions?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6410|North Carolina
Europe has a much clearer head about what should be censored and what shouldn't when it comes to sex, profanity, nudity, and violence.

Our ratings boards for various media are manipulated by extreme right-wingers and religious nutjobs.

On the flip side, America has a better sense of what should be allowed in terms of political statements.  It seems that insulting Islam is a crime in a few European nations.
FallenMorgan
+53|5918|Glendale, CA

Turquoise wrote:

Europe has a much clearer head about what should be censored and what shouldn't when it comes to sex, profanity, nudity, and violence.

Our ratings boards for various media are manipulated by extreme right-wingers and religious nutjobs.

On the flip side, America has a better sense of what should be allowed in terms of political statements.  It seems that insulting Islam is a crime in a few European nations.
Also, the Appeals Board (where you go if you want to appeal your movie's rating) is entirely populated by corporate high-ups, except for two Clergymen.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6743|Toronto | Canada

I <3 Ontario's rating system, its always WAY lower than in the US.  Tons of R/18A rated movies in the US are rated 14A here, its so much better.  There are only like 2 movies I've seen that were rated 14A that should be rated higher.  The MPAA is messed up, you guys should follow our system!
FallenMorgan
+53|5918|Glendale, CA

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I <3 Ontario's rating system, its always WAY lower than in the US.  Tons of R/18A rated movies in the US are rated 14A here, its so much better.  There are only like 2 movies I've seen that were rated 14A that should be rated higher.  The MPAA is messed up, you guys should follow our system!
Canada doesn't have the same things we have.  We have all these annoying Conservatives.  Canadians are Canadians, they agree with everyone else.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6694|Tampa Bay Florida
I always find it funny how showing people making life is always frowned upon and banned in the US media whereas you can see people killing eachother and taking life in stuff like kids cartoons.
Turquoise
O Canada
Spearhead, it's actually not surprising when you look at how the "3 desert dogmas" (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) are essentially religions of death.  Thankfully, there are people who have helped their religions to evolve into more respectable entities over the years, but all 3 of these religions in their most orthodox forms are very destructive and have a fixation on death and punishment.

Considering that it's the orthodox religious people that usually obsess over what to censor in the mass media, it's not surprising that they would be more permissive of death and violence.
FallenMorgan
+53|5918|Glendale, CA

Spearhead wrote:

I always find it funny how showing people making life is always frowned upon and banned in the US media whereas you can see people killing eachother and taking life in stuff like kids cartoons.
Because in most movies it's pre-maritial sex without the intention of reproduction possibly in some non-missionary position.  Thus, fundies freak out.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6458|Ontario, Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

totally agree!!!1111 Just last week I saw the new Harold and Kumar movie, lots of nudity in it, 14A where I heard in America isnt 18A. Our system rocks. What part of Ontario do you live in Winston?
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6601|Michigan, USA

d4rkst4r wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

totally agree!!!1111 Just last week I saw the new Harold and Kumar movie, lots of nudity in it, 14A where I heard in America isnt 18A. Our system rocks. What part of Ontario do you live in Winston?
In america its rated "R" basically emaning 17+.  I don't see the huge problem.  Only people who really throw a fit over the rating system are those getting denied access over it, or basically kids and teens.  Im old enough to see anymovie I want so, I couldn't care less what they rate it.  Nearly all graphic nudity, violent, or mature subject matter gets rated R, unless it has excessive nudity, in which case it goes NC-17, which is almost never.
FallenMorgan
+53|5918|Glendale, CA

r2zoo wrote:

d4rkst4r wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

In america its rated "R" basically emaning 17+.  I don't see the huge problem.  Only people who really throw a fit over the rating system are those getting denied access over it, or basically kids and teens.  Im old enough to see anymovie I want so, I couldn't care less what they rate it.  Nearly all graphic nudity, violent, or mature subject matter gets rated R, unless it has excessive nudity, in which case it goes NC-17, which is almost never.
The main problem is how films are rated.  The board of people who rate it aren't people who are experts in child development or psychology, they're average, potentially moralistic, older Americans.  Also the rating appeals board is entirely populated by corporate big-shots.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6574|United States
I never really gave much thought to the rating system, or to be honest, never really cared. The rating system exists to help parents decide whether or not to allow their children to watch the movie/show. The only people that really complain about the system are the ones too young to watch the movies they want to watch, or the parents who complain about movies not being rated appropriately when its their job to decide what their kids can watch... not the job of the MPAA.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6443|King Of The Islands

Sounds like the same dickheads running the OLFC. Although there's R18 for everything else, they refuse to make an R18 for games, as they think games are still played by exclusively children.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX

Spearhead wrote:

I don't get it either - its bizarre.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
PureFodder
+225|6290
I guess the different attitudes towards graphic displays of sex comes partialy from the different amounts of religion in European and American society.

A lot of the attitude towards sex comes from religion. In more secular societies, the attitudes towards sex are far less reactionary.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6659

Ah I saw that movie a long time ago. Pretty good, shows just how Nazi-like the MPAA are.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

Over here it gives two ratings on a DVD disk, the UK one and an Ireland one, the Irish one is generally higher than the UK rating. For example over here we go in U (Universal) PG (Parental Guidance) 12, 15 and 18.
FallenMorgan
+53|5918|Glendale, CA
America is only 4% atheist, as opposed to countries like France, which are around 33% atheist, and I think Estonia and the Czech Republic have the highest percentage of atheists.  This says a lot.  M.O.A.B, Ireland is typically more moralistic than the UK, I think.  Actually Sweden has a lot of atheists, around 60-70%, and in the world, Vietnam has the highest concentration, except they're commies, so they don't count.

https://www.morgan.imperialstudios.net/wp-content/gallery/pictures/800px-atheists_agnostics_zuckerman_desvg.png

As you can see, America is the same shade of beige as a country such as Saudi Arabia.  This plays in to how gay the rating systems may be.  Usually a ratings system that puts violence as a priority is more secular, but a system that puts sex as a big no-no are usually moralistic.  The issue though is how it's okay to have violence in a moralistic ratings system.  I think it has to do with the fact that the Bible has a ton of violence in it to begin with.

Last edited by FallenMorgan (2008-05-12 08:48:22)

Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6651

Dilbert_X wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

If we don't make our kids think sex is bad then they might go out and have sex someday and populate the earth. Is that what you want?!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

If we don't make our kids think sex is bad then they might go out and have sex someday and populate the earth. Is that what you want?!
Whereas it's important that they understand that violence solves problems, so we should encourage it.
FallenMorgan
+53|5918|Glendale, CA

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Yeah, it's bad to have pre-maritial sex but it's good to shoot someone through the head.  Really sensible logic.

I knew what a hot female looked like at like, 13 or so, thanks to the internet, but I don't want to reproduce.  Also, Ajax, sex does not always = reproducing.  We have things like birth control and abortion.
Turquoise
O Canada
Guys, I think Ajax was being sarcastic.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

I noticed here a while back that the movie Apocalypse Now, its rated an 18 as a DVD, but on Sky (Satellite TV) it gets listed as a 15, originally an 18, weird.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6743|The Hague, Netherlands

ratings in The Netherlands most of the time don't mean jackshit,

you can see everything when you're older then 16.

stuff gets rated as 18+ yes but like nobody is paying attention to "if you're younger then 18".

most of the times the ratings are pretty accurate.

but damn I have to be 3+ to play NFS Pro Street
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6651

Turquoise wrote:

Guys, I think Ajax was being sarcastic.
I have never made a sarcastic post and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard