spyderman120
+0|6684
alright go ahead, you can hate me for asking if you want, but i feel lost. some say it is easy, but i feel intimidated. i want to build my own computer to play BF2 at home(with it actually running well) instead of constantly wasting time at an internet gaming place. but like i said, i feel intimidated. i dont know where to start, or what people are saying. if any of you out there can link me to a website that explains what is what, or what things are compatible or what the heck i do...i know i need money, lol, and lets say my budget is up to $1000. any help is greatly appreciated
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

I need the same help. I play at an iCafe too and want a decent computer.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
oberst_enzian
+234|6744|melb.au
some reviews and insights here: http://www.tomshardware.com/

they do round ups of current hardware, as well as offer guides on how to build, overclock old stuff etc.
dunno, have a look in there

edit:
there's a tab system (i.e. CPU | Motherboards | Graphics | Build you own... etc) so you click on there and then you get te main page for that section with a box (i.e. Reviews | overclocking...) which then gives you the recent articles for that section

Last edited by oberst_enzian (2006-01-10 20:13:52)

Shmizmar
+6|6683|Los Angeles
Yeah i was gonna say Toms hardware.com also

i suggest www.pricegrabber.com to find the cheapest deals on the parts...it will comparison shop all the PC parts websites for you

or you can just get everything from www.newegg.com

Good luck dude
Diomed
+1|6701
Use www.pricewatch.com for maximum street cred.
Sparky13
+1|6722
I used this site to learn how to build a computer, http://motherboards.org/articles/guides/924_1.html it really helped, and then asked the people at the forums for motherboards.org for recommendations on a 1k budget and they will give you good options.  That is what I did and they really helped.
[-CGZ-]BioRaveN
Don't make me toothpick you.
+31|6706|The beautiful hills of Sharqi
I have an idea, if you would be willing to spend that much, spend a little more, get a Dell XPS 600 series, Dell has monthly payments, I don't think they add intrest, but you might hate me for it, but I got one,  maxed out RAM, 500 gig HD, top of line stuff for 2500, with a huge discount of course....I am not saying to go for that package, 1.5 gigs of ram and a decent processor and graphics card will work fine, maybe at max 1500$
oberst_enzian
+234|6744|melb.au
hmmm... i am going to be the devil's advocate here and say never get a package deal, and learn how to build your own as soon as you can. building yourself is always cheaper, and a valuable skill for any self-respecting computer-geek to learn
spyderman120
+0|6684
thanks, keep the tips coming, but i think i have a good start to read up...got to deal with some school, but will check in and out, thanks a lot so far, and i will be sure to check with you guys. thanks for the start, and keep it cosming if you feel so inclined...although, i may be speaking too soon, i might wind up coming back blubbering, ohh well, we will see! thanks again

Last edited by spyderman120 (2006-01-10 20:35:10)

psychotoxic187
+11|6711

[-CGZ-]BioRaveN wrote:

I have an idea, if you would be willing to spend that much, spend a little more, get a Dell XPS 600 series, Dell has monthly payments, I don't think they add intrest, but you might hate me for it, but I got one,  maxed out RAM, 500 gig HD, top of line stuff for 2500, with a huge discount of course....I am not saying to go for that package, 1.5 gigs of ram and a decent processor and graphics card will work fine, maybe at max 1500$
First, Dell charges outrageous amounts of interest, all the way up to 30%. Second, Dell uses proprietary motherboards, and sometimes PSU's. Third, and last, their support down rite sucks.
spyderman120
+0|6684
alright, i have done some reading, and kinda of get what is going on, and have a more specific question. when building my rig or gathering the parts, what should i look at first? motherboard, case what? ...and what do you guys suggest i get? what type?
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6742|England
socket 939 motherboard (pci-express)
athlon64 (soc 939 also)
pci-express gfx card of your choice
500w(at least) atx2 psu (recommend enermax)
1 or 2 gig of pc3200 ddr ram
thermaltake do some good cases with 120mm fans already in front and rear
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6742|England
also, always read the manuals...dont guess. (they are simple to follow)
spyderman120
+0|6684
thank you! i will look at these parts. any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

actually, upon a further look, seeing as how i may have not mentioned this before, i am retarded when it comes to this, seeing as it is my first delve into this area of building a computer. anyways, the parts you listed, i know the first is a motherboard, lol, but what are the other parts classified as? just some clarification because, again, i dont know whats going on in a sense, heh. thanks

Last edited by spyderman120 (2006-01-13 16:57:59)

spyderman120
+0|6684
alright, let me shift a gear or two. can anyone, if you wouldn't mind, maybe come up with a list ,of some sort, of what parts i should get. remember, my 1st time so i dont know what is what, so lable, heh. on this comp i want to build i want to be able to:

1. play Bf2 and maybe other games in the near future

2. occasional word documents

and that is probably it

again, my budget, atm is probably like 1000 usd, around that. this would be greatly appreciated, thank you if this is not too big of a request.
spyderman120
+0|6684
^forget what i said up there, heh heh. i hvae aquired a setup i am led to believe that will preform the tasks i want to well. if there are any mistakes, or suggestion, im a open to them.

CPU: AMD 64 3500+ (possibly 4000+)=is that what it is called?

VGA: eVGA 7800GT

MOBO: ASUS A8n-SLI

MEM: OCZ Gold Edition 1BG PC 3200

PSU: ThermalTake 500W

OP: Windows XP

and, any suggestions on a basic case that would fit the mobo and PSU? thanks.
wayneakagod
+17|6749
Yeah, that's a fine pc. Should serve you well.

I would probably suggest going for 2GB of a cheaper brand RAM. For example This RAM

Any ATX case should fit your reqs. I personally like This One
bad-dog
+0|6834|Israel
Get A good PSU, not too expensive and not too cheap, you don't want your mobo to get burned because you were cheap on the PSU

I spent too much on the PSU myself but I'm assured that my 24/7 working PC won't get burned

And also as the guy above me said, Any ATX case and also as he said I also suggest another gig of ram

Last edited by bad-dog (2006-01-14 13:57:30)

spyderman120
+0|6684
about the 2GB ram, on a different forum, they said that when using OP: XP, that 1GB was the way to go. what are your guys' suggestions/experiences...what opperating systems do you guys use? and is the PSU i listed above sufficient?

Last edited by spyderman120 (2006-01-14 16:04:37)

wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6742|England
enermax
tagan
hiper-power (neat + tidy http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hiper.html )
antec

for PSU's
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
2 GB of ram makes a lot of difference, im running 3
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
bad-dog
+0|6834|Israel

wooly-back-jack wrote:

enermax
tagan
hiper-power (neat + tidy http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hiper.html )
antec

for PSU's
Here got ENERMAX myself, it rules dude
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6742|England
same ere, 600w enermax noisetaker
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6697|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia

spyderman120 wrote:

^forget what i said up there, heh heh. i hvae aquired a setup i am led to believe that will preform the tasks i want to well. if there are any mistakes, or suggestion, im a open to them.

CPU: AMD 64 3500+ (possibly 4000+)=is that what it is called?

VGA: eVGA 7800GT

MOBO: ASUS A8n-SLI

MEM: OCZ Gold Edition 1BG PC 3200

PSU: ThermalTake 500W

OP: Windows XP

and, any suggestions on a basic case that would fit the mobo and PSU? thanks.
lol you know about computers and you were just saying that to show off, you know thats a great setup, lmao
spyderman120
+0|6684
honestly, i didnt know, i wasnt showing off, i know nothing about making a computer, hence this topic, heh. i got that setup by someone who suggested it, anyways, back to my question, if i get 2GB RAM, and run windows XP, things will still work fine?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard