kylef
Gone
+1,352|6513|N. Ireland
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7249090.stm

"The announcement comes after it was reported that oral tests were being dropped as they were "too stressful"

I think that the entire basis on learning a language is the ability to speak that. If oral exams are to be changed / dropped then it surely defeats the purpose of even learning a modern language! The ability to speak the language is surely the fundamental basis of taking the subject. Currently, at least for my school - we must do a total of a minimum five minute oral assessment (which can actually be quite a while when just talking and answering questions)

What are your thoughts on this?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6641|London, England
I always did way better in my oral French than writing the stuff, it helped that my French teacher was abit of a hottie
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6513|N. Ireland

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I always did way better in my oral French than writing the stuff, it helped that my French teacher was abit of a hottie
I have a female French teacher too (assuming you are talking about a woman, Mek..)
LT.Victim
+1,175|6582|British Columbia, Canada

kylef wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I have a female French teacher too (assuming you are talking about a woman, Mek..)
My french teacher was some pedo-ish guy..

I can't believe I passed that class..
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6647|UK
They're not dropping it, as such. If you read the article it says things like:

Repeated assessments of speaking a foreign language over a long period was a much more accurate indicator of ability, he added.
Under the new regime, candidates might be asked to take part in an interview or make a presentation to a group.
Or they might get involved in basic business-style negotiations or product pitches.
And more.

I tihnk it's quite a good idea really. I've never liked doing those damn oral tests. I don't think I've ever performed well in them - I just forget how to speak French for those 20mins that the exam takes place.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

If anything, spoken language exams should be a more common facet of English classes. With each passing year, I understand less of what younger people say, and nothing's wrong with my hearing.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6647|UK

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If anything, spoken language exams should be a more common facet of English classes. With each passing year, I understand less of what younger people say, and nothing's wrong with my hearing.
They are at GCSE level (Exams at age 16) in England. You have to do 3 presentations throughout the year, one of which is in a group. Well, that's what I had to do, anyway.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6372|uk

liquidat0r wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

They are at GCSE level (Exams at age 16) in England. You have to do 3 presentations throughout the year, one of which is in a group. Well, that's what I had to do, anyway.
Humm, not the same for me- all I had to do was one presentation and that was to just the teacher.

The exam system in general in the UK isn't too bad- In my opinion time could be easier spent on other things such as NHS... but thats another topic

Oral Exams in particular?- no I don't think they should be dropped- but that isn't what the article is suggesting . Oral exams are needed for languages, however, I only did a language because I was forced to, and never paid particular attention to the lessons- Oral exams as they are now sound easier for people like me to pass in however...

*runs out of D&ST again*
02fxnmaurer
+75|6502|Birmingham UK
gcse language can suck my balls ...i got a c ........amongst a's .....

my oral was horrible ...
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5981|Washington DC
We don't really do a lot of oral tests in the language classes at our school. Instead we do lots of class discussion and occasionally presentations and whatnot, along with going to the computer lab and doing some diction stuff so the teacher can better analyze our speech.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6590|USA

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

except for the hottie part. mine had this bigass mole on her upper lip. also she had a big ass. big everything, really.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6726
No.  If you can't speak the language, you obviously don't know it well enough.  Someone who can't speak the language but can only write, should not get a better score than someone who can speak, but not write.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5953|United States
i just had AP spanish lang this morning...pretty easy actually, even without studying. Some reading comprehension, fill in the blank, essay, and then formal and informal speaking. Teacher is not hot, although she is nice-- we had parties like every few weeks
zeidmaan
+234|6434|Vienna

Do you have oral exams for other classes besides English? If you dont than what the hell.
In Bosnia its the preffered method for grading in most classes. I had about 40 oral exams per year in high school.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6799|Great Brown North
i always bombed the orals not because i couldnt speak the language... but because i hate being in front of any amount of people and it destroys my concentration
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6520|so randum

kylef wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7249090.stm

"The announcement comes after it was reported that oral tests were being dropped as they were "too stressful"

I think that the entire basis on learning a language is the ability to speak that. If oral exams are to be changed / dropped then it surely defeats the purpose of even learning a modern language! The ability to speak the language is surely the fundamental basis of taking the subject. Currently, at least for my school - we must do a total of a minimum five minute oral assessment (which can actually be quite a while when just talking and answering questions)

What are your thoughts on this?
No - Reading and writing etcetera is all fair and well, but imho being able to communicate in the language without panic is the overall aim of the learning. Plus, once you get the hang of it, it's a wonderful feeling! And unfortunatly the only way to grade this ability is through oral tests.

However, i do feel the structure of the exams (at least the ones i've sat) should be changed.
I'm a big fan of the impromptu conversations in the exam - as it would be in the target country, but being made to memorise 200 words about a fictious holiday story (like i had to do) is pointless, and only proves the ability of short term memory - not skill in the language itself.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

02fxnmaurer wrote:

gcse language can suck my balls ...i got a c ........amongst a's .....

my oral was horrible ...

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Someone who can't speak the language but can only write, should not get a better score than someone who can speak, but not write.
They shouldn't even be scored side-by-side, so why should that matter. Written language has grown more important over the past decades, but people are neglecting their enunciation.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-05-07 15:38:46)

FallenMorgan
+53|5934|Glendale, CA
I can't think of an oral sex joke.  I learned Japanese with Rosetta Stone, and I thank GOD there was no oral test shit at the homeschool place.  A written test would be worse.  In general I hate second language shit.
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6649|Mexifornia, USA
My oral French is flawless.

Some say I should learn the language.

OH SNAP.

yeah, im fuckin dumb. couldnt resist

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard