Poll

How do you rank GTA IV, amonst the GTA series?

Easily the best GTA22%22% - 23
It's the best GTA, but it could be better31%31% - 33
Vice city was better6%6% - 7
San Andreas was better13%13% - 14
SA and Vice city were better4%4% - 5
As good as the previous GTA's1%1% - 2
Haven't decided yet18%18% - 19
Other0%0% - 1
Total: 104
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6793|FUCK UBISOFT

Poseidon wrote:

Vilham wrote:

No EA cares about pumping out the exact same game with new players so that they can make even more money off the stupid people who buy the game.
You've obviously never played Madden. Many, MANY new features with gameplay are added each year, the most notable being the juke stick. And graphics over the years in Madden have improved VASTLY.

NHL '08 this year was also amazing. It has AMAZING graphics, and it also is one of the best hockey games I've played in my entire life.
Hmm, so adding the juke stick is worth $50.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6589|Long Island, New York

Miggle wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Vilham wrote:

No EA cares about pumping out the exact same game with new players so that they can make even more money off the stupid people who buy the game.
You've obviously never played Madden. Many, MANY new features with gameplay are added each year, the most notable being the juke stick. And graphics over the years in Madden have improved VASTLY.

NHL '08 this year was also amazing. It has AMAZING graphics, and it also is one of the best hockey games I've played in my entire life.
It's not just the features...it's the gameplay and the AI, which have also vastly improved. Compare Madden '09 when it comes out this August to Madden '03 (lol marshall faulk). Regardless of players, there's a MAJOR gameplay improvement between the two.

Albeit Madden '08 didn't add many features, Madden throughout the years has added huge huge differences between the game. It's not like it's the same game with the rookies added in.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6793|FUCK UBISOFT

Poseidon wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

It's not just the features...it's the gameplay and the AI, which have also vastly improved. Compare Madden '09 when it comes out this August to Madden '03 (lol marshall faulk). Regardless of players, there's a MAJOR gameplay improvement between the two.

Albeit Madden '08 didn't add many features, Madden throughout the years has added huge huge differences between the game. It's not like it's the same game with the rookies added in.
no shit, 6 years better improve the game.

but selling the same game with a little bit of a patch every year for $50 is absurd, and I know people who buy them every year.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6817|UK

Poseidon wrote:

Vilham wrote:

lol you dont seem to get EA's business model, which is release game, add tiny feature at minimal cost, release game repeat, its how they are one of the biggest games developers/publishers out there. Madden could be an amazing acception, but Fifa aint and neither are their other sports games or the sims line.

Last edited by Vilham (2008-05-07 17:01:21)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6817|UK
Out of interest Poseidon when did you start playing games and what series have you played?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Miggle wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Miggle wrote:

no shit, 6 years better improve the game.

but selling the same game with a little bit of a patch every year for $50 is absurd, and I know people who buy them every year.
I'd agree...except they don't do that. Just look at the new features setup for this years Madden.

Updates to Madden NFL 09 include:[2]

* Madden IQ system: players train in a holographic environment, which grants them a "Madden IQ" based on their practice in 12 different drills. The game's difficulty adjusts itself to the player's Madden IQ.
    * EA Sports Backtrack: the game analyzes the player's playing ability and points out mistakes during gameplay a la a television-styled telestrator
    * Improved online leagues: server-based leagues, supporting up to 32 players, with full schedules including the playoffs and the Super Bowl as well as a draft and trade support. Schedules can be played in a round-robin style as well.
    * Revamped graphics: Improved stadium models, new weather particle system, new lighting models, new player models, field goal nets, user-controlled celebrations, and Total Control animation system. There are clear visors also.
    * Improved gameplay: Offensive line slide protection, smart routes, formation substitutions, new player weapon types and the ability to return missed field goals.
    * Revamped franchise mode: Simulated stats have been improved (e.g. fewer running backs gaining 2,000+ yards in one season), rivalry games have special value and played games have more crowd and television intensity.
    * On-demand picture-in-picture play-call window: Picture-in-picture style interface to allow the player to see key information and call plays and formations without leaving the current window.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_09

Yeah, minor features alright..

Vilham wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Vilham wrote:

lol you dont seem to get EA's business model, which is release game, add tiny feature at minimal cost, release game repeat, its how they are one of the biggest games developers/publishers out there.
Again, you've obviously never played Madden.

But what's this? What about not judging or rating a game when you haven't played it? Hmm?
dan673
+46|6034

Vilham wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Vilham wrote:

lol you dont seem to get EA's business model, which is release game, add tiny feature at minimal cost, release game repeat, its how they are one of the biggest games developers/publishers out there. Madden could be an amazing acception, but Fifa aint and neither are their other sports games or the sims line.

Business Week wrote:

Video game giant Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS ) had a very simple formula for success: base a product on a popular sports or movie franchise, spend a fortune marketing it, and then push out a new version of that game year after year.
You're basically right.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

dan673 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Business Week wrote:

Video game giant Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS ) had a very simple formula for success: base a product on a popular sports or movie franchise, spend a fortune marketing it, and then push out a new version of that game year after year.
You're basically right.
For the sports games, yeah...but every single year they add new features and upgrade the graphics. It's not like they can add GIGANTIC features...only so far you can go with a sports game. The deke stick with NHL and the juke stick with Madden were HUGE gameplay elements that added in the feeling of control over your player.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6793|FUCK UBISOFT

Poseidon wrote:

* Madden IQ system: players train in a holographic environment, which grants them a "Madden IQ" based on their practice in 12 different drills. The game's difficulty adjusts itself to the player's Madden IQ.I think I remember this from as early as madden 04, they were called Drills, and they gave you stat points.
    * EA Sports Backtrack: the game analyzes the player's playing ability and points out mistakes during gameplay a la a television-styled telestratorHaven't the TV guys always pointed out mistakes? "Oh, that was a bad play" or "Shouldn't have picked that one"
    * Improved online leagues: server-based leagues, supporting up to 32 players, with full schedules including the playoffs and the Super Bowl as well as a draft and trade support. Schedules can be played in a round-robin style as well.
    * Revamped graphics: Improved stadium models, new weather particle system, new lighting models, new player models, field goal nets, user-controlled celebrations, and Total Control animation system. There are clear visors also.Lots of new graphics...
    * Improved gameplay: Offensive line slide protection, smart routes, formation substitutions, new player weapon types and the ability to return missed field goals.Weapon Types? BADASS!
    * Revamped franchise mode: Simulated stats have been improved (e.g. fewer running backs gaining 2,000+ yards in one season), rivalry games have special value and played games have more crowd and television intensity.
    * On-demand picture-in-picture play-call window: Picture-in-picture style interface to allow the player to see key information and call plays and formations without leaving the current window.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6817|UK
Actually I owned Madden 2003. So yeah... I have played it.

And based on the fact that you think ANY of those features are major im going to assume you have never programmed anything before. I also point out that because I dont know the exact features of 08 how am I meant to know if those are major changes at all. For all I know 08 supported 30 players online. The programming to add those features will have taken them less than a month to complete.

As I said and you chose to ignore, Madden may be the exception, but madden is a very small game for EA, Fifa for example has stayed VERY similar over the years. Just like how they pump out sims expansions with marginal content that costs £40. I really do have to ask if you actually have any personal experience in the industry to know so much as to how EA doesnt use this business model, because clearly you know something everyone else doesnt.

Last edited by Vilham (2008-05-07 17:12:40)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6793|FUCK UBISOFT

Vilham wrote:

And based on the fact that you think ANY of those features are major im going to assume you have never programmed anything before. I also point out that because I dont know the exact features of 08 how am I meant to know if those are major changes at all. For all I know 08 supported 30 players online.

As I said and you chose to ignore, Madden may be the exception, but madden is a very small game for EA, Fifa for example has stayed VERY similar over the years. Just like how they pump out sims expansions with marginal content that costs £40. I really do have to ask if you actually have any personal experience in the industry to know so much as to how EA doesnt use this business model, because clearly you know something everyone else doesnt.
madden may be small in the UK, but it's one of the biggest games out here, easily the biggest sports game.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Miggle wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

* Madden IQ system: players train in a holographic environment, which grants them a "Madden IQ" based on their practice in 12 different drills. The game's difficulty adjusts itself to the player's Madden IQ.I think I remember this from as early as madden 04, they were called Drills, and they gave you stat points.
    * EA Sports Backtrack: the game analyzes the player's playing ability and points out mistakes during gameplay a la a television-styled telestratorHaven't the TV guys always pointed out mistakes? "Oh, that was a bad play" or "Shouldn't have picked that one"
    * Revamped graphics: Improved stadium models, new weather particle system, new lighting models, new player models, field goal nets, user-controlled celebrations, and Total Control animation system. There are clear visors also.Lots of new graphics...
    * Improved gameplay: Offensive line slide protection, smart routes, formation substitutions, new player weapon types and the ability to return missed field goals.Weapon Types? BADASS!
1. I remember that too, but it sounds a lot more advanced. We'll have to wait until the game comes out...I'm sure it'll be a big difference. Probably a lot smarter and that specific player will get better in catching, running, dodging, blocking as they go on. Old drills would just let you add a few attribute points to your player.

2. Yes, but very vague stuff and only when you were to say throw an interception or fumble...etc. Now it sounds like they'll say specific stuff, which will help a lot more.

3. Why shouldn't they improve graphics a bit?

4. Probably like the equivilent of what an enforcer is in the NHL. Assigned roles, and the "weapon" will be that player's role.

Vilham wrote:

And based on the fact that you think ANY of those features are major im going to assume you have never programmed anything before. I also point out that because I dont know the exact features of 08 how am I meant to know if those are major changes at all. For all I know 08 supported 30 players online. The programming to add those features will have taken them less than a month to complete.

If you don't think the juke stick was a major improvement...well, I don't even know what to say to that.

Madden's a small game for EA? Madden is THE NFL game in the US. EA bought the rights to almost all NFL logos and such (which sucks, I did kinda like the ESPN NFL Football franchise) and now is pretty much the only NFL game out there. It sells millions each year.

I bet they do use a similar model, but it's not like they're like "ok, new madden tiem guiz, new graphics and minor changes, stat!". Do you work for EA? No, you don't either. However, I PLAY this series almost every year, and I can see with personal experience the changes that they've made each year. It's not drastically different, but it's a big enough difference for me to notice and enjoy it further. Every year, the Madden franchise gets better and better.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6793|FUCK UBISOFT

Poseidon wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

1. I remember that too, but it sounds a lot more advanced. We'll have to wait until the game comes out...I'm sure it'll be a big difference. Probably a lot smarter and that specific player will get better in catching, running, dodging, blocking as they go on. Old drills would just let you add a few attribute points to your player.

2. Yes, but very vague stuff and only when you were to say throw an interception or fumble...etc. Now it sounds like they'll say specific stuff, which will help a lot more.

4. Probably like the equivilent of what an enforcer is in the NHL. Assigned roles, and the "weapon" will be that player's role.

Vilham wrote:

If you don't think the juke stick was a major improvement...well, I don't even know what to say to that.

Madden's a small game for EA? Madden is THE NFL game in the US. EA bought the rights to almost all NFL logos and such (which sucks, I did kinda like the ESPN NFL Football franchise) and now is pretty much the only NFL game out there. It sells millions each year.

I bet they do use a similar model, but it's not like they're like "ok, new madden tiem guiz, new graphics and minor changes, stat!". Do you work for EA? No, you don't either. However, I PLAY this series almost every year, and I can see with personal experience the changes that they've made each year. It's not drastically different, but it's a big enough difference for me to notice and enjoy it further. Every year, the Madden franchise gets better and better.
But better enough to be worth $50?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Miggle wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Vilham wrote:

But better enough to be worth $50?
I'd say so. To each his own. You'd prefer not to pay 50 bucks each year, I prefer to, although I didn't get Madden in '06. I have the cash to do so, and I do it. And every year it surpasses my expectations.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6817|UK

Miggle wrote:

Vilham wrote:

And based on the fact that you think ANY of those features are major im going to assume you have never programmed anything before. I also point out that because I dont know the exact features of 08 how am I meant to know if those are major changes at all. For all I know 08 supported 30 players online.

madden may be small in the UK, but it's one of the biggest games out here, easily the biggest sports game.
Yeah I see its got 70 million, FIFA has 65 million so they are about the same importance for EA i guess, that would explain why they use the same model for them, release a major change every 4-5 years and release minor changes every year and sell it for £40.

Fair enough posedon sounds like your the kind of customer they love, they have to do very little to keep you pleased and still make money from it. If you view the additions as worthwhile theres nothing I can say to change that, nor do I care, but my opinion stands that as the years go by games are getting more and more content cut in favor of graphics, I have lots of games that show exactly that.

Last edited by Vilham (2008-05-07 18:43:03)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Vilham wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Yeah I see its got 70 million, FIFA has 65 million so they are about the same importance for EA i guess, that would explain why they use the same model for them, release a major change every 4-5 years and release minor changes every year and sell it for £40.

Fair enough posedon sounds like your the kind of customer they love, they have to do very little to keep you pleased and still make money from it. If you view the additions as worthwhile theres nothing I can say to change that, nor do I care, but my opinion stands that as the years go by games are getting more and more content cut in favor of graphics, I have lots of games that show exactly that.
Or, you know, maybe the fact that I love Football.

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6817|UK
Yes exactly, your love of football means they dont need to spend too much modifying the game to keep you happy, just like the Fifa games, aslong as its still football people will buy it.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6743|England
I'm loving how just Poseiden and Vilham are having a massive off-topic argument between themselves in a random thread.

btw Vice was way better - IV is just driving around at night CONSTANTLY
bennisboy
+829|6697|Poundland

Vilham wrote:

If you think FIFA has stayed the same over the years, you're living in a fucking dream-world. I agree with poseidon, plus I've read pretty much your whole debate, and most of the shit you say is just hypocritical

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard