Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6103|Carnoustie, Scotland
So yesterday my brothers car ran outta oil at McDonalds so we had to take him oil.
He had only filled it up last week

Today on the dual carrigeway the car started producing lots, and I mean lots of white smoke when under 3000rpm. He thinks he put too much in, how do you solve this one, bf2s?

EDIT: It's a Mazda 3 Sport if that's any help, driven like it was stolen.

Last edited by Funky_Finny (2008-05-05 07:28:41)

jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

white smoke? Might be a cracked cooling jacket.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6365|The Gem Saloon
his car ran out of oil?
i find that hard to believe, as his motor would be a paper weight right now, if that were the case.

without knowing anything else, it sounds like he has a blown head gasket.
Funky_Finny
Banned

Parker wrote:

his car ran out of oil?
i find that hard to believe, as his motor would be a paper weight right now, if that were the case.

without knowing anything else, it sounds like he has a blown head gasket.
Well, it didn't run out, just ran low.
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6501|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
White smoke = water
Blue Smoke = oil
Black Smoke = fucked
Funky_Finny
Banned

_NL_Lt.EngineerFox wrote:

White smoke = water
Blue Smoke = oil
Black Smoke = fucked
It was really thick white smoke with some blue in there.

Last edited by Funky_Finny (2008-05-05 07:29:57)

Parker
isteal
well, either way, you have coolant leaking into the combustion chambers, so it is burning with the fuel/air mixture.

find the leak, replace the hose/gasket, and the problem is solved.....until it fucks up again lol.
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
I had it with my Golf a couple of times, I say a blown gaskit or leaky oilpump.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

jsnipy wrote:

white smoke? Might be a cracked cooling jacket.
Aye, might be cooler fluid being mixed with the oil.

Here's some copypasta of smoke color analysis, I.e. "If it's this color, your car has this problem"

copypasta wrote:

White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).

Blue Smoke: Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. Blue smoke is more likely in older or higher mileage vehicles than newer cars with fewer miles.

How did the engine oil get inside the cylinder in the first place? The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil. Using thicker weight engine oil or an oil additive designed to reduce oil leaks might help reduce the amount of oil leaking into the cylinder.

Black Smoke: Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. Another term for excess fuel is "running rich." Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor.

How did the fuel get into the cylinder in the first place? Some of the causes of excess fuel are a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. If black smoke is present, check the engine oil as in the white smoke example to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do not start the engine if a heavy, raw fuel smell can be detected in the engine oil. Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found.
Source

Check again if the smoke is blueish (as that has to do with excess oil). Overheating (when your bro decided to drive unlubed) might have cracked gaskets in a way that cooler fluid is entering the combustion chamber, so that would explain the white smoke.

Edit: And no, I'm not the "Don" cited on the source site.
I need around tree fiddy.
Funky_Finny
Banned
Thanks guys for all the info.

John (brother) is pretty adamant that it's a leak, there's oil all over the underside of the car, and oil was being burned and fired out the exhuast.
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
Told you leaky pump.
jay_courage
Alive in a sea of mediocre
+131|5930|Carnoustie
thanks for all the help lads its going back to the garage under warrenty as its only an 07 plate, second time this has happened and it cost me a grand last time, oil warning light hasen't came on this time so warrenty here i come!!
I Friggin Love The Nhs
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

jay_courage wrote:

thanks for all the help lads its going back to the garage under warrenty as its only an 07 plate, second time this has happened and it cost me a grand last time, oil warning light hasen't came on this time so warrenty here i come!!
'07? Warranty it is. Hope they get it fixed.
I need around tree fiddy.
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6735|mansfield
Maybe the car seat just bringing forward a inch or so .
Parker
isteal

hurricane2oo5 wrote:

Maybe the car seat just bringing forward a inch or so .
if you insist on spamming, at least TRY to make sense...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard