FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6709|Devon, England
those words went straight to my heart, bf2 is one of my first multiplater fps games, and i hav played almost every console fps ther is, but bf2 outweighs them all. i dont mind about people complainin cos sumtimes its a good thing, like you know, helpin with the new patches and if i dont like sum1s complaint, il ignor it. bf2 is the best game i hav ever played (although the FF series comes close ) and il still be playin it years from now.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6866|San Francisco

My stance has always been this; BF2 has TONS of outstanding issues that shipped, as almost anyone can attest to, yet for all of its annoyances and shortcomings I have still logged 200 hours of gameplay over that past 7 months. I was able to look past the poor frontend and frequent crashes because once I got into the game it was very enjoyable. Sure it took me two tries and a couple of hours to set up my keys for the first time... sure I had to manually move program files off of my C drive in order to install the 1.02 patch... sure I then had to repartition my C drive in order to install the Special Forces and the 1.12 patch... but the gameplay IS addictingly fun and enjoyable, which is why I never gave up and uninstalled the game. Giving it the title of 'Best FPS Ever' is a bit much, perhaps with a perfect menu system and no bugs whatsoever, but as it is there are plenty of other FPS games (both with singleplayer and multiplayer focus) that are better.
Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier
+2|6796|Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
BF2 is an incredibly addicting game, and I enjoy the gameplay enough to log a sizable amount of time since it shipped. There are stability issues that pop up from time to time, but they are rare enough that it doesn't bother me.

Now as far as destroying the franchise goes...

1. Core FLAWS should take precendence over balance issues. First and foremost is the infamous teamcolor bug, and more recently the squad bug has appeared (although the squad bug may be more related to the server control program bf2cc). They have patched serveral times already without addressing the teamcolor bug at all.

2. Frontend is could use improvement in design, but really just needs to run more smoothly. I personally am not bothered by the server browser. The basic filters are fine, but it would be nice if the manual entry fields (server name, player count, etc.) were actually useful. You shouldn't have to type in the EXACT server name to find it manually, there should be some ability to use wildcards (either manually or automatically), the search technology exists.

3. Listening to the complainers. The biggest issue as far as franchise destroying goes. Complaints usually lead to the discovery of balance issues. Some of these should be acted on, but the real test should be them asking whether the skilled players have developed methods to overcome the balance issue. Grenade launcher excess use is troublesome to new players, but can be dealt with by the experienced player; C4 throwing is a bit harder to deal with. Dice hears complaints about both, and takes the most heavy handed approach possible.

Would it have been that much harder for Dice to simply to increase a weapon's deviation when jumping? (so that even a pistol would only be as accurate as a M249 is while standing), and also just reduce the effect jumping and running have on throwing distance? - leaving it greater than while standing still, but not nearly the bonus that it is now.

Edit: Typo correction.

Last edited by Gilgalad (2006-01-10 10:48:19)

armin
+0|6774| Bosnia & Herzegovina

Gilgalad wrote:

BF2 is an incredibly addicting game, and I enjoy the gameplay enough to log a sizable amount of time since it shipped. There are stability issues that pop up from time to time, but they are rare enough that it doesn't bother me.

Now as far as destroying the franchise goes...

1. Core FLAWS should take precendence over balance issues. First and foremost is the infamous teamcolor bug, and more recently the squad bug has appeared (although the squad bug may be more related to the server control program bf2cc). They have patched serveral times already without addressing the teamcolor bug at all.

2. Frontend is could use improvement in design, but really just needs to run more smoothly. I personally am not bothered by the server browser. The basic filters are fine, but it would be nice if the manual entry fields (server name, player count, etc.) were actually useful. You shouldn't have to type in the EXACT server name to find it manually, there should be some ability to use wildcards (either manually or automatically), the search technology exists.

3. Listening to the complainers. The biggest issue as far as franchise destroying goes. Complaints usually lead to the discovery of balance issues. Some of these should be acted on, but the real test should be them asking whether the skilled players have developed methods to overcome the balance issue. Grenade launcher excess use is troublesome to new players, but can be dealt with by the experienced player; C4 throwing is a bit harder to deal with. Dice hears complaints about both, and takes the most heavy handed approach possible.

Would it have been that much harder for Dice to simply to increase a weapon's deviation when jumping? (so that even a pistol would only be as accurate as a M249 is while standing), and also just reduce the effect jumping and running have on throwing distance? - leaving it greater than while standing still, but not nearly the bonus that it is now.

Edit: Typo correction.
Ea agree, EA has the worst community fedback in history. and the server browser.. omfg... i dunno where to begin.

God I wish Valve made BF2 and that it was on Steam!
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6825|Orlando, FL - Age 43

polarbearz wrote:

$kelet0r wrote:

Having played Battlefield 2 since it shipped and loved every life-sucking, soul addicting minute of it, I have to wonder whether the more vocal complainers are effectively damaging the game for those who truly appreciate it. Growing up playing multiplayer games was an education in itself - halflife deathmatch, dod, cs1.6, avp, sof, enemy territory, unreal were the games of my youth and yet they cannot hold a candle to the magnificence of Battlefield 2. The primal adrenaline pumping action is something that almost every game lacks but battlefield nails it.

Whether it's the thrill of soaring at mach 1 searching for targets or slipping unnoticed into the enemy base to destroy the artillery there is a world of options in the game. And yet people moan. They gnash their teeth. They scream to the gaming gods.

No game is perfect - each has its flaws but the community that this game attracts seems hell bent on extinguishing the game if only because they had problems with it.
Am I alone in the world never having had a problem with the game since the beginning? It never crashed on me bar a handful of times. I have never not found a low ping server. I have never seen more than a handful of minor bugs (not one single bug has ever been a game killer like so many other games are plagued with)

The assinine complaints of people - whoring this weapon or that technique - is ridiculous. It droives me insane to see page after page of people complaining about grenade launchers when the only job of the assault class is to kill other players or raging about the unfairness of being killed repeatedly because of their own stupidity.

I am glad there is some sanity left here - that there are threads explaining to the intelectually challenged that this is a WAR game - spawn camping is not unfair, killing people by whatever means necessary is not unfair, airpower in the game is not unfair.

I came here hoping that this forum would be different - that people would unite with a common desire to appreciate the game, to play the game and to accept one another. Sadly short of having a civil war of sorts on this forum not much will change that short of the complainers leaving out of boredom eventually.

A tragic blight on such an excellent game - one of the best investments I have made in terms of return - that few dare sing an ode to BF2
WORD. I fucking love you.

Besides Quake and Painkiller, I have never found a game so addictive in my life.
I second this sentiment!

I have to slightly disagree with the technical aspects of the game being perfect i.e crash to desktop, team-color bug, connection issues etc. , but, I have to say that the complaints should not rise to the level that they have. I am glad to hear that you haven't experienced many of these issues, but some have.

As to being ripped off....nothing in this world is free. It take money to keep the lights on and to keep people happy. I am pretty sure that many of the complainers have no real concept how much time and effort it takes to put a game of this complexity together. I have no problem paying these people to keep me entertained. I suggest that if you have a hard time coming up with the money to buy expansion packs, you might want to rethink the methods you are using to procure income.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard