Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6714|Norway
Hi all!

These forums are full of you people with the know-how I havn't, so I thought I'd run the specs on my future PC by you to see if you spot anything.. It's a ridiculously expensive PC, so I want to be sure that I don't throw money at something that wont work/be compatabile etc. etc.

So here it goes..

Cooler Master Wave Master Cabinet Black
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz Socket 939
Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2
Asus A8N-SLI Premium, nForce4 SLI,Socket
XFX GeForce 7800GTX 512MB GDDR3 XXX
2x Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 2048MB (paired 1024)
Hiper Type-R 580W Blue, 2 Fans
Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic

Any thoughts? please share...
psychotoxic187
+11|6711
Is it prebuilt, or are you building it? I would go with the AMD 64 4000+ San Diego core, instead of the 64 x2 3800.
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6712
i agree with psytoxic and as i have that processor i know it rocks that will be a very good machine and would blitz this game in high graphics buy buy buy buy buy
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6714|Norway

psychotoxic187 wrote:

Is it prebuilt, or are you building it? I would go with the AMD 64 4000+ San Diego core, instead of the 64 x2 3800.
I'm not etirely sure about that - I know i have options, so that I can configure it like I want it..

In your opinion - why should I go for the single core as opposed to the multicore, seeing as I would like to see this PC last a few years - and perhaps multicore will come in handy..
$kelet0r
+16|6684
the OP is right - his dual core is a long term investment
i think you've nailed the best equipment
A8n motherboard - check
High End Athlon - check
7800GTX - check
2gb ram - check

your only short term future goal would be to add another 7800
get the system
good luck
devilsreject
+0|6687
i think myself is a dell 4700-
custom made 2 gb-3.4 processer pent 4- 6800 256 or 7800 graphic card
you dont want to go to crazy because remember when you buy the best its already outdated
its easy affordable and get a good soundcard always
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6714|Norway

devilsreject wrote:

i think myself is a dell 4700-
custom made 2 gb-3.4 processer pent 4- 6800 256 or 7800 graphic card
you dont want to go to crazy because remember when you buy the best its already outdated
its easy affordable and get a good soundcard always
Yeah, I know - but I guess it's a factor of how long this system will last until it's too outdated..
And it's by far the most expensive system, but one that I can afford (barely)

How about PSU? I don't want to trip at the finish-line with something as (relativly) inexpensive as a PSU..

And also - does anybody have thoughts about how much gain, if any, it is to buy a more expensive x2 AMD? like 4200+ or 4400+ ?
Tarthkin
+-1|6764
I didnt see a power supply on your list.  This is probibly the most improtant piece of hardware for a high end PC.  Make sure you get a good quality one like BFG 550w or something similar, dont settle for an average Power supply cause it will diminish the ultimate gaming power you will soon have

Last edited by Tarthkin (2006-01-10 07:43:09)

Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6714|Norway

Tarthkin wrote:

I didnt see a power supply on your list.  This is probibly the most improtant piece of hardware for a high end PC.  Make sure you get a good quality one like BFG 550w or something similar, dont settle for an average Power supply cause it will diminish the ultimate gaming power you will soon have
Hiper Type-R 580W Blue, 2 Fans <------ That's the PSU, sorry if it's a unknown or something, I'm buying this PC in Norway, so I had to improvise abit and translate - but that's supposed to be the power supply unit
psychotoxic187
+11|6711

Friluftshund wrote:

psychotoxic187 wrote:

I'm not etirely sure about that - I know i have options, so that I can configure it like I want it..

In your opinion - why should I go for the single core as opposed to the multicore, seeing as I would like to see this PC last a few years - and perhaps multicore will come in handy..
If you can go for the 4000+. It performs tons better in games, which is what you want this pc for. It's also cheaper last time I looked. Getting dual core is good if your going to get 4400 or 4800, as it performs very good in games and is a good multi-tasking cpu as well. Don't think of it as a long run investment, because by the time dual core apps are the norm your cpu will be outdated anyways. Heck they are alreday talking about quad core cpu's.
razz
+7|6683|Australia
DFI > ASUS, go with the DFI nForce4 SLI if your looking for future SLi. Best motherboards available are from DFI.
Chaos81
+5|6690
Opteron 165, DFI Expert, 2 x 1GB Gskill, 2 7800GTX 512mb's, OCZ Powerstream 600 watt.

edit: can't forget to OC the Opteron up to dual FX-57 speeds.

Last edited by Chaos81 (2006-01-12 16:15:09)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I don't mean to trip anyone up, but:

1. Anandtech and other tech sites have alot of favorable articles about Opteron overclocking that you could consider.
2. If you are purchasing later this year, try waiting for the onset of Socket AM2 motherboards. You'll then be able to use DDR2.
3. If you're definately going with socket 939, your best bet is the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, if you ever decide to drop in another 7800.
4. You can squeeze more juice out of BFG video cards than XFX.
5. If you're going for a 3800+, just get a 7800GT.
6. The NVIDIA 8800's are coming out relatively soon, with GDDR4 memory. Prepare for DirectX 10.
7. Make sure your power supply has been tested and approved by AMD and NVIDIA.
8. If anything, once all the next gen stuff comes out this year, all your listed hardware will have significantly lower prices. Just look at the drop of older FX prices upon the release of the FX-60, which is still Socket 939. Your build could go from ridiculously expensive to moderately affordable.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-01-12 17:17:24)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard