Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468

djphetal wrote:

I would never let a fifteen year old play GTA4.
Just my personal belief.
I played San Andres when I was thirteen and I am the most un-violent person I know. If anything playing video games makes kids less violent.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6640
I've watched every kind of video there is, unfortunately. I play violent games... I'm not violent at all and I'm 15. It's just the person who plays it I guess. If you're mature enough to handle it like me then it's no problem.

Last edited by ThaReaper (2008-05-02 16:03:43)

Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6468

ThaReaper wrote:

I'm watched every kind of video there is, unfortunately. I play violent games... I'm not violent at all and I'm 15. It's just the person who plays it I guess. If you're mature enough to handle it like me then it's no problem.
Meh, I played Half-Life and Unreal when I was 8 years old.
froman
+7|5936
Its the parents and how they raise there chilled, what friends they hang out with, there neighborhood.
Some people are affected because they can't tell the difference's from a video game and what they do in real life.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6640

froman wrote:

Its the parents and how they raise there chilled, what friends they hang out with, there neighborhood.
Some people are affected because they can't tell the difference's from a video game and what they do in real life.
Well, I grew up in a good neighborhood full of higher class people so I knew what was right and wrong. I learned a lot on my own though because most intelligent people can do that.
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6629|Mexifornia, USA
No. There are very few games I have ever played that did not allow me to put a bullet through someones head and get rewarded for it. I've been playing games as long as I can remember. I'm 18. I own several firearms that could easily deal massive damage if used in the same manner as the games I play. And yet, I have not even thought about thinking about using them in that way.

I did play Need for Speed, though.

Now I drive WAY too fast
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)
Does playing 'War' as a child, running around shooting each other with pretend guns, lead to violence later in life?
In and of itself, no it does not.

Does playing 'War' as a child, in a computer game, lead to violence later in life?
Oldirti
+10|6119

Poseidon wrote:

In addition - there have been a lot more murders that have come from gang violence than violent video game violence. And guess what influences gangs? Rap music. Very, very easily.
i think you got it mixed up. Gangs influence rap! What influences gangs? drugs mainly.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I would just like to point out that everyone who has posted in this thread, other than me, is wrong.
Big claim, fancy-pants.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6468

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I would just like to point out that everyone who has posted in this thread, other than me, is wrong.
Is to be read as

Major_Spittle wrote:

I'm an asshole who thinks he's better than everyone else.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York

Oldirti wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

In addition - there have been a lot more murders that have come from gang violence than violent video game violence. And guess what influences gangs? Rap music. Very, very easily.
i think you got it mixed up. Gangs influence rap! What influences gangs? drugs mainly.
Well, either way. Same ideology.

And the fact that Lotta_Drool claims that everyone's wrong proves that this thread was absolutely 100% pointless. If you're just going to start a thread to bitch and moan and then tell people they're wrong when they question it in a DEBATE SECTION, why do it?
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6640
I think it really depends on where you grow up whether or not you'll be like a murder or something when you grow up. Like if you grow up in a low-class area full of gang activity then you will most likely grow up and be in a gang or a killer or something. Video games in my opinion don't really affect people like that. I could play any video game that is full of violence and it wouldn't affect me at all. Video games will only affect about 3% of the people that play them most likely.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Big claim, fancy-pants.
People have been calling me that a lot ever since I got a Bedazzler.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Does playing 'War' as a child, running around shooting each other with pretend guns, lead to violence later in life?

Does playing 'War' as a child, in a computer game, lead to violence later in life?
When you play war as a child you don't see peoples heads explode and blood splatter.

But I will conceed to you that the war in Iraq is most likely desensitising US soldiers to violence in games.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6474|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
This shit has been happening long since video games where invented, its just another thing they can point their finger at and blame.

pathetic really.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Is to be read as

Major_Spittle wrote:

I'm an asshole who thinks he's better than everyone else.
That's not bad work.

I also like these quotes;

Lotta_Drool wrote:

FUCK YOU ALL TO HELL FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

Lotta_Drool wrote:

I hope you are not plotting to blow up a federal building over this.  You an McVeigh must be pedophiles to be so upset over the government going after religious freaks living in compounds molesting and raping girls.
See, as long as he thinks it's bad, it is bad. If he disagrees with you, you must therefor be a pedophile. 

The fellow is amusing, though somewhat of a challenge to take seriously.
I think I liked him better as MajorSpittle.

Lotta_Drool wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Big claim, fancy-pants.
People have been calling me that a lot ever since I got a Bedazzler.
You sir, are no Fancy_Pollux

Last edited by ATG (2008-05-04 08:13:38)

Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6183|Ireland
Ut Ohs, I hurt ATG's feelings by calling him out on his " McVeigh is my hero for standing up for the pedophile religous nut jobs in Waco " and his " where does the government get off investigating child abuse in a religious nut jobs compound" posts.

I guess you got me good now by posting in with that a couple posts in which I made a couple jokes. 

You know you truely are the "Fonz" of this forum, too bad all your time and focus on this forum makes you a Potzy in real life.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

Lotta_Drool wrote:

You know you truely are the "Fonz" of this forum, too bad all your time and focus on this forum makes you a Potzy in real life.
You're just a idiot.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Oldirti
+10|6119
why are you referring to happy days? Like i am dumb founded by someone who tries to insult using happy days. Real cool bro.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
Are people who don't play video games violent?

Is violence a learned behavior?

I think that there is an instinctual base to violence, and whether or not video games bring that out is a moot point.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

When you play war as a child you don't see peoples heads explode and blood splatter.
That depends how good your imagination is.

And that's the point - it's fantasy, not real, imagined.

When you play a game, you don't see peoples heads explode and blood splatter. You see a bunch of pixels that vaguely look like a 'head' that appears to 'explode' with 'blood' 'splattering'.

There is a disconnect between what you're seeing and reality, because you know it's a video game.

Question to the military types that have seen combat: have you ever played a game that you could truly say looks, feels and sounds like real combat?
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
well just alittle random sotry that is somehow related...

well a friend of mine plays all the violent games, watches all the violent movies etc listens to heavy metal (the best music in the world) and i cant exactly say his desenitized to violence... cuz when we went shooting some kangaroo's... when he saw one he had shot he like half flipped out... and reckoned he was gonna become vegitarian (he didnt) i think videogame/movie violence desensitizes peopel to videogame/movie violence... not real violence
Babb Master Flash
Justice for the 96!
+540|6381|Oslo, Norway
This game has been rated at 18 in Norway. That means NO ONE under 18 who's not able to make those judgements by themselves are gonna play that game. If their parents buy the game for minors, then it's the parents fault. They can't blame the society for making violent video games for adult gamers. If games are rated, it's pretty much a good reason for that.
If you read about boneheads (over 18) who claims that they were influenced to do bad things 'cause they've been playing GTA4 (or any other voilent/rated games) they seriously need to grow the f¤¤k up. Even if you rob a bank and kill several guards/spectators/hostages in a gameplay doesn't mean that gives you the right/urge to do that in real life!

So leave rated games alone and let grown-ups play them.

WORD!!!!
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
There have been numerous cases in that children have actually killed a relative over a game - there was one recently, in fact. It seems obvious that at a young developing age (the key is to understand when someone is 'developing' and when someone is 'developed') - if a child is exposed to cruelty and sees it on TV, where he/she may also see his/her favourite "kids TV" program they might assume that it is okay to do such a thing.

In saying this however, I have been playing games such as Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat for as long as I can remember gaming. I remember playing Battlefield 2 all the time when I was really meant to be studying. Has my violence increased? Honestly? Not at all. Sure, I still punch my brother regularly for fun, as he does to me, but this is part of growing up. Excluding this, I am no more violent, and the only thing that has even changed is that my response time towards actions is a lot quicker. Gaming also uses logic, can help in brain development to understand and solve many problems. Would I be a better person if I didn't game? Who knows. But would I have the same skills I have now? Probably not.

Perhaps video games do not lead to violence, but more the stopping of playing video games lead to violence. Just like if you take a way a toy from a child, they will change emotions as they have grown an attachment.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard