Drumedor
Oops, who put that tree there?
+17|6580|BorĂ¥s, Sweden
Yesterday my brothers old hd crashe so we bought a new one, plugged it in and installed windows on it. No problems so far windows started up fine and I logged into the microsoft update site, then I had to install some sort of updates to be able to run the site. I did that and after that I had to reboot the computer. But when windows started up again I got this evil Bluescreen of death :

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

***Stop 0x000000ED (0X81F4E900,0XC00014F,0X00000000,0X00000000)

Microsoft has some sort of fix for this, but then I have to download a file from the update page, that I need to install a program to use and then reboot, and after that I can't get past this problem, so I basically can't download the file.

Anyone got a smart way to fix this?
CrazeD
+368|6708|Maine
In my past experiance, Microsoft updates have caused me more headache than good. Anytime I've ever installed an update from Microsoft's site, or the Automatic update crap, my computer never starts again.

Are you using a 40-wire IDE cable, or an 80-wire IDE cable? Your cable should have blue, grey, and black connectors. If it has black/black/black, you should try replacing the cable.

If that doesn't work, boot from the XP CD-ROM and select the repair option. Find your way to the recovery console, and type chkdsk /r and then hit enter. When it's done, type exit and press enter. Then, press enter again to restart your computer.

Try that and post the results.
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6559|Little blue planet, milky way
mmm... Pirated Xp ?
Just asking, because problems with the updater is mainly caused by this, in my experience.
Now i'm not going to give a recipee for how you can fix your pirated version, if that's the case, but I will tell you that if the package is a part of a service pack, you'd be much better off trying ot install the service pack than the update. and if you happen to find a windows SP2 that'll work, from somewhere NOT microsofts site, then feel free to try it. Ofcourse at your own risk. Downloading from an unautorized distributor may lead to some undesirable effects, there may be worms, viruses etc. But if you can find a clean version, then use it.

now if the fix ISN'T a part of a service pack, then exactly WHY do you need the patch ? Maybe there's another way to fix the problem than using the updater ?
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6432|Indianapolis, IN

Twist wrote:

mmm... Pirated Xp ?
Just asking, because problems with the updater is mainly caused by this, in my experience.
Now i'm not going to give a recipee for how you can fix your pirated version, if that's the case, but I will tell you that if the package is a part of a service pack, you'd be much better off trying ot install the service pack than the update. and if you happen to find a windows SP2 that'll work, from somewhere NOT microsofts site, then feel free to try it. Ofcourse at your own risk. Downloading from an unautorized distributor may lead to some undesirable effects, there may be worms, viruses etc. But if you can find a clean version, then use it.

now if the fix ISN'T a part of a service pack, then exactly WHY do you need the patch ? Maybe there's another way to fix the problem than using the updater ?
The first step I'd take is; Try to boot into Safe Mode 'This is done by pressing f8 after BIOS Post'. If you are able to get in to safe mode, go to add/remove programs and nuke that SP.

If this doesn't work try the suggestion by CrazeD and using XP recovery console, by running chkdsk, you could even run fixboot and fixmbr after this is completed. If you are still unable to repair this; reinstall the OS and MANUALLY download/install SP2 as opposed to those shitty Auto-updates.

SP2 for IT professionals
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

Last edited by misconfiguration (2006-11-05 06:48:41)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard